HMW SC14 blower build - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
Yukon101

My Ride: 04 325XI
Transmission: GM 5spd Auto
HMW SC14 blower build

Greetings everyone, been waiting to create this thread for a few months now. I picked up a kit from Hyde Motor Works for the Toyota SC14 supercharger from a Previa. HMW does this kit at an absolutely fantastic value compared to the competition. The SC14 with a smaller 80mm pulley that HMW sells allows for 8psi non-intercooled. Stock its around 3psi.

With that said I want to be able to put this kit on tonight but I have 1 issue.
Im not sure if I will be okay running without a bypass valve at 3psi. I do not believe it will be a problem but it is hard to say. Thoughts anyone?

I should also mention, this is my second install. Hopefully first completion. The first install was on a buddies car and he ran into some financial issues by the time we got to piping.
Hand Tuned by me
GS20 Trans Tune
Bi-xenon retrofit
Black Kidney grills
eBay Catch Can (works like a dream)
Ram air intake

Fun car:
94' BMW 740i
Getrag 420G from an E39 M5
LW flywheel, M5 clutch
Electric rear seat/sunshade
E38 heater valves
Fresh resealed engine
M5 shifter

*Past* 96' Oldsmobile Aurora

Last edited by Yukon101; 04-09-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Yukon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
Yukon101

Oh, and while it is fresh on my mind, the power steering reservoir needs to be relocated. I am not sure where to put it that can still gravity feed the pump, any insight would be great.
Hand Tuned by me
GS20 Trans Tune
Bi-xenon retrofit
Black Kidney grills
Ram air intake

Fun car:
94' BMW 740i
LW flywheel, M5 clutch
E38 heater valves
Fresh resealed engine
M5 shifter

Old 04-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
bremerd1

My Ride: 323
Year: 2000
Model: CI
Transmission: ZF 5HP19
Hi Yukon101,

Sorry - I don't have the info you are looking for, but I am interested to see how this goes for you - I've been considering one of the HMW kits for quite a while, and am quite interested to hear from someone that has purchased/installed/tuned one.

Keep us updated on the kit and any issues you run into, please.

Thanks,

Dan B
bremerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
Yukon101

Absolutely! For my power steering reservoir, I have opted to take out the strut tower shield on the driver side and mount it in its place with zip ties for the time being. For the lines, going into the pump is a standard replaceable hydraulic line. The return, however, has a pressed hydraulic fitting coming from the power steering cooler. For those who don't know underneath the compression fitting is a standard barb fitting for a hose. So I went ahead and cut off the compression fitting and put a standard hydraulic compatible hose and screw clamp on. We did the same thing with my buddies set up and so far it has held up fine for 2 months, he is an extremely hard driver on his car. With it being a return line it should not be under very high pressure but is still something to be cautious of.

I ended up not putting the kit yet, my thermostat housing is leaking yet again and I wanted to take care of my vanos/valve cover gasket again first.
At this point, all I'm waiting for is myself to go pick up some more fluid line and actually move my power steering res.
Hand Tuned by me
GS20 Trans Tune
Bi-xenon retrofit
Black Kidney grills
Ram air intake

Fun car:
94' BMW 740i
LW flywheel, M5 clutch
E38 heater valves
Fresh resealed engine
M5 shifter

Old 04-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon101 View Post
Absolutely! For my power steering reservoir, I have opted to take out the strut tower shield on the driver side and mount it in its place with zip ties for the time being. For the lines, going into the pump is a standard replaceable hydraulic line. The return, however, has a pressed hydraulic fitting coming from the power steering cooler. For those who don't know underneath the compression fitting is a standard barb fitting for a hose. So I went ahead and cut off the compression fitting and put a standard hydraulic compatible hose and screw clamp on. We did the same thing with my buddies set up and so far it has held up fine for 2 months, he is an extremely hard driver on his car. With it being a return line it should not be under very high pressure but is still something to be cautious of.

I ended up not putting the kit yet, my thermostat housing is leaking yet again and I wanted to take care of my vanos/valve cover gasket again first.
At this point, all I'm waiting for is myself to go pick up some more fluid line and actually move my power steering res.
Chase bays had a nice ps relocation kit but it's a little pricey. I relocated my ps to the drug bin on the passenger side. I thinks a bypass valve is recommended at over 5 psi, but I'm sure it varies by blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote