2 Different Igniters - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
Yossarian

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
2 Different Igniters

So,
I'm pretty sure my igniter on the drivers side is shot. I ordered a new one based on the website's info that it was the right one for my vehicle. Apparently it is not the right one for my vehicle. When I took apart the headlight assembly, there is a bit of a difference between what I ordered and what I am supposed to have.

My car has the 2nd one with tabs for the screws to hold it in. The one I ordered (before I took the other out) is the one without tabs. Do I return it because it's the wrong one, or can I rig it to stay in with wire or duct tape or something else? I was wondering if the igniter gets hot and may affect the wire or duct tape enough to cause a fire, or will it be OK?

I have had the car for a while, and at this point am not planning holding on to it long term. I will hopefully be in the market for an e46 convertible soon, so I don't want to put much money into a 20 year old 323 with 273K on the odometer. Easy way out is to make it work. The other way is to make them pay shipping to take it back and send me the right one.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	801237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	801239  

Last edited by BaliDawg; 05-24-2020 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Photo fix
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
BaliDawg
Here to serve yíall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Pics aren't showing up. Maybe fix the links?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Where did you get the part number? Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your carís VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Headlights are in lighting.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Where did you get the part number? Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your carís VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Headlights are in lighting.
Thanks, I have that site bookmarked already. But these are not genuine BMW. Just looking for a cheap fix this time.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
E46's have 2 different brands of xenon headlights, with different ballasts. The igniter isn't that much of a deal, as long as they both fit.

E46 320Ci FL swapped to 330Ci
Bilstein B12 - H&R sways
mega_stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
Might I suggest zip ties? They even make 'em
with loops so you could bolt one or 2 to the hold- down stud.

Hungry Joe
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Yossarian

I guess I will just make it work instead of going through the hassle of a return/exchange. Apparently the igniter doesn't get too hot so that won't be an issue. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:41 AM   #8
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: B30_TS3
Year: 2001
Transmission: DCT GS7D36SG
What about the wires? There are 2-wire and 3-wire igniters

||

paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
What about the wires? There are 2-wire and 3-wire igniters
Mine is a 2 wire as is the one I purchased. Just a different fastening system. I think I'm ok.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
Yossarian

Well, that didn't work. After a very brief period of working for about a minute, the driver side low beam is out again. So it's not the ballast, it's not the igniter, the only thing left that I can figure is the light switch/control module. I will grab a used one off Ebay since I can try it for $30. Can I just plug it in or do I have to some type of coding? I have PA Soft 1.4. Is that enough?