So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along? - Page 201 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #4001
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
http://tracinskiletter.com/2017/01/2...stand-numbers/
The New York Times Thinks You're Too Dumb to Understand Numbers

http://tracinskiletter.com/2017/01/1...thout-numbers/
Science Without Numbers
Old 12-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #4002
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
In case you all forgot

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...ce-free-today/
NINE YEARS AGO... Al Gore Predicted North Pole Would Be Completely Ice Free by Today

Obama election era
Old 12-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #4003
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
In case you all forgot

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...ce-free-today/
NINE YEARS AGO... Al Gore Predicted North Pole Would Be Completely Ice Free by Today

Obama election era
Which is why I listen to actual climate scientists on the issue rather than cherry picking dusty random quotes from a now long gone politician.

An ice free summer Arctic Sea by 2017 is obviously premature, but only just that, premature. Arctic warming and commensurate long term ice loss is still the strong trendline.

In other climate news, 2017 seems to be shaping up to be the second or third warmest year on record.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #4004
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
I just want some god damn snow in the winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When I feed the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist."
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #4005
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
I just want some god damn snow in the winter.
Actually, the greatest amount of snow tends to happen as temperatures approach, 32, warmer air being able to hold more precipital moisture. The largest, driest desert on earth is Antarctica.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #4006
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Which is why I listen to actual climate scientists on the issue rather than cherry picking dusty random quotes from a now long gone politician.

An ice free summer Arctic Sea by 2017 is obviously premature, but only just that, premature. Arctic warming and commensurate long term ice loss is still the strong trendline.

In other climate news, 2017 seems to be shaping up to be the second or third warmest year on record.
aka "none of our predictions that didn't come true matter now, only the predictions we're making now that haven't yet been proven false are to be discussed"
Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #4007
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
aka "none of our predictions that didn't come true matter now, only the predictions we're making now that haven't yet been proven false are to be discussed"
...and they are only to be discussed if you agree with them, because if you don't agree, then you are an anti-science denier.
ed17331 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #4008
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Actually, the greatest amount of snow tends to happen as temperatures approach, 32, warmer air being able to hold more precipital moisture. The largest, driest desert on earth is Antarctica.
Thanks, Cliff Clavin.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #4009
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Quote:
Yes, but if it's over 32 you're sh!t out of luck. This year I've been still running my AC at the end of October...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When I feed the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist."
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #4010
Rhumb

Sure thing, Ron Burgundy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Thanks, Cliff Clavin.
Sure thing, Ron Burgundy.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #4011
Rhumb

Quote:
Aka, aka Act of Clod, all the vast majority of predictions that are being proven are to be discarded because vast left wing conspiracy. ROFL.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #4012
Cabrio330

Quote:
Sure thing, Ron Burgundy.Sure thing, Ron Burgundy.
How'd you know I just happen to have a flute up my sleeve?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #4013
Act of God

Science

https://environment.princeton.edu/ne...ly-cloud-cycle
Spotty coverage: Climate models underestimate cooling effect of daily cloud cycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article about study
Climate scientists grossly underestimate the effect cloud cover has on global temperatures, according to researchers at Princeton University's environmental institute.

Climate models factor in too much of the sun's daily heat into their projections about what the Earth's land temperatures could look like long-term. Inaccuracies in accounting for daily cloud cycle distorts the effectiveness of a tool scientists use to measure climate change, according to a study published in the journal Nature Communications.

"It's important to get the right result for the right reason," co-author Amilcare Porporato, a professor of environmental engineering at the Princeton Environmental Institute, told Nature Communications. While the findings do not invalidate projections outright, he added, they do toss a wrench in modern methods scientists use to determine future land temperatures.

"These errors can trickle down into other changes, such as projecting fewer and weaker storms," he said. "We hope that our results are useful for improving how clouds are modeled, which would improve the calibration of climate models and make the results much more reliable."

Porporato's research found that inaccurately measuring cloud cycle results in the sun pounding the Earth with an extra 1-2 watts of energy per square meter. Scientists argue carbon dioxide pumped into the atmosphere through the last 100 years produced approximately an extra 3.7 watts of energy per square meter.

"The error here is half of that, so in that sense it becomes substantial," said Porporato, who co-authored the study with Jun Yin, a postdoctoral research associate in civil and environmental engineering. Yin said climatologists generally do a good job measuring average cloud coverage, but miss important peaks in actual cloud coverage.

Yin and Porporato used satellite images from 1986-2005 to compare the averages they came up with to those from nine climate models, most of which erroneously found the thickest coverage occurring in the morning over the land rather than in the early afternoon. "A small difference in timing can have a big radiative impact," said Yin, who analyzed cloud coverage at three-hour intervals.

"Climate scientists have the clouds, but they miss the timing," Porporato said. "There's a strong sensitivity between the daily cloud cycle and temperature. It's like a person putting on a blanket at night or using a parasol during the day. If you miss that, it makes a huge difference."
Old 01-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #4014
Cabrio330

Quote:
Science

Spotty coverage: Climate models underestimate cooling effect of daily cloud cycle
Vote to ban AoG for constantly bumping a thread about settled science.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #4015
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:

Or have him tried by water ordeal. If he drowns he is innocent.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #4016
Cabrio330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Or have him tried by water ordeal. If he drowns he is innocent.
Yes, excellent idea! Fitting that a science denier should perish from the rising sea level which will be born from that which he denies.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #4017
Rhumb

Quote:
Science

Interesting article, of from an actual academic publication. Good work, AOG
Old 01-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #4018
Act of God

Quote:
Interesting article, of from an actual academic publication. Good work, AOG
I see you are waiting for someone to email you a rebuttal to cut and paste
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #4019
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
lol at settled.

NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #4020
Rhumb

Quote:
I see you are waiting for someone to email you a rebuttal to cut and paste
To rebut your cut and paste article?