Mystic Blue 325Ti Compact Sport - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
eezeh

My Ride: 325Ti
Year: 2003
Model: 325Ti
Transmission: 6spd Manual
Mystic Blue 325Ti Compact Sport

This is a cut down version copied from another forum:

The car as I purchased it:

325ti 4 by ee zeh, on Flickr

325ti 1 by ee zeh, on Flickr

325ti 3 by ee zeh, on Flickr

325ti 2 by ee zeh, on Flickr

325ti 5 by ee zeh, on Flickr

325ti 6 by ee zeh, on Flickr

A little bit about the car:
The car is a 2003 facelift 325Ti compact manual. The facelift compacts are fairly rare with an estimated 70-80 on the roads in the UK. The facelift features a few subtle design changes, red rear lights & a 6 speed manual gearbox.
This specific car features a full black leather interior, carbon cube trim, business radio & 6 cd changer, the storage pack and is a non-sunroof model.

To do list:
Clean & condition leather seats [Done]
New storage pack parcel shelf cord [To do]
New gearknob & steering wheel retrim [On order]
New number plates to replace dodgy pressed aluminium German font plates [Done]
Oil & filter change [Done]
Oil filter housing gasketReplace radio with AUX compatible Business CD unit [Done]
New centre console [Done] _sl_

Last edited by eezeh; 08-25-2018 at 02:10 PM.
eezeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
eezeh

I've been sorting out the interior in the car with a product recommended to me.
Pear soap and warm water was used to clean the drivers seat and arm rest before being given a coat with the bmw leather protect, gave the passengers seat squab a go with autoglym leather care and pear soap definitely trumps it! Makes a bit of a mess though..

Only thing i'm not too pleased with is the steering wheel, its looking a bit tired. Don't really want a re-trim as I really like the OEM texture and feel to the steering wheel.

Another problem I have noticed is the heater panel display does not dim along with the radio and the rest of the interior buttons when the photosensitive sensor on the light control panel is covered or when a torch is pointed at it. Really is quite bright, lights up the centre console in the dark! See attached photo!
Research shows some people have had this problem as well however no one seems to know why?

IMG20180124171905 by ee zeh, on Flickr

IMG20180124172838 by ee zeh, on Flickr
Old 08-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
eezeh

The car really needed a clean, being covered in motorway grime was not too pleasing to look at.
Here is the car after being washed and a wax.

IMG20180126132020 by ee zeh, on Flickr

IMG20180126132029 by ee zeh, on Flickr

Came out quite well i'd say. Whilst in the best of condition the wheels were given a coat of sealant. They are corroded on the backside with the paint easily flaking off. Perhaps a wheel refurb will be in order at some point (not very soon, its not going to be cheap!), will also change the linglong ditchfinders at the same time.

The car was then given an oil & filter change. An OE Mahle filter was purchased from Opie Oils and went and got 11 litres of Petronas 5000AV 5W-30 LL04 on my halfords trade card. Would have preferred castrol edge but they dont seem to meet the LL01/LL04 specification anymore
BMW oil filter housing gasket was also replaced, the old one whilst not being torn or split was very flat and there was a substantial amount of oil around the housing. I am not holding out much hope for the new one however, I may need to pull it apart and do it again if the leak persists.

image4 by
ee zeh, on Flickr

IMG20180127122811 by ee zeh, on Flickr

Bit of a strange one, on this compact at least there is no front jacking point so it seems the car has to be jacked from the 4 pads and jackstands go under the frame rails. Not quite sure why BMW never included a front jacking pad.

I noticed the radiator resembled a smiley face. :furious: A new hella/behr radiator is on order, will go and pick up some coolant and distilled water at some point during the week to hopefully fit once the current one starts leaking.

I also got rid of the horrid german pressed plates, not that you can see them

IMG20180128143416 by ee zeh, on Flickr

I'd say thats pretty central.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
eezeh

A few pictures of when I was daily driving it 80 miles in the salt & snow

IMG20180301081956 by ee zeh, on Flickr

IMG20180321160301 by ee zeh, on Flickr

IMG20180321160432 by ee zeh, on Flickr

As you can see, it is more white than blue! :wobble:
Currently looking for an Alpine business CD headunit to replace my business radio to enable AUX in functionality.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
eezeh

Eventually an Alpine head unit was sourced from America (massively cheaper than one from europe) and subsequently installed it which now gives me AUX input from the glovebox.

2018-06-16_12-51-49 by ee zeh, on Flickr

After over 6000 miles in 4 months making the mileage 108k the oil required a top up of 1l which is really quite good.
The car has also developed a rattling sound coming from the rear left suspension, a visual inspection reveals nothing out of place, everything is solid and no worn bushings. The top mounts appear to be fine, a job for the MOT tester I reckon. (I later find out it appears to be a loose brake caliper retaining spring)

I had a go at dying my optional storage pack parcel shelf black. I ordered some AutoBrite black carpet dye in a 500ml spray bottle and used the lot of it, still needs a little more so I've ordered another bottle. Apparently the same stuff as Autosmart's midnight dye.

Before (handle removed and all plastics masked, inside & out)

IMG20180616110526 by ee zeh, on Flickr

After

IMG20180616122316 by ee zeh, on Flickr

IMG20180616122506 by ee zeh, on Flickr

I ended up giving it another few coats of dye and whilst it looks the part, the fabric is no longer soft. Rather it is crinkly / hard

I am looking into a new gearknob & steering wheel re-trim from royal steering wheels in aylesbury as one of the previous owners, evidently, wore rings and has made quite the mess of the steering wheel.

Some touch up paint is needed to sort out the bare metal on one of the front wings down in the bonnet shut line, likely from when the front end was resprayed.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
eezeh

Received a few pieces from Cotswolds BMW today as well as another package from ebay
Cotswold have a 6spd weighted M gearknob on order from Germany for me as they are out of stock & BMW apparently are having supplier issues.
There is no current ETA for when this will arrive but they will keep me updated!

I also ordered a piano black trim set from a saloon, as there was never one for a compact.
A few before pics:

IMG20180727145249 by ee zeh, on Flickr

IMG20180727145254 by ee zeh, on Flickr

New centre console fitted, the central locking & hazard light button was cleaned up and swapped over:

IMG20180727153713 by ee zeh, on Flickr

Here is the portion of the Piano Black trim I require, I do have the rest of the trim for the doors on the saloon however these are not needed.
After a light polish and wax (will need a good going over with a cutting polish at some point)

IMG20180727154114 by ee zeh, on Flickr

One thing to note is that whilst the gearstick surround is from a saloon it does indeed work with the compact. The rear window lock button does not function. (although this could be wired up to function as an OEM looking angel eyes switch for example).

All of the window buttons function with the unforeseen added benefit of having one touch wind in rear windows which the compact never had! (although it did have one touch wind out windows, strange).

Another thing to note is that although being visually longer in length, the right hand side window switches are exactly the same in size & feature the same attachment method as the ones from the coupe/compact (this would be for ease of manufacture). You can fit the compact switch set into the saloon trim however it does look a bit odd but you cannot fit the saloon buttons into the compact.

I am on the lookout for a coupe surround unless in the meantime I find something to use that window lock switch for!

Everything was re-assembled and tidied up, here you can see the sparkle in the piano black trim:

IMG20180727161947 by ee zeh, on Flickr

Finished pictures!:

IMG20180727164143 by ee zeh, on Flickr

IMG20180727162523 by ee zeh, on Flickr

Really does look the part now.
Sadly the new centre console now means my rear ash tray and cubby attachment look awful! I gather these are more expensive to replace than the centre console itself
The old centre console will be reconditioned and sold on ebay at some point, along with the rest of the trim I didn't require.

Whats next:
Fit the new gearknob! Maybe a new gearknob boot?
Steering wheel re-trim soon!
Possibly buy the rest of the centre console trim that now looks tatty.

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
eezeh

Still no gearknob!

MOT the other day, saw & heard the chaps in the station admiring it, tester told me it was a very clean car

Snapchat-1726242931 by ee zeh, on Flickr

Failed on a split dust boot on the ARB drop link
Front brake disc worn as an advisory too.

Familiar sight..

IMG20180825132627 by ee zeh, on Flickr

The offending dust boot. Replaced both left&right drop links with lemforder items.

IMG20180825132704 by ee zeh, on Flickr

Whilst I was in there I also swapped out the brake disks and pads with brembo ones i've had spare for a while.
They really weren't joking when they said the disks were worn!

IMG20180825182518 by ee zeh, on Flickr

Much better! Don't mind the linglongs, with mostly motorway/dc miles those will be replaced along with a wheel refurb when the time comes
One brembo brake disc costs more than a single linglong tyre, I found out
Old 08-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Great thread! Lovely car. Had no idea the facelifts were so rare. Really appreciate all of the interior sprucing up that you are doing. I recently did my parcel shelf too but I painted it with fabric paint. It needs another coat so I will certainly try the Autobrite spray. Keep the pics coming!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
eezeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Great thread! Lovely car. Had no idea the facelifts were so rare. Really appreciate all of the interior sprucing up that you are doing. I recently did my parcel shelf too but I painted it with fabric paint. It needs another coat so I will certainly try the Autobrite spray. Keep the pics coming!
Thanks, I meant to say there are 70-80 face-lift manuals. There's a lot more automatics however.
Re autobrite spray, watch out as mine went hard. Perhaps I had saturated it too much.