E46 Fanatics Forum banner

05 325xi front end noise diagnosis help

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  1rewd1 
#1 · (Edited)
Bear with me this is my first repair on this car.

So, I figured I had a bad front left (driver's side) wheel bearing. Typical rumbling grumbling that got worse on right hand turns, got quieter when straight. So I started to tear into the thing to do the wheel bearing but couldn't find any slop or noise, however, when I went to the passenger side to turn the tire to the right so I could work, I noticed a clicking from the inner right side CV joint. Turns out that boot is torn. The driver's side CV axle seems fine.

Question: Could that CV joint being bad mimic a bad wheel bearing noise? Never had this when I owned an S10 4wd Blazer, only a clicking noise or maybe a slight vibration.

I really don't want to be replacing wheel bearings if the problem is the CV shaft, which, btw, I'll be replacing now I know it's bad.

EDIT: Guess I should simply replace the axle and see if the noise goes away, right? Just already have the bearings on hand and am half a step away from being able to replace it. Curious if a bearing will only present as a problem when the car is sprung under weight but be fine while up on stands.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Since the boot and joint is clicking on the passenger side, I'd replace(with factory parts) the axle, wheel bearing,transfer case seal, and support structure(bearing in housing) if you don't want to touch it again. Pricey, yes, but I don't like having to go back in there in 6 months for a related item(IE wheel bearing, etc..). I wouldn't sweat too much about the wheel bearing too much. If your going to the aggravation of pulling the axle, you've already done the majority of the work to R&R the bearing. All you need is a Sir Tools B90 Kit(press bearing on and off with hub on car).
Regards

#4 ·
"Question: Could that CV joint being bad mimic a bad wheel bearing noise? Never had this when I owned an S10 4wd Blazer, only a clicking noise or maybe a slight vibration."

Answer: Yes that can happen exactly as you speculate. As to what to do next, only you know how much work/time/resources you have to leave the wheel bearing for now. I would skip the bearing, but I have the ability to jump back in pretty readily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.