Eonon GA9350 - findings - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
GuyG

My Ride: Topaz Touring
Year: 5/02
Model: 330i M Sport Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Eonon GA9350 - findings

I have recently upgraded from a GA8150a to a GA9350 (android 9.0).

The fluidity of the unit is more slick (suspect could be improved if it had the octa core instead of the quad core chip??) and the apps are certainly of a more modern design.

The bluetooth is better. I no longer have complaints from people I am speaking to of them hearing an echo of their own voice which made the conversation almost impossible!

Also the layout of the buttons on either side of the screen make more sense than my old GA8150a and the screen has a more matt finish which I 'suspect' will help with saloon (sedan) owners with rear window reflection......don't hold me to that! - I previously had the old unit is a saloon and now have a Touring.

One thing that is disappointing is I do not think the sound quality is as good as my old GA8150a. It does not have the depth and rounded sound quality of the old unit.........shame, as this is "supposed" to be an upgrade! Maybe I will get used to it?!!

Another issue I am having is the DAB radio app will not play sound. It has perfect signal and I can see all the radio stations but no sound. I am wondering if the Eonon V0054 DAB+ unit I have connected is not compatible with android 9.0 ??? I have sent Eonon an email today for help - perhaps there is a software update?

Three days in.........will try and remember to post again after more time testing.
GuyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
205_zhp

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i ZHP
Year: 2005
Model: 330i ZHP
Transmission: 6MT
I wonder if the GA9150kw is the same unit as this except for the Android 9.0 vs 8.1. Is it possible to upgrade the android OS?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 BMW 330i ZHP DINAN3

Instagram @205_zhp
205_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
Cibby600

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
Any update 6 months later?
How are you finding the head unit?
Cibby600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
Cibby600

So this thread has had 1400 views with only 2 replies.
I take it people are interested how these units perform. As was I.
Anyway I bit the bullet and bought one.

So ..... if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask here.

My thoughts so far:

There is absolutely NO room behind the unit when installed and it ends up hard up against the vents behind the stereo.
Was a bit of a pain to get it pushed all the way in. I'm sure a few things are squashed in there, but it all works for now.

Overall pretty good unit.
Sound is as good, if not slightly better than stock head unit. Sounds is noticeably better with my worn out stock speakers.
Has all the bells and whistles you would expect from an android head unit.
Connects to my OBD2 dongle reliably and displays what I need through the Torque app.

Connects quickly and reliably to my phone for bluetooth hands free calling etc.
I did not use the supplied external mic that came with the kit but forked out $25 for a good quality lapel mic.
Stuck the mic to the top of the steering column and people say it sounds very close to using the phone in a normal manner, not hands free.

I installed CarWebGuru launcher and it is pretty cool. Set up to display BMW logo etc.

The only fault I found so far is that it would not connect to my home network over Wifi.
I do not broadcast my SSID, so I manually add a network etc, but it would not connect.
I had to change router settings to display the SSID before it would connect.

Eonon suggested a software upgrade and sent me the links and instructions.
It did not fix the issue, so I just leave my home network broadcasting the SSID.
The upgrade does install a newer version of Android and I lost the Torqe Pro App in the process.
Eonon have told me it is still in the APKInstaller and to re-install it. I haven't done so yet.

No problems with bad radio reception, boot time is about 45Sec from off, instant from sleep mode.

Reverse camera auto cut with volume attenuation is nice and works well so far.
GPS connects well with no drops out etc so far. I placed the GPS antenna behind my instrument cluster.
Pulled the cluster out and stuck it behind there. Good unobstructed view of the sky from just under the dash hump over the cluster.

All in all, I say it is well worth the money so far. How long it lasts or holds up is a different story.
I will post any further findings, good or bad, here!

Cheers.

Last edited by Cibby600; 02-06-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:08 AM   #5
bmwdud121

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibby600 View Post
So this thread has had 1400 views with only 2 replies.
I take it people are interested how these units perform. As was I.
Anyway I bit the bullet and bought one.

So ..... if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask here.

All in all, I say it is well worth the money so far. How long it lasts or holds up is a different story.
I will post any further findings, good or bad, here!

Cheers.
Thanks for the review! Am on the fence between an Eonon and Joying unit... Had a few questions if you have a sec
Was wondering if you'd given android auto or carplay a shot with your unit? That's what I'm looking at running.
Did you get the 7" or 9" version? And is there a glare issue with sunlight?
Do you have HK system?

Thanks, mate
bmwdud121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
GuyG

I gave up with this unit after about two weeks due to the Eonon DAB radio app (and every other non Eonon DAB radio app I tried) not working with this unit. Perhaps it is an android 9.0 thing.....I just don't know!

Countless emails to Eonon customer support daily over 10 days requesting videos from me and, asking me to upgrade software etc which took up countless hours but, without success. It would have been nice/normal for a company's products to actually work together. The Eonon V0054 DAB unit was advertised when I purchased the GA9350 as an available accessory, however I now see on the Eonon page it says "Support Eonon V0054 External DAB+(Not Included)"!!
Eonon did eventually admit defeat and reluctantly offered to take the unit back but did not issue me a completely full refund. I got the impression I was the bad guy......charming!

I decided to re-install the old GA8150a, bought an independent dash camera (as the micro SD card slot in the GA8150a had failed) and have been using it ever since without any drama. The sound quality of my older unit is superior to the newer GA9350 - maybe that is because the older unit has the octa core processor instead of the quad core GA8150......who knows??

At the time when purchasing my first Eonon unit I had done some research and was of the assumption Eonon was the one to go for. However if this unit dies or fails in any other way I am likely to try another brand.

Last edited by GuyG; 02-07-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Cibby600

I don't use DAB, Android Auto, or Apple Car Play.
I also don't have the HK system.
I got the 7" version and there is a little glare from the rear screen in a sedan. It's not bad, but the angle reflects most of the rear windscreen, although I haven't had the sun at my back yet.
I think in it's basic form it does ok, but I have read plenty of posts where people can't get the nicer features working correctly.
I think they have a little too much going on in one unit and sounds like lots of software and hardware clashes they can't sort out.
If you just use it in it's simplest form it is rock solid so far. But depends on what features you want to use as to where the problems will begin.

Last edited by Cibby600; 02-07-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:06 AM   #8
Cibby600

Just to add, volume and next / previous buttons work on the steering wheel.
Also, the telephone button on the steering wheel will answer a call!
I still can't comment on Carplay or Android Auto, but as stated previously, all the basic functions work well.
I have started to notice a little glare off the screen also. It's annoying, but I can live with it!
I hope it lasts! lol
Old 02-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #9
GuyG

Quote:
I have started to notice a little glare off the screen also. It's annoying, but I can live with it!
I know what you mean about the glare. However the GA9350 has a more matt finish on the screen which is less susceptible to glare than the GA8150a. This is much less of a problem (or a problem at all) if you have a Touring (which I do now) but it was particularly irritating in my saloon......suspect coupes with suffer the same.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #10
Cibby600

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
I know what you mean about the glare. However the GA9350 has a more matt finish on the screen which is less susceptible to glare than the GA8150a. This is much less of a problem (or a problem at all) if you have a Touring (which I do now) but it was particularly irritating in my saloon......suspect coupes with suffer the same.
Yeah the angle in a sedan points right at the rear windscreen! lol
Old 02-10-2020, 12:31 AM   #11
bmwdud121

My Ride: 2002 330i
Is there any difference between the 6.5" version and the 9" version in respect to glare? I'm looking at the 9" version to use mostly for Android Auto but am (after having read this over a few years) worried the glare will be too much.
Also - do you buy the 6.5" screen to keep the stock look, for the buttons, or something else?
bmwdud121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:47 AM   #12
GuyG

I bought mine as it looked similar to stock and for the functions. At the time of purchase the larger screen option did not exist. However if I were to purchase again I would still go for the smaller screen for the stock look.
Sorry, cannot comment regarding larger screen glare or not.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2020, 05:14 AM   #13
Cibby600

Yeah, I bought the smaller screen to retain the OEM look and also read a few posts that the trim above the radio is really hard to put back in with the larger screen.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #14
Cibby600

One other thing I have just noticed, the cluster dimming does not work now.
The dimming for the LCD area works ok, but the backlight for the guages stays on full.
Have read that it may be a setting I need to disable as it has a physical Canbus decoder plugged into it. So the setting in the head unit needs to be turned off.
Haven't tried that yet, but will look into it over the next few days.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #15
Tof37

Year: 2000
Model: 323I
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
One other thing I have just noticed, the cluster dimming does not work now.
The dimming for the LCD area works ok, but the backlight for the guages stays on full.
Have read that it may be a setting I need to disable as it has a physical Canbus decoder plugged into it. So the setting in the head unit needs to be turned off.
Haven't tried that yet, but will look into it over the next few days.
You have to cut the "ILLUM" wire between the head unit and can bus decoder. Don't forget to put tape after on the wire to isolate it.

Does anyone is able to remap steering wheel keys by using the provided wirh the unit?

Last edited by Tof37; 02-20-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Tof37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #16
Cibby600

No, I just use the defaults.
Volume up and down, next and previous station / track.
The answer phone button also works.