DIY: SSG / SMG Leaking Slave Cylinder Repair. - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #81
thurston512

My Ride: 2004 325iT SMG1
I will post up the details today. You should just take the car to a Mechanic that understands SSG/SMG and has the software to bleed and adapt once the repair is complete. It is necessary.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #82
thurston512

Here are a few pics of the Seal I am currently using.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSG Seal 1.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	679793   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSG Seal 2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	679801   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSG Seal 3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	679809  
Old 09-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #83
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Great thread, very helpful. Anyone have any links to where i can purchase the proper seal.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #84
thurston512

I would recommend contacting a local hydraulic repair shop. Pull the slave apart and take the internal piston to them for measurement. They can order any size.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #85
wandido

My Ride: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant View Post

Seal is still working fine. I did not consider using a lathe on the piston, but it's a good idea if you have a lathe available to you.
Constant,
Any new updates?
Any good updates?
wandido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #86
wandido

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurston512 View Post
Here are a few pics of the Seal I am currently using.
How is it working so far?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #87
thurston512

all good so far. I also changed out my pump accumulator with an M3 one, works great.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #88
wandido

Quote:
all good so far. I also changed out my pump accumulator with an M3 one, works great.
Where exactly did you get this? online?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #89
thurston512

I got it from a local hydraulic repair shop here in town.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #90
Dogthebountyhunter

any other places the ssg can leak from? I can't visibly see anything leaking, just an empty res and smoke when i guess it lands on the shield. Pump and everythin else looks clean
Old 10-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #91
thurston512

The reservoir can leak at the cap, and where the line intersects the reservoir. Obviously the slave can leak, and you would see that it is wet at the edge of the trans bell housing. The o-rings on the reservoir are green AC type. I would fill it and replace those o-rings to start with. If you can't see any leaks it could have been low for quite some time and you are just now having issues. Once it is topped off, it is obvious once it starts leaking again.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #92
Dogthebountyhunter

Thanks for the reply, I have topped it off before. Turns out it was the slave. Just couldn't see the leak. Waiting on some seals to be delivered so hopefully that'll do it.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #93
05SMG

My Ride: F30 F80
Year: 2015
Model: O5' 330ci (RIP)
Transmission: SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have topped it off before. Turns out it was the slave. Just couldn't see the leak. Waiting on some seals to be delivered so hopefully that'll do it.
Dog and others on this thread. I've been following this topic because I have the same transmission (no issues yet) and want to stay on top of it. Question: when you topped off the reservoir how hard is it to crack the fill cap? (Pink circle) mine has to be original reservoir and this would be the last fluid in the car I haven't changed. I definitely don't want to crack the reservoir fill cap and/or neck as the plastic seems brittle from heat and age. #2) Do you know if the blue circled cap is a vent? I recently flushed the gearbox and remember being able to spin it freely. Lastly, could you tell any noticeable difference in the color and quality of the old hydraulic fluid versus new fluid? I'm thinking that fresh CHF11s cycled through will help shifting, slave seal life and O ring longevity.
There are very few of these SSG's out there and it's nice to see people working through issues with them instead of ripping it out and swapping them to a three pedal car.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5847.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	695993  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #94
Dogthebountyhunter

My fill cap was not brittle when I took it off, I'm surprised actually. I'm not sure if that is a vent tube but I would assume so. Our ps resoviors have vents, chf11s is also used as power steering fluid so I would assume same principle applies. When I filled mine it was completely dry, so I can't comment on the color or difference in old fluid vs new. I actually really like the smg in my car a lot, so I'm hoping that the new seal will hold up when i install it. Sucks that there is a major lack of info about these ssgs, but they are pretty simple systems, atleast for the non m.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #95
05SMG

My Ride: F30 F80
Year: 2015
Model: O5' 330ci (RIP)
Transmission: SMG
Quote:
My fill cap was not brittle when I took it off, I'm surprised actually. I'm not sure if that is a vent tube but I would assume so. Our ps resoviors have vents, chf11s is also used as power steering fluid so I would assume same principle applies. When I filled mine it was completely dry, so I can't comment on the color or difference in old fluid vs new. I actually really like the smg in my car a lot, so I'm hoping that the new seal will hold up when i install it. Sucks that there is a major lack of info about these ssgs, but they are pretty simple systems, atleast for the non m.
So you basically undo the cap and somehow with a transfer pump (I've got a set up for the gear box fluid) put in new fluid until it spills out the hole, cap it, wipe it off and it's done?

I got lucky on my slave seal... previous owner in 2014 had the dealer replace the whole cylinder slave and all. I'm sure it'll leak on down the road or maybe the accumulator won't hold a charge, but everything is still dry after 35,000 miles.
For the record here are a couple of notes on my system and how I drive it (which I think has helped its longevity and if you folks see anything odd here let me know:

1)On a cold or fresh start, the keyfob or door handle will trigger the pump to prime. I've timed this to be exactly 6 seconds on a fresh battery for the last 2 years.

2)The pumps priming and boosting the psi back to the proper level (80 bar from what I've read) every so often. I can really only hear it prime with the car at idle with the windows down. If I'm working on the car either detailing and cycling the door a lot, I'll only hear the pump prime once in maybe :45 minutes time. In other words, if I walk out and open a door and the pump primes but I go back inside, it'll hold that charge for at least :45 minutes.

3) I use manual either stick or paddles 99% of the time. I'll always let off the gas pull the paddle or shifter into the next gear and "let it fall" into gear with just a smidgen of car deceleration and add throttle. The whole shifting technique is best described as "sleight of hand." I've become pretty efficient at it to the point where it'll feel like the car has an automatic.

4) The sport mode does provide quicker shifts, but it'll tend to bang on my car in the back end somewhere a bit more so run around non sport. I've heard the sport mode on will prolong clutch life? but I'm not giving the car any throttle until I feel it's in gear thus avoiding the built in slip that occurs if adding gas immediately after changing gear.

5) I always shut off the car in gear either 1st or reverse. If not, it'll beep at you 9 times telling you "hey, I'm not in gear."

6) Restarting the car I'll always place the shifter in neutral and turn the key.

I like mine too. At first I was thinking I bought a time bomb but after realizing it's not the complex programmable system on the M3 I relaxed a little bit. I'm sure I'm like everyone else when driving it I'm 99 percent in the manual mode. When I've got a cup of coffee in my hand it's nice to go hands free. I'm pretty much stuck with my coupe as I'm sure it'll be pretty tough trying to find a buyer much less explain what the SSG is so with that I'm personally committed to this transmission for the long haul. Besides, somebody's gotta drive these.
Sorry for the lengthy post,
Good luck with the new seals.

Last edited by 05SMG; 11-01-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Typo
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #96
Dogthebountyhunter

That's pretty much how I filled mine up. I didn't bleed since I new it would leak again. Thanks for the good luck. I ordered a few different seals to try based on the dimensions posted on this thread by thruston. If it works I'll post the links to buy them. Surprisingly there aren't many online suppliers that carry a wide range of seals.

Last edited by Dogthebountyhunter; 11-01-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #97
Dogthebountyhunter

Quote:
That's pretty much how I filled mine up. I didn't bleed since I new it would leak again. Thanks for the good luck. I ordered a few different seals to try based on the dimensions posted on this thread by thruston. If it works I'll post the links to buy them. Surprisingly there aren't many online suppliers that carry a wide range of seals.
Just want to update. I installed the new seal on the 3rd and it's held up so far. I also put on about 1500 miles. The worst part is stretching the seal over the piston. I'm sure they make a special tool but I just used pliers and elbow grease.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #98
Largo330

My Ride: E46 330ci
Quote:
Hi man, What are the benefits with the m3 accumulator. Does is fit straigt on the ssg hydraulic unit?
Largo330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #99
thurston512

Largo330, the benefit for me was that you could actually obtain one easily! It does screw right in and works fine. As for my seal repair, my slave is leaking again........ I am pulling it this weekend as I suspect that I may need to address the internal cylinder of the slave. I am hopeful that it will have a few small marks in it or that the seal will have damage. If it is swollen and broken down, I will post up and try a different material this next time. For what its worth, we can buy a new slave on ECS for $1000.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #100
domibln

My Ride: E46 325Ci SMG
Quote:
For what its worth, we can buy a new slave on ECS for $1000.
Not to forget, that we still offer complete repair of the part including warranty. Don‘t want to link anything here, but those who have a leaking actuator generally always find us before paying the absurd price at BMW.