The DIY BBQ & Grilling Thread - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #41
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Me too, just casual grilling, but nothing crazy. Wife and I recently got into getting into shape, so I've been trying to lay off high calorie stuff during the week, but weekends I eat what I want, so that's usually heavy carbs like pizza, pasta, potatoes, etc. Im looking to get a smoker to start doing some of my own fish and sausages.
I'm looking to upgrade my smoker to an offset system. I like the custom builds but I'm shy on the proper tools and too lazy to get it done.

Perhaps one of those electric ones that use compressed wood pucks. Hmm...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #42
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my smoker to an offset system. I like the custom builds but I'm shy on the proper tools and too lazy to get it done.

Perhaps one of those electric ones that use compressed wood pucks. Hmm...
I was thinking about one of these...the reviews seem excellent
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20...3HRGNZXTBGJW94

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #43
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango

they are going to be waiting a while for dinner.

for my weber grill i have a smokenator, but it's a pain in the ass to keep fed and regulate temperature. i've looked but haven't seen an electric temp controlled element that can be used to regulate my weber to smoking temps. any suggestions or reasons that wouldn't work?
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #44
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post

Quote:

Nice price! I wish it had a phone app that could monitor temp and smoke levels.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #45
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
I have the 30" and the 40" MES. An AMPNS with wood pellets is a great accessory for it that allows you to get hours of smoke without having to keep reloading the chip tray. I put a pork butt on at Monday and didn't have to do anything with it until it was time to pull it off

Made some nice pulled pork and brunswick stew from it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	porkpulled.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	605114   Click image for larger version

Name:	stew.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	605115  

My blog posts:

Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #46
Wraisil

As an FYI, you won't get much of a smoke ring with an electric smoker. The "smoke ring" doesn't actually have anything to do with how much smoke flavor the meat gets (it's caused by combustion byproducts interacting with the outer layer of meat and electric smokers don't use combustion to get heat so there are a lot less combustion byproducts), but some people really want to see one anyway. If you care more about the looks than the taste, don't go electric.

My blog posts:

Last edited by Wraisil; 07-01-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #47
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

for my weber grill i have a smokenator, but it's a pain in the ass to keep fed and regulate temperature. i've looked but haven't seen an electric temp controlled element that can be used to regulate my weber to smoking temps. any suggestions or reasons that wouldn't work?
You gotta love the multi-racial harmony this smoker creates...that alone is worth the price of admission.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #48
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
As an FYI, you won't get much of a smoke ring with an electric smoker. The "smoke ring" doesn't actually have anything to do with how much smoke flavor the meat gets (it's caused by combustion byproducts interacting with the outer layer of meat and electric smokers don't use combustion to get heat so there are a lot less combustion byproducts), but some people really want to see one anyway. If you care more about the looks than the taste, don't go electric.
Looks is nice and all, but I want flavor, and ease of use as my primary. If Im having a bunch of people over at 4pm, I want to be able to put my racks in at 9am, turn em on, and leave em there until 3:30, at which point I finish them off on the grill and serve. Now, are they as good as something like an egg sealed off with hardwood smoldering? Probably not...but it sure is a lot easier.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #49
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Looks is nice and all, but I want flavor, and ease of use as my primary. If Im having a bunch of people over at 4pm, I want to be able to put my racks in at 9am, turn em on, and leave em there until 3:30, at which point I finish them off on the grill and serve. Now, are they as good as something like an egg sealed off with hardwood smoldering? Probably not...but it sure is a lot easier.
After 2 years with my $120 Brinkmann offset smoker, I think next year I am going to step up into a really nice electric one. I'm always busy, between errands, doing sh*t around the house, golf, etc.... whatever. I don't have the lifestyle where I am home literally all day.

So, starting now, I will begin researching legit electric smokers. You get what you pay for and I am probably going to look in the $500-$700 range and see what I can get. I'd love to be able to just set it and forget it.

The quest begins now

JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #50
NFRs2000nyc

I dunno, the ones I linked from amazon have some legit reviews....for the money, I think Im going to give them a shot. Think about it...all it is...is a box with a heating element with a fuse that smolders wood chips...not exactly rocket science. Don't see what makes a $700 smoker.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #51
JJR4884

Quote:
I dunno, the ones I linked from amazon have some legit reviews....for the money, I think Im going to give them a shot. Think about it...all it is...is a box with a heating element with a fuse that smolders wood chips...not exactly rocket science. Don't see what makes a $700 smoker.
In my experience with a lot of things, you get what you pay for. I haven't done much research, but for electric smokers, you have plenty that have cheap heater elements that are prone to breaking, some are non-replaceable, the material to make the box sometimes cannot sustain cold temperatures due to poor insulation. The thermostat is also something that you don't want to cheap out on as well, from what I've been reading. Also, bargain electric smokers probably don't seal as well as more expensive/sturdy built ones.

I'm just researching now. I don't want an electric smoker that I'm going to have to replace in 2 years.

So far this has caught my eye...

http://www.amazon.com/Smokin-Tex-1400-Pro/dp/B000NCX5NY

that can sit right on top of this

http://www.amazon.com/Smokin-Tex-Smo...okin+tex+stand

Expensive yes, but that is an awesome set up. I have plenty of time to research before I pull the trigger on anything.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #52
Wraisil

If you truly want "set it and forget it" then you also need to consider grabbing a cold smoker attachment or a pellet tray/tube (such as the A-Maze-N products). I use the 5x8 A-Maze-N pellet smoker when I want to have mine smoke the meat for hours without me tending it (such as overnight smokes of brisket or pork butts, 6 hours rib smokes, etc). Otherwise you're adding chips to the smoker every 45 minutes or so to keep smoke rolling. (unless you get an auto wood/pellet-loading type smoker).

My blog posts:

Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #53
JJR4884

Yep that would be right up my alley... need to research more on that however. Tending the charcoal, getting the chimney going every couple hours, etc... all set. That gets old quick. I have barely used my smoker this year so far since I haven't been home much on weekends.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #54
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
If you truly want "set it and forget it" then you also need to consider grabbing a cold smoker attachment or a pellet tray/tube (such as the A-Maze-N products). I use the 5x8 A-Maze-N pellet smoker when I want to have mine smoke the meat for hours without me tending it (such as overnight smokes of brisket or pork butts, 6 hours rib smokes, etc). Otherwise you're adding chips to the smoker every 45 minutes or so to keep smoke rolling. (unless you get an auto wood/pellet-loading type smoker).
how does the A-Maze-N work? it just produces the smoke for an electric element smoker?'

just watched youtube vid on it. nice! def going to look at getting one!

Last edited by 217Bimmer; 07-09-2015 at 10:45 AM.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #55
Wraisil

Quote:
how does the A-Maze-N work? it just produces the smoke for an electric element smoker?'

just watched youtube vid on it. nice! def going to look at getting one!
Yep, light it and let it make all the smoke (butane torch like one used for creme brulee works best for lighting it FYI), just use the electric element for temp control.

My blog posts:

Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #56
nvoges

My Ride: GTO
Instead of going electric, you should get this. http://pitbarrelcooker.com/ It doesn't look like much, but it's about the easiest set it and forget it charcoal smoker one can buy.

Last edited by nvoges; 07-09-2015 at 11:34 AM.
nvoges is offline   Reply With Quote