FS: Canon L Lenses - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #21
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
I've never had issues with grey market bodies, but then again, I bought reliable canon cameras.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Wasn't planning on selling my 70-200 but I left it out there in case someone was willing to pay what I wanted for it and low and behold, someone is so it's going to a new home today. Mine is a 2.8 non-IS that doesn't work well with the Sony so it wasn't worth keeping as I'd have to MF the lens. I think I'm going to go with prime lenses with the Sony body, they just pair really well. With the sale of the 70-200 I'll be able to finance a Zeiss Batis 85 1.8.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #23
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Wasn't planning on selling my 70-200 but I left it out there in case someone was willing to pay what I wanted for it and low and behold, someone is so it's going to a new home today. Mine is a 2.8 non-IS that doesn't work well with the Sony so it wasn't worth keeping as I'd have to MF the lens. I think I'm going to go with prime lenses with the Sony body, they just pair really well. With the sale of the 70-200 I'll be able to finance a Zeiss Batis 85 1.8.
I think that's a huge mistake, just my opinion. Most quality zooms these days are as sharp as primes, you can even look at DXO mark testing. That hooplah of "primes are sharper" bs is from the filmdays. Using old lenses is also the hipster rage, especially the old german optics like Scheider, Zeiss, etc, but in reality, they are actually FAR less sharp than modern digital lenses. I used to own an 85 1.2 for Canon, sold it after 2 months. Worthless lens. Most shots didn't nail focus where I wanted it, not to mention, the stupid thin DOF (1.8 is razor thin as well) made most pictures generic looking (ZOMG bokeh). IMHO, the only thing the 85mm was good for was portraiture, and I still prefer the compression of the 200mm or longer. As a walkaround, it's absolutely worthless, but again, in my opinion. I would definitely spend my money on a 16-35f4 or a 24-70 G master if it was my money...or both if it was in the budget at the same time. Again, just my .05 cents of advice. If you are hellbent on an 85mm, I would highly recommend the Rokinon 85mm 1.4...sure it's a manual lens, but with focus peaking, it will do the job, you'll nail just as many/few shots as you would with the batis, and save a boatload of money. Again, my .05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #24
SamDoe1

I get all that but I want to give it a try. I'm going to pick up a used Batis and give it a go. If I don't like it, I'll off load it for the same as I bought it for or more. I'm only wanting the Batis because there aren't any more 85mm primes (other than the 90 macro) in that range. I'm also going to pick up the Sony FE 28/2 and Roki 14/2.8 as well to go wider. I want to start doing more portraiture so it's a good move on my part. I'm not getting primes because of the "they are sharper" thing. DXO mark is a lab test, real life is different and I'm not out pixel peeping every shot I take. I'm going primes because that's what's available for Sony right now.

When you have a lens system like Canon has, it makes sense to get the zooms. I'm not going to drop $2k on the 24-70GM and the 24-70f4 is a POS. You have to remember that I make zero money from doing this so it's mostly for my own enjoyment and entertainment so it's hard to justify spending that kind of cash on equipment that'll never pay itself back. I'll wait for the used GM's to hit the market and then debate getting one. I'm going to pick up a few old Canon FD lenses with a cheapo adapter and give those a go too. Can't hurt, I can get a bunch of them including adapter for ~$100. The old German ones are still stupid expensive to the point that it's not worth it to get them over a modern any lens.

I agree that the 1.2L lenses canon has are pretty pointless, people have them mostly for the red ring. You can't use them at 1.2 anyway.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-21-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #25
SamDoe1

Ok so I forgot that I never came back to this thread. I sold all my Canon stuff and switched to Sony about 3 months ago and couldn't be happier. I now run an A7II, FE 28/2, Zeiss FE 55/1.8, and Zeiss Batis 85/1.8. Absolutely love them all and have yet to be hindered by having all primes. Check out the snapshot thread for ongoing fun.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #26
NFRs2000nyc

Still think you'd be better off with the 24-70 gmaster.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #27
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Still think you'd be better off with the 24-70 gmaster.
Set up a gofundme and I'll get one when it reaches the goal.

In all seriousness though, I've enjoyed the challenges that the primes have given me. Really makes you think about what you want and where you need to be to get it before you click.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 07-22-2016 at 07:19 PM.