E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Bought my first BMW!! The dream

5K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  YoitsTmac 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple days ago, I bought a 2000 BMW 328Ci. It's beautiful. I'm going to take lots of pictures of it so stay tuned if you'd like :). It's only had one owner who, by the memory seats, was a short old lady. Carfax was a bit sketchy due to the lack of maitnence records but our (my mom and I) figured that if the person bought this car outright and kept it for 15 years and the fact that it's in this good condition, it was loved.

That love has been passed onto me. I feel so lucky to be apart of this community, there's very few things I love more than this car, and over the years I've been very protective and loving to many of the things I've owned. Before this, I was driving my moms 2013 Hyundai Elantra. A great, loving, reliable car nonetheless but no BMW.

I can't describe how I feel when I drive this car, but the whole experience is so special. On the way home, I loved seeing how planted this car was compared to the hyundai I followed home. It didn't bounce nearly as much and wasn't as threatened by wind while driving at high speed. I love how heavy the gas and especially the steering is. There was essentially no feedback in comparison. I also remember looking down at my hand, and how it shines that light onto the shifter which made me feel like I was sitting somewhere really special. Also just today I found out how I can hold the unlock button and have all my windows and sunroof open before I even get in. It cools the car off before I even leave the school parking lot!

There are a few things I don't like, that make this car a love hate relationship. the first is the climate. I still don't get it, even after reading the manual. How the screen says a temperature but there's also that more influential skinny thing between the two middle air vents. Because I didn't know how to use that, I had the heater at 91°F on my two hour ride home from where I bought the car, only to be cold the entire way. I'm just glad the heater works.
I never thought I'd say this, but I hate the power. I'm really scared of it. I could floor it anywhere in the Elantra, and that's basically how anything got done in that car. I learned by mistake that if you floor it with traction control on when you leave a stop sign, you'll leave skid marks before it kicks in. I figured that it wouldn't be able to do that since the tires were new, the car is heavier, and the tires are thicker, but that clearly didn't stop 206lbs of torque from spinning wheels. That's not the scary part. I never know how much power to put down. I live in the SF Bay Area, and if you've ever driven here you'd know no one wants to be the nice driver on the road. I was making a right and I found a gap where I could squeeze in. I put like half throttle in and turned but even then the wheels were screetching a little (like little slips, probably traction control). I'm really scared over oversteering. This car is really good at making you not feel like you're going fast when you are, but is this something you get used to? Like knowing how much you can put down? I know in the Hyundai, I got a feel for it in about a month, and even though it's only been 3 days, I know this is a very different machine.

It's very hard to complain though. The power I'm sure, as a male teenage driver, is something I'll learn to love. Every time I've driven my BMW, I've enjoyed it so much that I can't help but chuckle to myself. I can just barely believe that the car is a reality. It's so incredibly comfortable. Leather, lumbar, memory. I don't feel like I have to lean in to see more or anything. I've been trying to train myself to relax. In the Hyundai I'd have to lean in to see past blind spots and such.

I won't complain about any noises I've heard because I'm getting it checked out Monday and I'm sure he'll fix most of those things. Anything extra I'll ask this community. Can't wait to post pictures of this car!! Love it to death, it's basically my child. Any tips with this car? Anything I should do or anything to improve my driving experience? If possible I'd like to know how to turn on the lowering of the right mirror for parallel parking and the roll up windows when holding down the lock button. Also does my alarm system automatically arm? It has the alarm with the motion sensor and the red siron on the mirror.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome and congratulations on getting a car you love (I know the feeling!). Do you have the owner manual? Read every page and you will discover little things about your BMW that a lot of owners still don't know.

The temp wheel lets you fine-tune the spread between the set temperature and the dashboard vents. For example, on a cold but sunny day you can set the system to 75 or so and Auto. Then turn the wheel toward blue so the floor air will be a little warmer and air to the face cooler.

To use the tilting mirror, move the selector switch to the right. Then when you go into reverse, the mirror will automatically tilt down.

Window roll-up using your keyfob usually has to be activated by a dealer or someone with the right coding software. However, you can stick the key in the doorlock and hold to the right and all windows will close.

As far as the alarm goes, do you know your car has it? All BMWs are shipped with the light under the mirror, but it lights up once the optional alarm is installed.

#3 ·
Welcome and very nice intro dude.

The E46's handle superbly well... I would try to join BMW CCA and do an autocross event or maybe a drivers course with them to know how to handle the car. it might be a bit nerve wrecking but just keep driving and you will get used to it. It does have a good amount of power and can get you into ticket range real quick. When you have it looked at let us know what they say FIRST then we will tell you if the prices are fair and how to go about it.

#4 ·
Welcome to E46 Fanatics!

Congrats on your new car. Fear is normal, but channel that fear into a respect for what the car can do and you should be fine. Their not the fastest cars on the planet, but their fast enough to make that sudden stop at the end your last. Drive within your limits and don't let peer pressure take hold. Your license, and your life are way more valuable. Racing doesn't belong on the street.

I do understand what you mean though. My old winter beater was a GMC Jimmy, and while it was a decent truck, I had to work to get it up to 65mph and keep it their. With my E36 and E46 its almost effortless. I find myself speeding constantly if I don't pay attention. I do love having the passing power on the highway which I really didn't have with the truck lol.

Feel free to start a photo thread, or build thread in the showroom section. We always love seeing pictures of members rides.

#5 ·
Really appreciate all the feedback guys. @cityjohn , you explained the temperature better than the manual did! Hopefully I won't freeze my ass off on my way into the city this morning. As for the mirrors, I called BMW Maitnence of my local dealer, and they told me to have the feature work, the mirror must be on the driver (left) side, so that may explain why it's not working. They've always not been much help. As a BMW guy, I've had a fair amount of visits there. Too bad about the window roll up. I did know about using the key but that doesn't really save me any time at all compared to pulling all three windows up before I park.

@solidjake I googled about the motor cross and it seems expensive beyond the initial $48, so I don't think that's something I can do. If I do any road stuff it'd be down highway 1 in point Reyes (beautiful driving road. If you're ever in California you should drive at dusk before tourists and fog comes in. PM me and I can give details about places you should be a sensible driver again). As for parts, I'd really like to but our friend is a mechanic and any inflation or things like that won't matter because we are going to be getting quite a steep friendly discount. I'll still let you guys know the bill and what is done. I must say it's quite sound. Probably the only true scary thing is the noise made sometimes shifting into drive or reverse, but it is a 15 year old car.

@lordvador416 I'm very good about pacing myself. If I can't see the limit of the car (which I cant right now), I won't try to find it. I'm a really good driver, and the only speeding I do is the flow of traffic for the most part. And photo thread? What's that, and should I not post pictures here tonight?

Anyway, thanks for all your comments and love. Feel really lucky to be apart of this community and excited to get some pictures up tonight :)

#6 ·
@lordvador416 I'm very good about pacing myself. If I can't see the limit of the car (which I cant right now), I won't try to find it. I'm a really good driver, and the only speeding I do is the flow of traffic for the most part. And photo thread? What's that, and should I not post pictures here tonight?
On a forum, your original post starts a "thread". Its internet speak for a post such as these.

Head over to the showroom. All the "threads" people have started are their and you can see what I mean. Most people post a "build thread" as they make changes to their car and to show it off to other members. Its usually done in the showroom section of a forum to keep them all together.

#8 ·
Car looks great and very clean interior! Thanks for posting the pics. Perfectly OK to post them here; it's just that build threads and showroom are focused on pics so they're a good resource to go to later. But here is fine too.

Did you smell the smoke on the engine? Could be dirt, or leaking oil burning on the exhaust manifold. Coolant would have a sweet smell. Look on the side of the coolant reservoir for proper level, or wait until cold and open to check.

#9 ·
Alright, maybe if I do a photoshoot with my car (bound to happen), I'll start a gallery in the showroom :). As for the smoke, we could barely see it let alone smell it. I saw it as I slowed down at the top of the hill as it got pushed next to my window by the wind at the top. It definitely wasn't a sweet smell though. I'm not going to worry about it since I'm getting it looked at Monday and it hasn't been in issue. Only other time we got that smell was when I was hard on the power. I'm going to bring it to my mechanics attention though.

#10 ·
Ohhhh man. Took my car into the shop today. Basically a lot of parts have been replaced and nearly everything in the car is sound and been well taken care of and loved. Unfortunately it seems the front and rear bushings need to be replaced. It's going to cost me a pretty $1,100 pretty pennies. Apparently the loud thud I heard shifting between park, reverse and drive isn't normal (heehee). Figured it was just a symptom of a 15 year old car but nope that was my differential bouncing around like a drunk idiot. So, here goes nothing I guess. Will definitely make sure I pay my every so kind mom back when I get the money. Definitely getting a summer job. Just happy everything else seems good.

#11 ·
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. At that age, the bushings needing replacement isn't much of a surprise at all. Was that a dealer you took the car to, or was it an independent shop? If you're not into DIY projects, you've definitely got some great indy shop choices in your area.

#13 ·
Thank you :). Yeah, when I called BMW (called to gain understanding in the part) they said it's common every 60k miles, so I'm due. It's just an extremely inconvenient expense. We did take it to an independent garage, and was recommended by a friend who used to be a mechanic for Audi so we trust this guy a lot and we're sure he's doing all he can to help. Based off the quote BMW gave me for two, I'd say he's giving us quite the deal. I'd be into smaller DIY projects, but that's a part I definitely don't want to mess with, especially given that I have 0 mechanical experience. (hope to do a break upgrade on my own in distant future)

#14 · (Edited)
Thank you so much!! Yeah, most are just becoming Jeep or SUV people but we're out there. At my school, we have this one girl with a e46 330i in silver with black interior. Her parents have the original Ford GT and a Mercedes SLS. Her on the other hand, she takes her car to Sonoma raceway quite often for Wednesday night drags (almost did that but we bought this car and school got the best of me). Just this Thursday her car had all the writing on it and her quarter mile time on it. Makes her very attractive :clap:

We do have another kid but I consider him more a guy just into putting upgrades for the sake of it with almost no benefit. He has a green M3 e36. I can't tell if he's serious about his cars or not though. I don't know what's under his hood, but I do know he got his car insanely lowered, some chrome rims, a model deletion on the back, basically blackened windows, and an obnoxious exhaust that makes him famous for all the wrong reasons.

I'll take pictures of both if you guys are interested, not sure if there's a policy towards uploading other people's cars if I block the plates

#16 ·
Wow, really? I mean, in the SF bay area, it seems that anyone who can get their license, does it get it. The only real time constrictor here is how quickly people do the online course and pass the test.

I wish that trend was more popular here, all these sophomores with fresh licenses are driving like absolute maniacs in their $30,000+ cars. This one girl totaled her Audi S4, that was a sad day. I'm on spring break this week but I'll upload their rides next Monday :) I'll also try to give any updates towards my car, but it just seems like $$$$ </3

#17 ·
Yes, I've made a few purchases in the For Sale section, some really good deals. And then there were those "few" that drove me to the dealership, where I felt like received an automatic discount. I do 99% of the maintenance to my vehicles, so yes...am getting rich that way also. Thank you for the "welcome."

#24 ·
Even though my bushings are bad, I couldn't resist but go out for a drive. I was with a girl so naturally things had to be taken to a new level. I let her drive my car and then she understood why I loved it so much. I'm really into her, so that's the ONLY reason she got to drive it, and she's a very mature person so I knew she wouldn't go crazy. That and she dailys a Prius. Anyway so after we went on an empty road at the edge of the main road. It was only about .4 miles long so not much a road but still fun, it had some technical corners. When you enter the road you have one blind corner but you can see the rest after you round it, and man does it pull! I love this thing!! We turned around and I was hard on the gas through third around deep bends and it just handled without any complaining! I can't imagine this car with some serious tires on it!

#26 ·
Well I said I'd the BMW's at my school them so here's...one. The other three are all E46's ironically but beat to **** due to the drivers behind them (one girl was high and beat up the bumper, the other got side slammed, and the third I couldn't find). Anyway this is the E36 that I originally said M3, but I now believe is a 328i due the bumper. Some interesting upgrades on this car. I have to be honest and say I'm not smart enough to tell if theses upgrades are pure aesthetic. Any opinions?

Attachments

#29 ·
I can't describe how I feel when I drive this car, but the whole experience is so special. On the way home, I loved seeing how planted this car was compared to the hyundai I followed home. It didn't bounce nearly as much and wasn't as threatened by wind while driving at high speed. I love how heavy the gas and especially the steering is. There was essentially no feedback in comparison. I also remember looking down at my hand, and how it shines that light onto the shifter which made me feel like I was sitting somewhere really special. Also just today I found out how I can hold the unlock button and have all my windows and sunroof open before I even get in. It cools the car off before I even leave the school parking lot!

#32 · (Edited)
Well I turned on my car just to get some fluids through and it because I miss it and I was shocked to find that it said my coolant was low. This was especially odd since just under 120 miles ago, my mechanic found no coolant leaks and topped it off. It's also been sitting in my garage without any puddles under it. You guys would be proud but I SEARCHED these forums for information and believe it's my coolant sensor, which I'll probably fix myself.

In other news I looked up the performance specs and was shocked to find this car stops in about 160 feet, just 8 shorter than my economy car. I was stumbled on why since this car has bigger tires, brakes, pads, and stickier tires. I was so stumped I went to my physics teacher since it kind of related to our unit right now. He was stumbled at first too, but he hypothesized that it could be that even though the tires are capable of stopping shorter, the brakes aren't, meaning the discs lock up, not the tires. Can anyone weigh in on that? If I want to stop shorter, is there a lube I can/should apply, or a relatively cheap brake pad or disk that can get me stopping shorter? I know I'm limited with my small rims but there's still got to be options out there.

#33 ·
Well after a visit to the mechanic today, I am sad to say I am selling the car. The repair is more intense then originally anticipates (as I'm sure you guys know), so I'm only getting my gasket fixed and my bushings fixed (the necessities). Then I'm selling my car and will attempt to make back most of the money I can. It sucks, it really does. I really love the color and combo and as the rest of you know, there's so many things that are special in these cars. I was thinking about taking on more photo gigs (what I do for work), but it's not worth pouring so much money into it, not at my age anyway. The crushing part is knowing I won't find something like it when I buy my second first car (because does less than a month count?), and that even down the road I may not find something as special as this car. Hydraulic steering alone is becoming something rare. I hope that in the future, far down the road, I can find something I love just as much.

#38 ·
Thank you for that. Yeah I think I'm okay now. I'll have to be honest that some issues have been over exaggerated and that on top of my car being towed was really stressful. But it seems my car is all okay now and just needs bushing and if that's the case I'll be alright. It was just hard in the moment.

#39 ·
That's actually better then I was expecting lol. I have over 5 receipts from my car where the PO spent more then $1,200 at a time on repairs/maintenance.

I got a quote of $1,470 for new rear springs, and a RF control arm, including labor to install them and an alignment. I spent $40 on the ball joint separator that I needed, and I will spend $120 on the alignment. It took me 10 mins per side for the springs, and maybe 3-4 hours for the control arm (PITA on xi models). Either way, I managed to save $1,200. I understand at this time you cant DIY at your house, but what I can recommend is meeting with local people in your area and asking if they can help you out, and show you how to start fixing some stuff. Lots of guys on here are really knowledgeable and are willing to help if your polite, respectful and show an eagerness to learn.

I had a guy on our local FB group ask for a place to install his new coilovers as his apartment parking lot was not suitable. I let him come over to my place and do it in my driveway. We never got to finish cause someone over torqued his wheel lugs and the wheel lock key ended up braking from trying to get it off.

#40 ·
That makes me feel better. Is there a E46 Facebook page? I am open to DIY's in the future. Springs feels like something in my grasp. The gasket probably was too, but I won't be repetitive in why I'm not doing any of my own work. I also have an apartment garage which is the main reason why, but it's more of the lack of tools. I'm extremely easy to work with and am open to learning if there is an FB page that can connect me to people who are willing to help me :). I feel as a teenager though I'm hard to be taken seriously, but that's a whole other rant.

#41 ·
Well after the repairs and such I returned the car to the mechanic as he requested to double check for any leaks. Luckily the car showed to be in good standing! He asked me to drive the car another week to play it safe before we take care of the bushings. That's all great.

Then today I was grabbing some pizza. I went to a stop sign and as I was pulling away, the power had trouble coming in. The car sounded a little weird like the strokes were off or something and drove like an old lady that was running, pulled a muscle, and tried to continue running. I looked down and found the "check engine soon," the traction control, and a third light come on in the dash. Then I blacked out but I pulled over and turned off my car about 200 yards from the stop sign. I turned on the car again and the cripplie old lady I once was feeling had now vanished. The check engine soon light is still on, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not anything too serious or even better, a hiccup in the system.

#42 ·
The issue I described kept me up all night so I looked all over this forum for what the issue was and a solution beyond bringing it to auto zone. Needless to say at 11:50 last night I went to my car, tightened the gas cap and turned on the car to find there were no more "service engine soon," light. I think I went over a bump that jiggled it loose, the tank lost pressure and gas had trouble going in and that's why it felt like it was slightly struggling. Fingers crossed every thing's okay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.