Top has solid red light, does not operate. - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
stevemiller333

My Ride: 2003 M3 Vert
=
Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
That isn't PA Soft 1.4 as far as I can tell.

I'll also ask - the car is RUNNING and had been for at lest 15 seconds before you are operating the roof? Also, all FOUR windows are functioning properly?
I am also seeing cables for ista + and it looks like the software is for sale for around $25. Is that same or different?

I have done it with the car running for over 15 seconds and same results and all the windows are working fine. On the E46 they only go auto down right? They don't go one touch up do they? Mine do not do one touch-up on the windows.
stevemiller333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #22
RRRM8E

My Ride: 330Ci
Try putting all the windows all the way down, and then back up. Several times.

Last edited by RRRM8E; 05-22-2020 at 03:50 PM.
RRRM8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #23
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRM8E View Post
Try putting all the windows all the way down, and then back up. Several times.
I always open my roof after starting the car and then rolling all the windows down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #24
RRRM8E

Quote:
I always open my roof after starting the car and then rolling all the windows down.
This may reset the window drop function.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #25
All2kool

Quote:
This may reset the window drop function.
That's a completely different procedure.

Previous:

Old 05-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #26
stevemiller333

I ordered the Foxwell Scan tool on Amazon last night. I want to get the error codes asap and I like the portability/functionality of this tool. I will get the full software and cable from bimmergeeks in the future.

The tool should be here Monday, I will update when I get the codes and hopefully get the top down!

Last edited by stevemiller333; 05-24-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #27
RRRM8E

Quote:
That's a completely different procedure.
Different than what?
The battery was disconnected. As I understand it, if the window drop function is not reset, the top won't go down. Could be wrong, but worth a try. I know I've had to re set it a few times.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #28
All2kool

Quote:
Different than what?
My point is that the procedure to reset the window drop function is not simply rolling down all windows and then opening the roof.

Previous:

Old 05-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #29
RRRM8E

Quote:
My point is that the procedure to reset the window drop function is not simply rolling down all windows and then opening the roof.
Not wishing to beat this to death, but I didn't mean to suggest that. I said, cycle all the windows done and up a few times to try to reset the function, and see if that lets the roof go down. I'm going on the premise that disconnecting the battery has created the fault. Admittedly, it could be something else, but lets start with simple.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #30
stevemiller333

Just went out and tried it again. Top went down perfectly fine. Did a full up and down cycle 3 times in a row. What the heck. I lubricated everything and left it with the top down! The only thing that changed is my wife and I took the car out last night for a good ride through the country. We did put the windows up and down a few times. It also has been sitting out in the hot sun all morning vs. sitting in the garage. I don't know, I hope the error codes are still there to read when I get my scanner.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #31
RRRM8E

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller333 View Post
Just went out and tried it again. Top went down perfectly fine. Did a full up and down cycle 3 times in a row. What the heck. I lubricated everything and left it with the top down! The only thing that changed is my wife and I took the car out last night for a good ride through the country. We did put the windows up and down a few times. It also has been sitting out in the hot sun all morning vs. sitting in the garage. I don't know, I hope the error codes are still there to read when I get my scanner.
I know I've had to reset the windows several times in the past, but I can't recall what prompted me to do it. I also disconnect the battery every winter.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #32
stevemiller333

Still waiting for my scanner, I will update with codes once I get it to close out this thread.