E46 Fanatics Forum banner

MS43 tuning

3M views 9K replies 575 participants last post by  kartul678 
#1 · (Edited)
For all you MS43 guys out there, we did some massive work to help you out with the biggest and most important collection of software and knowledge available.

We want you to be able to tune your MS43 based on our software and knowledge, which we gathered in uncountable hours behind the computer screen and on the dyno making impressive mods 👍

Instead of working at several different softwareversion, there are at least 6 know up to now, we decided to bring this together to work just at one so the biggest support can be guaranteed.

The softwareversion we are talking about and the definition is written for will be MS430056. We´ve chosen it for several reasons, at least it has the most corresponding damos file.

Unfortunally there is no official support from BMW to flash that specific softwareversion, but thats no big deal as we have erased the EWS system for that specific version in our ews deleted file.

So, to work with the xdf is rather simple. All you need to do is to make shure you either have a MS43 running at that softwareversion or you simply flash the ews delete file onto your ecu. The latter one has some pro´s as there is a logger file that can be used to gather information on the engine state. If you already have a logger for your MS430056 file, you can stay with your current ecu.

If you´re uncomfortable with deleting the EWS system from your ecu, we can supply you a virginized file to use, but that again lacks logger capability (you can always purchase your own license if you want to!).

Supported are all 4 different engine versions which use the MS43, namely its M54B22, M54B25, M54B30 and Alpina E/5. If you have a stock MS430056 for a different engine, please send us an email at MS43info @ yahoo.com if you wish to support us. However we are confident to have the needed files within a few days, so that every supported engine can be tuned (Franken-engines are possible also, but may require additional work!)

The most recent constants, factors and maps are included in this amazing definition file. They are grouped into the most reasoned categories for easier working.

Video instructions are available at Youtube! 👍

FAQ:

1. what cables do i need? i have an inpa cable at the moment

Perfect! If it has an FTDI chip (most probably), this is going to do it all.

2. what software do i need? (i have galleto, JMgarageflasher and pro tuner is that everything? ig got this from your thread on here.)

Exactly! You can modify the Galletto.exe to work with your existing INPA cable. JMGarageFlasher works with every obd cable as far as i can tell.

3. how do i put the dme into boot mode? does the ecu need to be on a bench set up? or does it still have to be connected to the car and i connect to the obd2 port? iv been reading on how to do it but im getting quite confused with it all.

This is covered in our instructions on how to read the full flash file and i would like you to read it. If its not working for you, re-read it and try again. Still not working, ask me again. ;)

4.if it is a bench setup do i need to connect to the connector socket pins on the DME?

You can do it on a bench or you can do it in the car, whatever you prefer. I´m using a bench setup as i´m pretty often downloading and uploading the full flash file.

PLEASE NOTE: You need boot mode flashing ONLY if you are going to flash the full 512kb file. Normally its enough to flash the tune/calibration section with Galletto.

UPLOADING 512kb can only be done with JMGarageFlasher. So i´d advise to use JMGarageFlasher WHENEVER you deal with the 512kb file.

5. do i put it into boot mode, read the file on the ecu then i can transfer the file as a .bin to pro tuner, make the alterations then write it back using jmgarageflasher?

TunerPro currently only works with the tune/calibration file (64kb) which can be up- and downloaded via Galletto without the boot mode

So, basically what you´re going to do is to edit the Galletto.exe, download the tune/calibration and upload it into TunerPro. In there, you make the changes, correct the checksum and re-upload it to your ecu afterwards.

However if you are using the ews delete files, you need to flash that 512kb via JMGarageFlasher and using bootmode. IF your are using the ews deleted files, there is no need to correct the checksum after modifying the tune/calibration.

6.how do i perform the EWS delete? from what i make of it i put the DME into boot mode then write/flash the file on the google drive folder .BIN file to the DME?

Exactly! You first force the ecu into bootmode (use the instructional pdf as resource), connect it to JMGarageFlasher, upload the 512kb file which matches your engine type (M54B**) and thats it.

This step enables you to use BMWLogger, TunerPro XDF and maybe other funny stuff in the future.

If I understand correctly, the EWS is theft prevention.

Correct.

1. Can you not flash the ECU without "deleting" the EWS?

Of course you can.

2. Can this be reversed if you want, or is it gone "forever"?

Yes, everytime! You can always flash any MS43 to your ecu.

3. Should I get a second system to play with, and save whats in my car?

Absolutely! I´d always recommend getting a spare ecu to play with.

4. When you flash the delete program, is the factory "limits" removed to a base point, or do you need to alter the maps to liking. (rev limit, low level limits like that, not full ignition and fuel)

Yes and no. We´re not removing any limiters except the rpm limiter for missing vehicle speed :hi: We don´t want to supply tuned files.

5. Is everyone using the Galletto 1260, or is another/better option available now?

We recommend using JMGarageFlasher for working with the full flash file in bootmode and Galletto for working with the partial file.

I'm spending free time looking all this up when not studying, so catch up has been slow. I'm very interested in knowing more about reflashing factory computers like this instead of removing having to remove everything for a full stand alone. Factory base tunes always seem to have the best idle, cold, and hot start settings that are time consuming and frustrating.

Thats absolutely correct. BMW and Alpina used extensive work to get the ecu almost perfect for every situation.

So, as recap:

512kb file is best handled by JMGarageFlasher and contains vehicle specific data like EWS, VIN, the maps in the tune and, most important, it contains all the code on how the ecu needs to handle all the maps.
It MUST be handled in bootmode

64kb file is best handled by Galletto. This file contains all the maps, scalars, factors and constants which separate one engine from the other, like M54B22 vs. M54B30 or E46 from E39. This is the file that needs to be loaded in WinOLS or TunerPro to modify for changes :hi:
It must NOT be handled in bootmode

Feature overview

See less See more
1 1
#38 ·
Well for the price of a set of injectors, a fuel pump, a head gasket, an hour on a lathe, and the time to replace these items, and this software, my TS2+ is putting 255rwkw and 645rwnm on a mainlne dyno (approximately 288rwkw dynojet). The car is only tuned correctly to about 5000rpm at the moment, I was getting spark breakdown and incorrect maps from no gear recognition, and only getting aroud 10 degrees advance on the dyno after that rpm range. Using hotter plugs and sorting the dme software to re-enable gear recognition, I am sure that the figure will be much higher next dyno, the car feels much stronger now :)

I was tempted to just buy the TS3 software from ESS, but I am running 9.4:1 compression (instead of ESS 9.0:1), and a 65mm pulley opposed to the 70 or 68mm pulley that ESS use, and for $1000usd (quoted for ESS tune only), I thought I would take the risk and attempt this myself, admittedly, I took the car and this software and asked a proffesional tuner to run the car up on the dyno, and make selections what maps to change and by how much. Since that session, with what I learnt that day, which maps etc, I have continued to road tune the car before next "fine tune" on the dyno. Enabling gear recognition and a change of fuel pump meant the initial dyno tune was not correct :(

In all honesty, if I had of bought the ESS software, I probably would have blown up the car, not at their fault, but my own, as the dme software wasnt changed after SSG to Manual conversion, I coded all other modules, and reset variants, which works for auto to manual conversion, but not SSG to manual/auto.

For me this was a massive test, I would like to build the bottom end in the near future, but in all honesty, if TS3 levels are as high as I could get with an off the shelf tune, I could not justify the cost per HP. ESS claim 286rwkw and 449rwnm on a dynojet, I should end up with a much nicer figure and can then justify building the bottom end :)

I am not overly good on a computer, and I have struggled a little getting my head around ncsexpert and winkfp, but can use inpa, and with a few questions initailly, can use this software with ease :) It is very user friendly and easy to use :)

Without access to this software, based in Australia (and RHD), I would have had to pay for TS3 as my only option, and that would have been the cars potential.

#39 ·
Kudos to danial_f for this great software.

Flashed the 330 ews delete file to my DME. Car started right up.
So far I've have managed to do the following,

1) Deleted cooling fan with XDF.
2) Supressed DISA DTC.
3) increased overlap on intake vanos.
4) raised RPM limit
5) increase speed limit
6) tweaked throttle map

Works great!!

But I do have a question. When I increase the values of a range on my basic injection map,
it seems to rich up the entire RPM range. Am I doing something wrong?

#49 ·
1) Made changes to basic ignition map. seems to affect entire RPM range.
The screenshot says you are tweaking basic injection, rather then basic ignition.

Do you want to tweak a single supporting point one by one or do you want to tweak a whole row/column?

In this screenshot i selected the whole map and filled the supporting points with value 1.5 and its working like it should.

2) just realised my rev was still limited. Increase rev limit worked on my original bin tuned using the MS430066 XDF. it did not work on my current bin.

thanks
Make shure you save the bin file, maybe with a different name or even in a different folder. There shouldn´t be any issue with this. Your car is manual i guess?

#42 ·
I know that there are 2 main maps related to fuel.
1 of is basic injection, which is in your screenshot. The other one is Alpha/N map.
But i don't know which one ideal to tune. In which conditions tune which of them etc.

I wonder this, how much air/fuel ratio changes depends on %1 or %5 increase of these maps.

#57 ·
It is for a tracktool, will swap a 200 cell catalyst and need to get rid off the o2's and of the codes.
Beside of the codes I'm not sure if just disabling the codes is enough or maybe other parameters must be changed for preventing an impact on fuel mixture.

#60 ·
DTC supression is needed if we do things the ecu doesn´t like, like disconnecting MAF sensor. In case of EU2 tune, this is something that was available for some markets and therefore the switch was configure to set all kind of monitors and stuff to accept for the new hardware.

It should easily work that way, if not just let me know.

#62 ·
tflow,

The EU2 software for the E46 is the standard factory software used here in Australia. It is very hard to find post-cat sensors fitted here.

I am running a twin 200 cell cat system without any problems with the factory software, no sensor mods or anything.

#63 ·
Danial,

thanks for the help.

Tweaking the injection map is working.

Question.

1) what maps do we tuned for ignition? there is almost 5 ignition maps, would making changes to basic ignition map be enough?

2) how do I incorporate afr readings to BMWlogger? I have a innovate wideband, but I have no idea how to link the afr to the logger.

I am still learning to tune and familiarise with the software. really appreciate all your help.

cheers!!

#68 ·
Hi All

Just want to say thanks so much for all the hard work on this! Looks like there's lots of fun to be had.

Apologies if I'm asking in the wrong place, or I need to look into this further:

I'm looking to modify the M54B25 - If I find a MS540056 B25 version, my understanding is I can use the definition file you guys have created, to tweak things like PWM fan control idle speed, etc... But...Is it also possible to flash my current 325 DME to use MS540056 program code with the inpa tool suite (assuming you can figure out the prog number, and right software suite)...?

Is there any option in the def file you've created to disable EWS for M54B25? I would like to add a car starter, and not have the key taped up under my dash where someone can easily find it?

Lastly since my car is a fail-o-matic I'd need to re-code it and add SA205 back?

thanks !

Jonathan

#70 ·
Hi All

Just want to say thanks so much for all the hard work on this! Looks like there's lots of fun to be had.

Apologies if I'm asking in the wrong place, or I need to look into this further:

I'm looking to modify the M54B25 - If I find a MS540056 B25 version, my understanding is I can use the definition file you guys have created, to tweak things like PWM fan control idle speed, etc... But...Is it also possible to flash my current 325 DME to use MS540056 program code with the inpa tool suite (assuming you can figure out the prog number, and right software suite)...?
Unfortunally no. Up till today we haven´t found the files needed to flash MS430056 by using WinKFP.

Is there any option in the def file you've created to disable EWS for M54B25? I would like to add a car starter, and not have the key taped up under my dash where someone can easily find it?
Unfortunally, the ews delete is done in the program section of the file.
There is no simple tune-change to be done to switch ews off. We could implement that, but it wouldn´t help you in the first place.

Lastly since my car is a fail-o-matic I'd need to re-code it and add SA205 back?
Your DME will automatically detect if you´re using a manual or an auto gearbox ;)

So what is all needed to tune our ms43's? Tuner pro, BMW logger, and we can read / write the files with galletto? I'm local to Alex and I'm sure he is willing to help me out, actually he is helping me out with my turbo build but I want to tune my daily. I want to remove the sap, rear O2 Sensors and some other stuff that I want to try it myself.
Right, everything you need is included in the files collection in the google drive. We´ve written some instructions how it needs to be done, they are also included.

Most of what you are after are single byte switches called config switches.

#69 ·
So what is all needed to tune our ms43's? Tuner pro, BMW logger, and we can read / write the files with galletto? I'm local to Alex and I'm sure he is willing to help me out, actually he is helping me out with my turbo build but I want to tune my daily. I want to remove the sap, rear O2 Sensors and some other stuff that I want to try it myself.

#71 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers and hard work Daniel. May try running the 325 off a DME flashed with the MS540056 file you gents have and see how it goes.

Edit just noticed in the MS430056 there is a M43B25 file ... that would work for my situation, and has no EWS?

MS430056_M54B25_Logger_EWSsignature_CHK5off.bin