Trump continues to trump the competition. - Page 51 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #1001
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M/NB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
I suppose so. It certainly seems xenophobia is gaining a stronger foothold in America.

I don't think it's any stronger than throughout most of our history. Muslims are just the "flavor du jour of the week", to borrow a phrase.

Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, Mexicans, Chinese, Jews, Japanese, Catholics, Mexicans, pretty much everyone non-WASP has faced the wrath of the American public at one point or another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #1002
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I don't think it's any stronger than throughout most of our history. Muslims are just the "flavor du jour of the week", to borrow a phrase.

Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, Mexicans, Chinese, Jews, Japanese, Catholics, Mexicans, pretty much everyone non-WASP has faced the wrath of the American public at one point or another.
Lets be honest here...which group, as a whole, presented an imminent threat to Americans and their way of life?

NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #1003
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
This all, of course, is quite true, at least in the abstract. Assuming, however, that we're going to let someone in, or not, then who?

Do we deny all the Muslims entry? On what basis? A disproportionate level of terrorism? Then why not males as most terrorists are male? Alright, Muslim males, then, as Muslim males are disproportionately terrorists, right? Or just Muslim males under 40 as few above 40 are terrorists.

Anyways, you can see where this is going - that we actually should impart some actual empirical discernment to address the actual threats. Yawning Trumpian pronouncements about gating our borders to, what, a quarter of the Earth's population, seems at best clumsy and I'll-informed, at worst an appeal to bigotry, xenophobia and nativism.

In the end, it's a horribly bad idea for some or all these reasons and Trump should be held to account for proposing such a bad idea.
Meh, Trump might have put forth an incorrectly worded idea, but he brought to light something no one wants to talk about. How about for starters, we start looking at social media of some of these folks and dispense with the "random" selection, and actually use our heads of who we "select" for a screening? Lets dispense the PC crap first (thank Trump for that), and then we can move on with problem solving...Obumbles can't even call it islamic terrorism, so he's a lost cause.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #1004
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Lets be honest here...which group, as a whole, presented an imminent threat to Americans and their way of life?

All of them, at the time.

And yet, somehow, the republic has endured.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #1005
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
All of them, at the time.

And yet, somehow, the republic has endured.
Jews presented a threat to Americans and the American way of life? Now you have me curious.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #1006
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Jews presented a threat to Americans and the American way of life? Now you have me curious.

Being Jews, they were a threat to the American way of life.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #1007
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Being Jews, they were a threat to the American way of life.
Interesting....I'd be interested to hear about how jews threaten a nation who's existence and laws are built/based on judeo/christian principles.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #1008
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Interesting....I'd be interested to hear about how jews threaten a nation who's existence and laws are built/based on judeo/christian principles.

Because pretty much everyone has hated/feared/mistrusted the Jews at one point or another.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #1009
wildirish317

My Ride: 2005 330Ci vert
Quote:
Because pretty much everyone has hated/feared/mistrusted the Jews at one point or another.
You would have to lump Catholics, along with every other group that NFR mentioned, into this hated/feared/mistrusted group. Whichever was the most predominant immigrant group at the time was the most mistrusted.

The difference is that they didn't come over here and start terrorizing the populace. Muslims aren't the predominant immigration group right now. Without doing the research, I would guess it's the Hispanics.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller - BIMMER
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #1010
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
You would have to lump Catholics, along with every other group that NFR mentioned, into this hated/feared/mistrusted group. Whichever was the most predominant immigrant group at the time was the most mistrusted.

The difference is that they didn't come over here and start terrorizing the populace. Muslims aren't the predominant immigration group right now. Without doing the research, I would guess it's the Hispanics.

Like i said. Muslims are the current hot topic for xenophobia. Just a few short months ago it was Mexican rapists. There's always another minority group we can shift the lens to.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #1011
wildirish317

Quote:
Like i said. Muslims are the current hot topic for xenophobia. Just a few short months ago it was Mexican rapists. There's always another minority group we can shift the lens to.
So, you think next year it will be someone else? And how do you call this xenophobia? I'm simply trying to understand Islam. From what I gather so far, their sole intent is to conquer the world - make everyone either Muslim or submit to Islam. Show me where I'm wrong, because I really don't want to believe this. I'm not afraid of that, but I am concerned.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #1012
badfast

My Ride: A car
Where are you trying to understand Islam from?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #1013
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

Mistrusted, dirty, bad food, drunks, cheap, big noses, funny hats, or questionable architecture tastes are not THREATS to American citizens. The only group that has indeed come close are the latinos, with their ruthlessly violent gangs, their dominance of the drug trade, and their dominance in illegal immigration VIOLENCE. Trump was correct on both counts, but said it in poor form, and poor taste. Watching the debate tonight, I think Cruz and Fiorina are capable of delivering the same message, in a much more polished manner.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #1014
wildirish317

Quote:
http://www.cair.com/

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.anti-cair-net.org/

and

https://forum.e46fanatics.com Political Talk

Admittedly, my resources are limited, but I'm just getting started. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Old 12-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #1015
badfast

In watching the debate Paul is the only one capable of showing intellectual sophistication.

Last edited by badfast; 12-15-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #1016
badfast

Quote:
http://www.cair.com/

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

http://www.anti-cair-net.org/

and

https://forum.e46fanatics.com Political Talk

Admittedly, my resources are limited, but I'm just getting started. Any suggestions?
The Koran should be included. That way you can prevent the cherry picking of quotes and dismissing of context as what frequently happens with the Bible.

I will see if I have some good books to recommend. Still in the transition of the move. All my books are still at the other house.

Last edited by badfast; 12-15-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #1017
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
He has the same dilemma that most that don't know Islam have....the triangle...

The wahhabists (extremists) AND those that support/sympathize with them, the moderates, and the WRITINGS of the Quran. It is quite a complex web.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #1018
wildirish317

Quote:
with their ruthlessly violent gangs, their dominance of the drug trade, and their dominance in illegal immigration VIOLENCE.
In the 1970s this would be the Italian mafia, except maybe immigration.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #1019
badfast

Quote:
He has the same dilemma that most that don't know Islam have....the triangle...

The wahhabists (extremists) AND those that support/sympathize with them, the moderates, and the WRITINGS of the Quran. It is quite a complex web.
Yep, it is very complex. And even how the different groups interpret the Koran. I saw a great interview on CNN and the guy was destroying the CNN anchors. But one point he made clear is that religions are neither good or evil. It is what the people bring to it. And he used Buddhism as an example. No one would say it is violent religion but it does have those which act in violence and use its name to do so.

Edit: found it

Last edited by badfast; 12-15-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #1020
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
In the 1970s this would be the Italian mafia, except maybe immigration.
Not quite the same. Italian mafia wasn't like MS13, but even still, I wasn't even in the US back then...or on this planet yet....would you say Americans are/were scared of Italians? I know a number of people (jews) that live/lived in HEAVILY mobbed (even to this day) areas, and everyone agrees, the nicest, safest, most pleasant areas to live. If Im walking down the street at night, and I see 3 mobsters, I don't even break a sweat. If Im walking down the street, and I see three cholos with MS13 tattooed on their face in the middle on the night, Im crossing the street.