E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Siemens MS42 wiki

43K views 75 replies 23 participants last post by  d_cleverzz 
#1 ·
I can proudly say that the first iteration of Siemens MS42 wiki is online :clap:

There are probably glitches and errors currently as i haven´t had time to remove them all, but i´ll work at it in the next week.

http://ms43wiki.com/index.php/MS42

Thanks to ragazm :hi:

#48 ·
Hi all, first post here so let me know if I do something wrong :)

I am tuning a friend's 2005 E46 330i using an AEM FIC-6 piggyback. We have turbocharged the engine.

I have a couple of questions..

1) Can I use TunerPro/something with defs discussed on this board/wiki to disable the secondary/cat O2 check?

2) Could I just forget the FIC-6 and tune using the OEM ECU/DME on its own? Target power is ~350-400hp, so things like MAF/injector scaling stuff is of concern.

2b) How long does it take to reflash DME and is there a limit on number of reflashes?

Thanks

#49 · (Edited)
Please take the time to read this, could really use the help.

So I'm stumped, would like some help. So I'm bench testing with MS42. I had boot flashed with a new vin. ECU(DME) had throw the DME Self Test Fail code, I thought that ECU was bad.I realized I hadn't corrected checksums, since JM does not correct checksums, so I corrected them. Boot mode, reflashed, same error. Bought another ecu thinking the previous one was bad to begin with. I checked codes, ECU was clean. Read file with Siemens Flasher Tool, correct checksums (using the MS42 Checksum Corrector), put it in bootmode, and flashed (JM Garage Flasher). The new ECU now presents the same code.... DME Self Test Fail. I am not sure what to do. I am hoping the ECUs are still savable, I am certain it is an error with checksums somewhere, I just don't know what.

I tried disabling checksum as the wiki, boot mode and flashed that, didn't work, (Maybe I did this wrong and someone can walk me through it).

I don't know what else to try and would greatly appreciate educated feedback as soon as possible.

Your Fellow Fanatic,
d_cleverzz

#51 ·
That's so odd, I've tried clearing so many times and the code sticks. I'm gonna be sending this ecu to a friend far from me, the code worries me... they dont have the ability to sync EWS so this ECU has to work, it's running the EWS Delete for the 328. I did a full flash of a virgin file to see if EWS was the problem, and the code has stuck around.

#52 ·
Try to flash your original file back on the MS42 in bootmode. This should fix it as some MS42 dont work with AD firmware because they came with a newer one.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare time left for MS42, I suppose the AD EWS delete can be ported over to other versions.

#53 ·
For whoever comes across this post off google or something.

The DME Control Unit Test Fail code was coming up as I would bench flash the MS42 ECU. NO MATTER WHAT I DID the code stuck around and there was no way around it.
The ECU in fact is NOT bad, it’s just a way the ECU freaks out from bench flashing.
Plug the ECU into a locals car, car ran great started up no problem, and cleared stored codes, and the code never came back.

So if someone out here is bench flashing and
Getting this code and not sure why, don’t fear it. It’s because of the bench flash, once in a proper Ms42 vehicle, ECU will correct itself.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

#54 ·
I was going to post in the MS43 thread, but figured it’ll apply more here...

I’m looking into trying to make more EWS delete bins for MS42 since right now we only have a 328 EWS delete.

Maybe I can just transfer other cars values to the 328 bin?? Idk.

In hex, I noticed that all the virgin bins FF out bigger chunks, while in those same chunks, EWS delete uses normal hex code and even some 80 80. I didn’t just want to start copying and pasting stuff.

Can one of you German brains point me in the right direction. If successful, I’d love to put them up in the wiki for people to test

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

#55 ·
Afaik the EWS delete in MS42 calls another subroutine an then clears two bits.

So you have to identify those two bits in the other firmware version and also the location of the called routine. But only when the EWS handling is the same on all softwares.

#58 ·
I’m trying to port over EWS delete to the other engines, all running 0110AD. Currently, EWS Delete is only on b28 on 0110AD, still missing 323s, etc.
I would like to learn what takes to do proper EWS Deletes in hex, if easiest, maybe we just adjust the b28 tune for other engine platforms, but I doubt this would run perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

#61 · (Edited)
I had some time at the weekend, would someone be so kind to test 0110C6/C7 EWS delete patch I made?

One of the folowing patches might work. The patch location is 0x283BA in the full binary obviously.

Original 88 90 88 60 8A 0E 02 F0 EA 00

EWS delete try 1: DA 07 C2 58 FE 0E 2E 0F DB 00

EWS delete try 2: DA 07 C8 59 FE 0E 2E 0F DB 00

(explaination here: http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143801#p143801 )

#67 ·
Hello! i'm having a little problem when im trying to edit the "max rpm when missing speed signal". im trying to lower the value due to an re-registration for slow going vehicle, but no matter what im doing, i cant get the ecu to lower the max rpm. to test the function im pulling the fuses to the abs, but i can still rev fully. im trying to lower it to about 1000rpm, i dont know if thats too low or if my problem lies in the ecu programming. im using tunerpro with the xdf supplied at the ms4x wiki. any inputs/ideas what im doing wrong?

and sorry for my bad english :/

#70 · (Edited)
There may lie your problem. 1000rpm is way too low. There may be another parameter somewhere that is preventing you from going that low. I’m not sure though, I don’t play too much with ms42. Try setting it so something more reasonable, like 3000 or 4000.
The engine already idles at 700 ish rpm. With a max of 1000, it’s not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.