E46 Fanatics Forum banner

problems with race build

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  firstracer 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to recover a 2003 road race project. I didn't do any of the work myself, not my competeance. I had a person experience with BMW's (he had a body shop in the E46 days) strip the interior and instal the Bimmerworld spec E46 cage kit. The engine/drive train work was performed by a local race shop.

The project has not gone well. The mechanical work seems fine, but the interior strip and cage is a problem. The cage welds are of poor quality, the tech inspector thinks the welds should be fixed. Quite a bit of wiring was, apparently, carefully stripped from the interior.

We installed an AutoBlip. That was a learning experience as the connectors supplied to splice in the unit caused intermittent connection that resulted in the car going into a kinda limp mode on the track. The connection was soldered in permanently and seemed to fix the problem. We had almost two track sessions with great performance. Then towards the end of the second session the car went back in to the "limp" mode. So it works great right up until it doesn't.

I'm probably not providing enough info to diagnose the issue, but does anyone have any insights as to the potential problem? What I should look for? I'm really concerned that the wiring may have been pooched and I hear that such problems can be a nightmare to diagnose. The wiring combined with the cage issues just might inspire me to abandon this frame completely and start over.

Thx.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.