E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Rear water drain and leaks

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  andremajic 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone in the community!

Just browsing around, trying to find out a solution to some concerns and issues with water leaking into the vehicle and I couldn't help to notice that there aren't many posts regarding water leaks and the drains on a E46 convertible.

It would be great if you could direct me to any post that I may have missed regarding the above.

Alternatively, my issue lays below.

Recently, I have noticed a lot of water in the trunk, leaking from the right side of it.
Later on, I also found about 3-4 liters of water below the batter in the trunk, which I drained successfully.
What I believe is that my drains might be clogged.

The first question is if anyone has a picture on where the drain holes are located.
I know these can be found as soon as we lift the rear hood compartment and under the latches and hinges, but I can't really access them unless I see them once. Otherwise, I need to remove the whole hood cover, which I would love to avoid doing.

Secondly, has anyone ever seen or have a full guide on the drain holes as well as which ones need to be cleaned regularly and how to?

Any help would be much appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats the approach i used. I bought a roll of intrument copper tubing at autozone and .065 weedeater line at lowes. The drain hole is tricky to find.. i wound up runnung about 4feet of line down through to get them ckeared.. there is another where guy uses drano. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Many thanks Fumi!
I am reluctant to use Draino or other cleaners until I try to run something at least halfway through the hole.

Still trying to find an image of the rear car compartment with the bolts and brackets removed so that I get a better idea of the hole size, tunnel orientation etc.

#6 ·
Verify that your drain holes are clogged first.

The cabriolet top storage compartment is designed to take in and hold some water - but only to a point. Never park your car with the nose pointed at any uphill angle - ever. Always park on a flat surface or with the nose pointed down.

Also - make sure your tail lights - all four - are still sealed. All four of mine had become delaminated and allowed water to enter the trunk area.

#7 ·
+2 on the tail light leak. I had a missing tab that a screw used to go into so there was a tiny hole that went thru behind the taillight. I used some silicone and a small piece of plastic to seal the hole and now have a dry trunk. With heavy rain I would always have a puddle on the Right side battery cover. Simple fix and my trunk is dry.

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.