E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Engine starting problem when warm

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Barracuz 
#1 ·
I recently had an oil leak that I didn't see and drove around with only 2 quarts of oil for about 3 days..my mechanic told me that the engine will have a starting problem because of that..may take 2 turns of the key to start..ok, I can give with that because I caused the problem by lack of attention in the first place..what happens now is that my 2005 325i won't start at all sometimes..all the lights come on but nothing happens (starter is 7 months old)..I have sat there from half an hour to 2 hours, and then it starts right up..so mmay be related to engine cooling off..any ideas on a solution ?

#2 ·
Does it crank/turnover? Does the battery have over 12v?

If it does check for spark and fuel.

If it does not crank only when warm it's most likely the cam or crank sensor. But before you go out and throw parts at it, borrow a code reader from a friend or buy one. Scan for codes and check what exactly is happening. You can buy a very capable creator c10 for like $60 or so

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.