Stumped: Misfire cyl 6 above 6k RPM - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #21
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
This little guy was the culprit. New box on the left, old sensor on the right

Installed the new crankshaft position sensor and car runs great all the way to redline.
Nice to get it figured out. Ahhh...

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #22
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
ok so I was wrong, that crankshaft sensor did not fix the issue.

After the car sat all winter in storage, I decided to also replace the headers. My ebay headers were 10 years old and had 100k miles on them, and I suspect I had a slight exhaust leak. Desperate, I replaced them with bimmerbrakes gen 3 headers, but that did not fix my misfire issue either.

So now the list of things I've tried looks like this:
  • Swapped spark plugs and coil from cyl 6 to 1
  • Also replaced spark plugs with new plugs
  • Replaced cyl 6 fuel injector and inspected the electrical connector
  • Confirmed AFR of about 11:1 at the time of the misfire (suggesting the fuel system is keeping up fine since its not leaning out)
  • Removed the ESS manifold and pressure tested to ensure the intercooler wasn't leaking coolant into the cylinder, pressure tested good, held 11psi for over 4 hours. Resealed manifold to head, fresh gaskets, torqued to spec.
  • Compression tested: between 209 and 211 psi across all 6 cylinders
  • Free-rev to 6k RPM, held there, no misfires, it only happens under sustained load
  • Installed M3 motor mounts to match M3 trans mounts
  • Flashed known good tune to the car, still misfires
  • Replaced headers and installed all new hardware and gaskets, confirmed no exhaust leaks

This misfire problem only started after having the clutch and flywheel replaced. I've driven the car hard all summer and it wasn't an issue until that night on my way home from the shop after the clutch and flywheel install.

I feel like I've cleared every "real" source of a misfire (fuel is good, ignition is good, air is good), so I'm still thinking the problem has something to do with the detection of the misfire itself.

I mean, is it possible the new clutch and flywheel combo changed harmonics or something in just the right way that the DME thinks it detects a misfire?

I'm running a LUK OEM-style dual mass flywheel with a Sachs Performance clutch, and in case it matters I have an ATI super damper on the other end of the crank.

Build thread: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 04-14-2019 at 02:58 PM.
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #23
MadToha

My Ride: E46 330 ESS Touring
Maybe it's time to replace both engine wiring harness and ms45 ecu itself?
MadToha is offline   Reply With Quote