Help Engine idling problems - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Demkine

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Help Engine idling problems

My 2002 325ci convertible at first drives great then I ran in to a problem where I ran the car on low fuel then the car stop on the highway with me. Placed fuel in she started up and made it home . Got a misfire code on cyclinder 3 replace all coils and spark plugs Also got temperature sensor code and replaced the 2 sensors front and back also replace the thermostat housing and the upper radiator hose and expansion tank and valve cover gasket . Car started idle fine then the car started overheated Slowly,I don't think I bleed it right but the main problem is the car is starting up and shutting off so I Change the fuel filter and fuel pump, I also cleaned the map senor.Started up and idle fine THEN now the rpm is going up and down and now multiple misfires coming on diiffent cyclinders on my scanner I'm going crazy. Does It sound like and vacuum leaks or injectors? Any help will be much appreciate
Demkine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
NZ00Z3

My Ride: 2000 323i
Time to check your fuel trims with the scanner. With a hot engine at idle, look at the short term and long term fuel trims. If any are >8% then you likely have a vacuum leak. Rev the engine to 3,000 rpm for 30 seconds. If the short term fuel trims reduce then its confirmed that you have a vacuum leak.
NZ00Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #4
Demkine

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Thanks for the reply I'll check and let
You guys know
Demkine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Check out these links.
OBD Fusion: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1240733
Cold weather misfires and CEL: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616
How to smoke test: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1261077

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote