! Next to my Drive symbol. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
325CiPR

! Next to my Drive symbol.

My car was running fine. One day I change the bulbs for my headlights then the next day I take a 3 hour roadtrip and almost reaching my destination my car changes into gear hard and then first gear is reeeeeeaaaaaallyyyy weak, once I get into 2nd gear it drives normal. I look at the dash and theres an exclamation point.

The thing is I've been in a hotel for 2 days and its time to go back. Is it safe to drive with the "limp" to get back home since I have no other way back? A tow would be a fortune!

Was looking into the MAF sensor that a lot of these other forum posts talk about and ordered it. I also know the other day I ran the codes on it and it said there was issues with the CAM shaft position sensor. Ordered both! I hope its not an actual transmission problem!

Any thoughts on what the common issues are with these?
325CiPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Try driving in manual mode. You should be able to make it home. You really shouldn't throw parts at it but rather scan the codes and see what they are

Last edited by armenh7; 03-22-2019 at 10:04 AM.
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:24 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME) and the automatic transmission computer (EGS) for codes. These cars are rolling computers. So, whacky throngs happen when you mess with the electrical system.

Google BMW E46 hidden OBC functions. Test #9 will tell you the voltage as seen by the DME.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
325CiPR

What type of scanner do I need? Can I roll up to autozone and ask for them to let me use theirs? I changed out the cam position sensors and the MAF because it was giving me those codes on the regular computers?
325CiPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #5
Jagdtiger

My Ride: 05 330CI
I have ran this down on my g/f's car to a selector lever sensor not wanting to operate properly. One thing that seems to work for me is to put the car in position 2 and just cycle back and forth through the gear selections. I hav e read that the contacts inside the selector lever sensor can corrode and cycling through the gear selections can clean the contacts.
Jagdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
How old is the battery?

That trans module is often the first to have problems with a low voltage condition, that's what mine did when it was replacement time.
VpointVick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 AM   #7
Bidno

My Ride: 2002 325i
Start by checking your battery; weak batteries can cause all sort of odd electrical gremlins. Next try disconnecting the MAF to see if the car runs better. Jfoj noted maf issues can cause transmission failsafe. In failsafe transmission only runs in third and four gears (i.e. little acceleration from stops). So yeah, tank up and pit stop first i.e. no stops, no rush hour, keep you speed down and think you could get home. If it's not the battery or maf, you'll want to read engine and transmission codes. Most ODBC readers cannot read transmission module so see links in armenh7's sig for info on BMW tools that can (e.g. PA Soft). GL
Bidno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 02 325xi 05 330i smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdtiger View Post
I have ran this down on my g/f's car to a selector lever sensor not wanting to operate properly. One thing that seems to work for me is to put the car in position 2 and just cycle back and forth through the gear selections. I hav e read that the contacts inside the selector lever sensor can corrode and cycling through the gear selections can clean the contacts.
Yes this is possible. Happened to me before and the gear icon would completely disappear and the car wouldn't know what gear it was in. Corrosion on the contacts from sitting was the culprit. I don't think this is ops problem unless his car sat for a long time
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote