DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 51 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #1001
donis86

My Ride: E38 M62TUB44
Thanks for response, but now I have a bigger problem, there is no video, only black screen (Audio works). HDMI works. Not sure if my Tv module, Pibus or something else died. Not a lucky day .
donis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #1002
BMW 740iL NL

My Ride: 1998 BMW 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by donis86 View Post
Thanks for response, but now I have a bigger problem, there is no video, only black screen (Audio works). HDMI works. Not sure if my Tv module, Pibus or something else died. Not a lucky day .
On my 1998 E38 with old tv tuner my video also gives a black screen when I choose CD to activate Pibus. I then first need to select the BMW menu again, turn the knob to television and select television bij pressing the knob. Then my video goes from black screen to kodi

Last edited by BMW 740iL NL; 03-09-2016 at 11:20 AM.
BMW 740iL NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #1003
donis86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW 740iL NL View Post
On my 1998 E38 with old tv tuner my video also gives a black screen when I choose CD to activate Pibus. I then first need to select the BMW menu again, turn the knob to television and select television bij pressing the knob. Then my video goes from black screen to kodi
I made a video to demonstrate how it behaves. I forgot to show that sound is present when I play around with a knob in Pibus option. You also will notice that when I switch between radio and pibus you can see "CD-04" for very short time. Last time I used pibus was half year ago and then it worked just fine. I tried different SD cards, nothing helps. I can try to replace TV module but I doubt that it is faulty, because TV works just fine. If problem with pibus hardware, maybe I can use HDMI to RCA cable to bypass Pibus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #1004
timanrebel

My Ride: E83 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
Well, I got it working now. I don't know if I'm ready to recommend the Pi3, but so far so good. There's extra steps needed to make it work:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /flash
cd /flash/overlays
wget http://pibus.info/sw/pi3-miniuart-bt-overlay.dtb
echo "dtoverlay=dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt" >> /flash/config.txt
cd /storage
mount -o remount,ro /flash
sync
reboot
Somehow I put the Pi into the car this evening and it works! Am running OSMC so need to get the audio working. Worst case I switch to OpenElec. Thanks a lot Pete!
timanrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #1005
BMW 740iL NL

cannot view the video. YT says it is private.

Did you try to select television first in the BMW menu?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #1006
donis86

Quote:
cannot view the video. YT says it is private.

Did you try to select television first in the BMW menu?
Sorry about that, now the video should work. Once I start the car it automatically goes to Pibus. But I tried playing around, you should see that in Video.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #1007
BMW 740iL NL

I forgot to tell you I also switched the television to the AV channel. The channel before channel 1
Old 03-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #1008
donis86

Quote:
I forgot to tell you I also switched the television to the AV channel. The channel before channel 1
Did not made any difference. I will try different TV module on few days. If that does not help I will try HDMI to RCA cable. So far I'm out of any other ideas. Thanks for help though.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #1009
BMW 740iL NL

checked all the connections? In an earlier post someone did not push the TRRS cable all the way in and did not have video
Old 03-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #1010
donis86

Quote:
checked all the connections? In an earlier post someone did not push the TRRS cable all the way in and did not have video
Yeah I read that and double checked TRRS. I checked wires with multimeter for continuity. All seems right. However, I guess to be sure, I could take apart TV module and check continuity from pins to Pibus.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #1011
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by donis86 View Post
Yeah I read that and double checked TRRS. I checked wires with multimeter for continuity. All seems right. However, I guess to be sure, I could take apart TV module and check continuity from pins to Pibus.
Make sure the HDMI is disconnected, because it will cause the RCA/composite to turn off until the next power cycle. Using openelec? Some other operating systems might turn off the composite.
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #1012
harmzs

My Ride: 2003 330ci Clubsport
I've bought TRRS cables in the past that didn't work for whatever reason so could be that.

I'm still no closer to figuring out why I've got alternator whine/ground loop issues with my setup, it seems to be something with the changer input as people are getting similar problems with the Dice units, and the Dension (though not as common as they don't seem be very popular). Everything else seems to be in order, just seems to be the Pibus input that whines - I've plugged a CD changer back in to test and that has zero issues.

Pete, have you had anyone else ask you about this issue?

Still loving the Pibus though - I'm hoping to get Bluetooth on the Pi at some stage in the future so I'll be in audio heaven
harmzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #1013
BMW 740iL NL

Same noise in my setup. Level of noise depends a lot on the volume level of the music and videos I play. Most recordings the low level of noise is hardly audible but especially in quit parts the hissing is noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobocobra View Post
Hi all

- Sinuslive EF-10 ( I had noise on the line )
In this post Lobocobra killed his noise on the line with a Sinuslive. Anybody else uses this as well?

Does the connection to the videomodule cause the ground loop?

Could placing a relay between the pibus and the reverse camera trigger in the video module eliminate the ground loop?

Last edited by BMW 740iL NL; 03-10-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #1014
spudooli

My Ride: E39 540i
I've got the same whine on my pibus to the point i can't use it. I was going to upgrade to a V4 unit to see if it goes away. The reverse camera is currently unplugged to see if that solved the problem, but nope.
spudooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #1015
BMW 740iL NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudooli View Post
I've got the same whine on my pibus to the point i can't use it. I was going to upgrade to a V4 unit to see if it goes away. The reverse camera is currently unplugged to see if that solved the problem, but nope.

did you try the Sinuslive?
Old 03-11-2016, 03:19 AM   #1016
PeteAU

ground loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmzs View Post
I've bought TRRS cables in the past that didn't work for whatever reason so could be that.

I'm still no closer to figuring out why I've got alternator whine/ground loop issues with my setup, it seems to be something with the changer input as people are getting similar problems with the Dice units, and the Dension (though not as common as they don't seem be very popular). Everything else seems to be in order, just seems to be the Pibus input that whines - I've plugged a CD changer back in to test and that has zero issues.

Pete, have you had anyone else ask you about this issue?

Still loving the Pibus though - I'm hoping to get Bluetooth on the Pi at some stage in the future so I'll be in audio heaven
I've heard of the alternator/engine noise coming through for some people, but not many. It's usually with some older E38/E39s. I am thinking it might be only MK2/3, but it's difficult to know.

On my car, there is nothing, it's really silent no matter what the engine is doing. So it's hard for me to get involved in looking at it. Some guys just installed a ground-loop-isolator in the audio path.

Did you try grounding the "other" wires in the CDC cable (the 6-pin plug)? I heard some cars have some extra ground wires in there.

Someone also mentioned installing a big capacitor on the +12v input. I dunno what the theory behind that is.

Really need to find an easy fix for this. Can someone donate me an E39 M5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudooli View Post
For the V3, there was this way to improve its audio, it involves changing 4 resistors: http://pibus.info/buy3/pibus-hifi3-i...se-imunity.jpg
Might be tricky to do, but if you send it to me I'll do it for you. Or I can send you a V4 board at half price, downside being it needs a PI and SD card upgrade. Though, you might still end up with the ground loop
Old 03-11-2016, 03:28 AM   #1017
PeteAU

ground loop

Another idea I had about ground loops was to install a couple of caps to remove DC-offsets, so see if that helped:

It would involve cutting those 2 traces (red lines) and add 2 caps (say ~10uF).
But if I tried it, it would make no difference in my car. Anybody handy with electronics care to try?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #1018
harmzs

My Ride: 2003 330ci Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
I've heard of the alternator/engine noise coming through for some people, but not many. It's usually with some older E38/E39s. I am thinking it might be only MK2/3, but it's difficult to know.

On my car, there is nothing, it's really silent no matter what the engine is doing. So it's hard for me to get involved in looking at it. Some guys just installed a ground-loop-isolator in the audio path.

Did you try grounding the "other" wires in the CDC cable (the 6-pin plug)? I heard some cars have some extra ground wires in there.

Someone also mentioned installing a big capacitor on the +12v input. I dunno what the theory behind that is.

Really need to find an easy fix for this. Can someone donate me an E39 M5?
If it helps, I've got a 2003 E46 with a BM54 amp with an analogue TV tuner and a MK4 nav unit, along with a Pibus V4. As mentioned, it's just on the Pi input, but doesn't seem to happen with the factory CD Changer plugged in - perhaps the changer is grounding to its own chassis and through the rails (I've not opened one up to have a look).

What wiring does everyone have on their 6pin? Perhaps we could see if those extra wires are helping and if it's seemingly an issue with those of us with 3 (iirc) wires in that 6 pin plug.

I think it was me that suggested the cap on the 12v input - it was a passing comment one of the distributors of the Dice had mentioned as the guys using those devices seem to have random ground loops too. I tried it quickly by connecting the legs of the cap but it didn't work so I left it as is.

If someone does donate an M5, I'll happily fly out and drive it while you're in the boot looking at wiring
harmzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #1019
BMW 740iL NL

my cdc plug has 5 wires in the 6pin. 3 black, 1 white 1 red
Old 03-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #1020
BMW 740iL NL

6 pin CDC with 5 wires

red and white for L&R, 1 white for 24 bits/192KHz goodness and 2 black wires: 2x ground?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-11 22.15.01.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	626509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-11 22.15.52.png
Views:	95
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	626510  

Last edited by BMW 740iL NL; 03-11-2016 at 04:23 PM.