E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear Axle Differences - Early 01 vs Later

70K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  VpointVick 
#1 ·
The car I am building a '01 330CI, with a build date of 10.08.2000 (last 7 of the VIN are JU21013). After buying this car I later bought a wrecked '02 330ci (can check the VIN and build date if someone cares to know it) for a spare engine, trans, and whatever else was salvageable. I knew there were some differences from the two cars, but this one is a big one.

The rear axles are completely different, and it is said that later style is better. I opted to put the '02 axles on because they had less miles, but never took notice to the difference until I just tried to bolt them on the car.

The flanges on the differential are different! For me, not a big deal as I can just swap the diffs since I am just running the stock one for this year and have it from the wrecked car. But, I am unsure if Dan from diffsonline.com knows about this yet, and if it is an option when you buy an LSD from him.

However, that isn't the only difference. The ABS tone ring is different on the axles, the OD is smaller on the later style axles, but the good news is they both have the same number of spaces. But, the ABS speed sensors are different, and of course the plug is different too.

The drive shafts are the same though.

Luckily for me I have all of these parts, and I am going to swap everything to be able to use the later style axles, but I am hoping that if Dan doesn't know this he will now be aware of it, and anyone else who ends up with the early style axles that wishes to upgrade, realizes what else is also different.

Early style axle on top, later style on the bottom. Very easy to see the differences, but notice the ABS tone rings. And yes, I know there is a zip tie on the one boot, I didn't have the correct clamp and it was ordered today.

Early style axle on the left, later style on the right. I took the right axle apart to re-grease it. The holes that the 3 zip ties are in actually have rivets that hold the cap on, as well as the "washer" that two bolts go through.

Early style diff flange.

Later style diff flange.

Early style axle bolts and "washer" on the right, later style on the left. The early style bolts are actually the same as the drive shaft.

Later style axle installed on my early 01 trailing arm. Notice the large gap from the ABS speed sensor to the tone ring.

Later style ABS speed sensor. Notice how much further it protrudes towards where the axle would be.

Early style ABS speed sensor plug on the left, later style on the right. They appear the same, besides the color, but the key way inside is different.

See less See more
#2 ·
I knew there were some differences from the two cars, but this one is a big one.

The rear axles are completely different, and it is said that later style is better. I opted to put the '02 axles on because they had less miles, but never took notice to the difference until I just tried to bolt them on the car.

The flanges on the differential are different! For me, not a big deal as I can just swap the diffs since I am just running the stock one for this year and have it from the wrecked car.
The late model 330 is weird; AWD e46's also have the paired Y style mounting CV's and stubs.

E46 differential is weird in general as they were working out a lot of specifics in the supply chain; very late model e46 units transitioned to the plastic cage ball bearing;

#9 ·
There are many small differences like that through the years. I've learned about A LOT of them! I offer a service to thin someone's entire chassis harness for them where they will mail me the entire chassis harness and I remove all of the un-needed items specifically to how they want by them first filling out an order sheet that allows them to say if they want to keep the high beams, or low beams, or both for example, among many other options to pick from.

But yes, the earlier cars had 2 plunger style clutch switches. One tells the DME that you depressed the clutch pedal slightly to turn off cruise control. The other tells the EWS module that the pedal is fully depressed and allows the starter to engage.

The newer style is build into the clutch master cylinder and does both of those functions but with a single switch. This newer one requires the newer clutch master cylinder too.

Either way, the clutch switch can be by-passed, and even EWS can be removed if programmed out of your DME.

#5 ·
Where can I purchase the newer axle

I haven't been able to find anyone that sells the newer version of the axle. O rielleys sold me the wrong part the old version. So I asked for a 2002 e46 axle and it's still the same part number. I drive a 2001 e46 330i 5 speed. Can anyone lead me the right direction.. why can't I locate it.. online or anything..

#6 ·
Dude, Im hoping you can assist

I swopped in a 2005 330i (DSC) engine, trans, Propeller shaft, Diff and Rear trailing arms with those later style Side shafts ( Smaller outer CV cups as you documented ), into my 2001 station wagon (ASC).

Im sitting with the SAME issue with the ABS Sensors...
I have no ABS and no speedo working..

Which sensors did you end up using?????

#7 ·
Sorry I never followed up more with this. Without re-reading my original post from a few years ago, here is some updated information.

The early build manual 330's (at least), had automatic style axles, which had the evenly spaced bolts at the differential flange. They later switched to the manual style axle which had the three pairs of 2 bolts.

The axle flanges simply pop in and out of the diff and can just be swapped. The axles are then physically interchangeable as well. Except for ABS issues as stated.

When I originally did this, I simply swapped the connector on my car harness, and the sensors themselves. It appeared to work, as the car was still in the garage and never driven. When I finally got to a track with the car, the speedo was not working and I had no ABS, which then these cars mechanically will lock up the rear tires first. No issue, I wasn't at a race and just took it easier on the brakes.

So, why?

Well, the gray plugged sensors and blue plugged sensors are not interchangeable as I tried to do. The early year cars have a MK20 DSC unit with gray speed sensor plugs, where the later year cars have a MK60 DSC unit with blue speed sensor plugs. These sensors are different internally and therefore do not work by simply swapping the connector as I tried.

The solution is that there is a very short built period where the MK20 cars came with the manual style axles, and the speed sensors from this period are the correct type to match the MK20 DSC unit, but also the correct length to have the proper air gap on the axle tone ring.

I don't have the number available at the moment, but I will look for it later tonight.

#10 ·
Thanks dude..
I checked VIN of A felow fanatic from local forum here in SA.
He has a 2001 E46 330i Pre-faclift

Part number for the Sensor you talking about is 34521166126 ...

Its grey plugged and Sensor looks Extra lengthed to the Sensor on my wagon.
Im currently trying to source a Breaker who has a Pre-facelift with those sensors

As soon as i get, I will feedback :thumbsup:

#12 ·
This looks like the spot to get help....

I have a 98 318i that now has a June 2000 330ci auto rear end. It has the mk20 asc unit I think.

The reach to the tone ring is the same for old grey sensor vs new blue sensor.

Do you know of a sensor that will work? I think the 330ci tone ring is for magnetoresistive vs my older inductive abs sensor.

I feel I will need to replace the tone rings.

Thanks for any advice.

Garry

#13 · (Edited)
Just an Update.. for reference for the next person since i could not really find Allot of information about this and the Different sensors

Thanks to a fellow Countryman of mine who done this conversion too, There was a breaker close to his place Stripping a 2001 330i Pre FL and he managed to get 1 sensor. the other i order from agents New
Found the sensor i needed
Side by side Comparisons

One on left was sensor i needed. Part Number 34521166126
One on Right was the Sensor on my Wagon. Part Number 34521164370

#14 ·
Thanks for a very infomative thread. Can anyone help me with a couple of questions ? Im trying to install bigger breaks..

My first question is the probably the easiest to answer.. is there a reason why i cant simply replace my 325 rear hubs with 330 ones ? Or do i have to swap entire rear trailing arm?

I have changed my diff for a 3:38 out of an automatic 330 .. i am a manual 325.
I had to change the output flanges of the 330 and put my own in. So now i have my own flanges and my own axle drives into the hub..

If i buy a rear traing arm set up , most include the hub, will my 325 axles slot into the 330 hub ? I dont know how to actually do any of this yet hahaha i just need to know if i can buy ANY year 330 rear trailing arm with hub or do i have to look out for certain year. I am aware the 330 changed the axles but it made no difference to me at the diff end ( i swapped flanges from 330 to my 325 ) but i just dont know about the hub ( wheel ) end.
cant afford to buy a whole rear arm setup and find it wont fit !!

Sent from my SM-G920F using E46Fanatics mobile app

#15 ·
When i checked mine, the Splines on the 325i Shafts were the same as the Spline groves on the 330i hubs...

I have a Preface lift 325i touring. and the rear trailing arms were from a Facelift 330i...

I was forced to change the Prop shaft, Diff etc because i installed the 330i 6 speed manual.

But i remember it working.. The only thing Diff on the trailing arms are the Brakes size.

#20 · (Edited)
Forgot to post the older style of axle from turner motor sport ( this is mine ) it seems that the models are interchangable between 325 and 330 ? But each style of axle is quite specific ..

Also another guy on a different thread has measured the spline in a 330 hub has laying around its 32.7 mm ish .. so this would mean in theory the older style 31mm axle ive pictured is designed to slot into the 32.7ish 330i hub? Is that logical?

#24 · (Edited)
So in conclusion there are only two different shapes of axle but more than two different diameters of those two types. TMS have it spot on with the fitments. The only 3 litre car my 31mm axles will work with is the Z4 , but after all that work it turns out the largest 3.0i has the same hub size as the 325 / 328 any way !

#25 ·
I pulled 2 axles and a diff from an auto '04 330i, and they absolutely, positively are "early" style (flange shape, bolt pattern, axle shape). And OEM, still with the stickers on the back. No reason to suspect they are changed out at all. Did not notice the WSS plug though.
I'm going to look at another '04 tomorrow and see what is there. My '01 ci and my '04 ZHP definitely have the "later" style, w/blue WSS plugs. I am trying to build an inventory for spares, and this madness of seemingly random distribution based on these descriptions is frustrating.

#26 ·
Okay, maybe everyone else already figured this out, but here's what I discovered (as applies to the sedan/coupe/convertible 330 models):
All the automatic cars have the even-6 flange, long bolts, large tone ring/short WSS (blue connector). Axles are non graduated in shape.
Automatic transmission axle:
left 33217510623
right 33217510622
WSS (Pulse generator, ABS rear, blue) 34526752683
Flange: 33107505604

All the manual cars use the axle w/2+2+2 pattern short bolt flange, 09/01+ use long WSS w/smaller tone ring (blue connector).

Axle
left 33217504521
right 33217504523
WSS (Pulse generator, ABS rear, blue ) (09/2001+) 34526752702
Flange: 33131428124

I suspect that you could change one side flange, axle, and WSS and run one of each (on blue WSS connector cars), but I have not tested this. It seems the early production 330s with the MK20 (gray plug) ABS system do not have a different axle that goes with them.

Editorially, not sure why they use different axles between auto and manual cars, but perhaps someone wiser that I can explain.

#28 ·
Haven't followed this post lately, nor had any emails about replies, so haven't looked at the last few replies above.

I grinded the rivets off and hit them out with a punch. I used zip ties to temporarily hold them in place until I was bolting them in place as the bolts go through the caps as well and once bolted in they can't go anywhere. Never had any issues since though I don't own that car anymore.

Without re-reading the entire post or looking at new posts that I was unaware of. I ended up swapping to the "manual" style axles. I initially changed to the speed sensors with the blue connectors as the air gap was different. This didn't work and my speed-o and ABS did not work. The difference of the sensors with the gray or blue connectors is between the MK20 and MK60 ABS/DSC systems. The early 330 like mine was had a MK20 on the passenger side under the hood, which uses gray speed sensor connectors. Most of these cars also used the "auto" style axles. However there is a short build period of these early MK20 cars that came with the "manual" axles and there are gray connector speed sensors that will have the correct air gap. I swapped these into my car and since then the speedo and ABS worked fine after swapping the axles.

As far as I know, the XI auto cars used the "manual" style axles too.

#33 ·
Got aftermarket boots and ended up needing oem Oetiker clips. The outer needs one 50mm ø x 7mm width, and one 78.5mm ø x 9mm width. The inner needs one 55mm ø x 7mm wide and one 78.5mm ø x 9mm width. Found these on Mcmaster. McMaster-Carr. The pinch ear is 10mm so a few sizes will work, rounding up or down.
I did the same thing, found that while the boots fit one of the Oetiker clamps was too small so ordered from McMaster.

#34 ·
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a rear right/passenger(US) axle for a 2001 325xi wagon.

I have the "newer" style with the paired e12 bolts at the diff. Can I swap the diff flange and wss to run the automatic axles as long as the splined end is the same size? Which WSS do I need?

#40 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.