Clean Title Convertible Shell Worth Anything? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Steve M3

My Ride: E46s
Clean Title Convertible Shell Worth Anything?

I am struggling with what to do with my leftover M3 Convertible shell. The wiring is intact for the most part, black carpet is there, doors, rear fenders, trunk, etc. are all in good shape and the top works. The rear bumper, front end sheetmetal and interior are mostly gone. The car is setup on 323i subframes as a roller as I used this to build a S54 touring.

It seems like this should have some value from the clean title, but I haven't seen a lot of interest in it as a project or for other use such as rebuilding a wrecked car. Interested in what others think as I could easily strip some remaining parts and junk the chassis, but I would really like to see it live on in some form or fashion if it is possible.

So, what should I do with this thing?
Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
andremajic

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2005
Model: 330 CI
Transmission: Automatic
Is the convertible top the same on the M3 as the 330CI? My rag top is a bit faded/worn and one of the bows has a dent on the top. I wish I'd seen this when I was in San Antonio, TX.
andremajic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
Steve M3

I'm currently parting it. Make me an offer on the top and come get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
Is the convertible top the same on the M3 as the 330CI?
Yes, just the one convertible top for all E46's.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
Kyriva

My Ride: R1200RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
I am struggling with what to do with my leftover M3 Convertible shell. The wiring is intact for the most part, black carpet is there, doors, rear fenders, trunk, etc. are all in good shape and the top works. The rear bumper, front end sheetmetal and interior are mostly gone. The car is setup on 323i subframes as a roller as I used this to build a S54 touring.

It seems like this should have some value from the clean title, but I haven't seen a lot of interest in it as a project or for other use such as rebuilding a wrecked car. Interested in what others think as I could easily strip some remaining parts and junk the chassis, but I would really like to see it live on in some form or fashion if it is possible.

So, what should I do with this thing?
How long did it take you to do the swap? I am thinking about doing the same... Maybe supercharge while we're in there. Love the touring.
Kyriva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Steve M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyriva View Post
How long did it take you to do the swap? I am thinking about doing the same... Maybe supercharge while we're in there. Love the touring.
Appreciate it. I believe it took me about three months from start to finish. If I had to do it again, it would go much quicker

Edit, looks like it went by quicker than that, but like any project, it's never really "done". I've put about 6k miles on it so far, just want to finish up the interior and then look into the bodywork next before calling it done.

Once I had the donor drivetrain out, I believe I spent about three weeks getting it all into the touring and up and running. I was working on it during nights and weekends as I still had my normal job to do during the day.

Last edited by Steve M3; 09-26-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Kyriva

My Ride: R1200RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Appreciate it. I believe it took me about three months from start to finish. If I had to do it again, it would go much quicker

Edit, looks like it went by quicker than that, but like any project, it's never really "done". I've put about 6k miles on it so far, just want to finish up the interior and then look into the bodywork next before calling it done.

Once I had the donor drivetrain out, I believe I spent about three weeks getting it all into the touring and up and running. I was working on it during nights and weekends as I still had my normal job to do during the day.
I will "hopefully" be doing the same. The M3 verts seem a bit easier to come by.

For me, the stock m54 with the 3.46 final drive is already quite enjoyable... adding sharper handling and 100hp with a 6 speed must dial it up to 11!
Kyriva is online now   Reply With Quote