Hard top value? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
khenault

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Hard top value?

I'm considering selling my hardtop, as I never use it. What are they worth?
khenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
It's worth what someone is willing to pay. Two things you need to keep in mind:

1. A buyer will want it to be the same color as their car as having it repainted is stupidly expensive.
2. You need to remove the Hard Top Hardware to make a sale as the Hard Top Kit is no longer available. The individual parts that comprise the kit are currently available at ECS Tuning and will run a buyer about $192.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
It's worth what someone is willing to pay. Two things you need to keep in mind:

1. A buyer will want it to be the same color as their car as having it repainted is stupidly expensive.
2. You need to remove the Hard Top Hardware to make a sale as the Hard Top Kit is no longer available. The individual parts that comprise the kit are currently available at ECS Tuning and will run a buyer about $192.
And of course, your target buyer will likely have to come from within a 2-3 hour drive of you because shipping a Hard Top is also stupidly expensive.

I see them listed on EBay for really absurd prices. And then relisted. And relisted. And relisted. And relisted. Seems some sellers believe they are worth what the option price (or often more) was back when the car was delivered.

Your buyer also has to consider off-use storage which will basically eliminate apartment dwellers for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Efthreeoh

I might be interested in it. PM me if you want. I can pick it up.
Efthreeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
cloudm3

My Ride: 2006 M3 Convertible
I paid $1500 for mine. It was originally carbon black. I had it painted alpine white and replaced the headliner with Alcántara. I’m not selling but if I were I would not let it go for less than $2k.
Apex Arc-8 Wheels (F 18x9.5" ET22, R 18x10" ET25) | Hankook RS-3 (F 265/35/18, and R 275/35/18) | Dinan Front Strut Bar | AC Schnitzer Spoiler | AC Schnitzer Pedals and Brake Handle | Eibach Anti-Roll Kit | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Gintani Stage 2 SC Kit (8 lbs) | Brembo Front BBK (355mm) | AutoSolutions Short Shifter (30% reduction kit) | ST Coilover Suspension | Fabspeed Sport Headers | Ground Control Camber Plates | Vis Racing CF GTR Hood
cloudm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
UntaM3d

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Yeah $1500 is about the going rate. And I totally agree that in reality it has two prices....
1. What someone is willing to pay
2. What your willing to sell it for

These are often not the same number.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 09-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntaM3d View Post
Yeah $1500 is about the going rate. And I totally agree that in reality it has two prices....
1. What someone is willing to pay
2. What your willing to sell it for

These are often not the same number.
I turned down the opportunity to buy a twice used Hard Top that was a 3 hour drive from me. It was GREEN and the cost to repaint to match my Steel Grey Metallic was upwards of $600. Cost to vinyl wrap was $375. I may end up going for it next year. I took the first step earlier this year and installed the Hard Top Mounting Kit on my car.