E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Heater core coolant leaking externally?

7K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  ibrahin99 
#1 ·
So I recently replaced coolant pipes under intake manifold along with heater valve and heater hoses, now im having coolant dripping off from above the oil pan? By the sway bar its really hard to tell but seems like its coming from above
somewhere Could this be the heater core drain? My old heater valve wasnt working and maybe prevented this leak? Im not sure if i should use stop leak to stop the heater valve from working like my old 1 or do some kind of bypass, The green stuff in the pictures are a uv dye i used to help me find the leak not green coolant lol, please help and thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Go over your work.

DO NOT use stop leak

If you used aftermarket heater pipes, they can be tricky to install without leaks. I try to use OEM pipes, but will use aftermarket pipes with OEM o-rings, which seems to work out. I also test them after install before putting intake manifold on, by hooking up all coolant pipes and hoses, install a special gutted thermostat housing I have, fill with distilled water and pressurize with <20 psi

In your case I would pressurize the cooling system - I use a compressor, but you can use a coolant pressure tester from harbor freight- and shine a light through the intake near were heater pipes enter block. check for leaks. If they are dry check the rest of your work.

#6 ·
I bought original “genuine” pipes to make sure they last as long as possible this area seems to be dry no stains nothing, the rest of the cooling system has been done about a year ago, hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat etc... everything except heater core, it seems weird how all of a sudden i put a new heater valve and that leak started, my old heater valve was clogged which didnt let the coolant make its way to the heater core.

#7 ·
I bought original “genuine” pipes to make sure they last as long as possible this area seems to be dry no stains nothing, the rest of the cooling system has been done about a year ago, hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat etc... everything except heater core, it seems weird how all of a sudden i put a new heater valve and that leak started, my old heater valve was clogged which didnt let the coolant make its way to the heater core.

#21 · (Edited)
No RTV....If you are using OEM Pipes, and you said you are, they will seal fine.

I think you either didn't clean out the hole properly, or you caused an o-ring to double over on install. Both are common.

If you doubled over an o-ring, get a new OEM o-ring from FCP Euro. It's not a common size, but is posted somewhere. Use a little silicone or dielectric grease on the o-rings on installation.

Make sure all remnants of old pipe residue is removed. I use a small copper pipe wire brush cleaner that plumbers use -GENTLY this is aluminum after all - to prep my coolant pipe holes.

At least you'll be an expert at removing the intake manifold..

If you want to make sure the pipes are leak-free before re-installing the intake manifold again, test the connection by hooking up all coolant pipes and hoses, install a gutted thermostat housing (by a used old one, junkyard, etc.) , fill with distilled water and pressurize the cooling sys with <20 psi. Then with a flashlight look for leaks.

#22 ·
I will replace o rings i have 2 spare 1s from when i ordered the hoses and manifold should be easy to remove since I don’t have the 13 mm bolt on bottom i can literatlly just unplug a few harnesses take off the 11 mm nuts and lift it up should be even easier this time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.