E46 Fanatics Forum banner

MS43 Connection/Boot-mode troubleshooting thread

250K views 342 replies 59 participants last post by  Lexy 99 
#1 ·
Perhaps we can get connection/boot-mode support going here instead of spamming the development thread. Please review the other thread for instructions, information, and latest updates and files. If asking a question please provide as much information about your setup as possible. Include what operating system is used, cable and driver, what pins are connected, and so on. Everyone is welcomed to share or ask for help.

So far I too have been unable to put my MS43 into bootmode and/or read full flash. On multiple occasions I am able to get ECU to the point where jmgarageflasher is complaining about wrong echo bytes.

Member from official jmgarageflasher forums is suggesting following procedure, which is the only way he could get ecu to work. SOURCE

1. Start with everything turned off. USB cable unplugged from computer, obd port unplugged from the ecu or car, jmgarageflasher closed, and ecu power turned off (ignition off)
2. Connect obd port to ecu or car
3. Ground pin 104 through 10k resistor (color code brown black orange)
4. Send +12V power to ecu and after 6 seconds take off pin 104 ground connection
5. Connect usb cable and wait for it to be ready
6. Start jmgarageflasher and click connect

#150 ·
where did you get your version of galletto? from the google page or a cd with your cable? One cable i purchased as a "galletto" was a knockoff with a non ftdi chip but they shipped a version of the program that was modified for it. it would not work with JMgarage flasher.

open your cable. open it with ftprog, check it out to make sure its really what you ordered.

#166 ·
guys i posted a thread about an easy guaranteed install of inpa on windows 10... no need to be on XP and 32 bit anymore. from what ive learned, talking to the DME on the bench makes me have to go to 10msec on the latency, but its no big deal. U should get off XP and just run everything natively. I do everything on the bench. i dont bother doing any of it in the car.

this is the link to my windows 10 post. oddly it comes up on zero google searches and not even when you search with "e46fanatics" as a keyword.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1103426

this other link is to the thread i started about trying to figure out the origins of each cable and how well they work. I bought a few and compared alot of them. it comes down to hardware. I need a k+Dcan because of my e92 328i but the amazon ones are really hit or miss. sometimes the chip is not even programmed. on the crappy amazon/ebay ones. Alot of them advertise D can also when they only support K line.

moral of the story is the cable is the culprit 99.99% of the time. given, every other measure has been taken, and it seems like you know what your doing, then ur cable is prob low quality.

good news is you know youre fully capable of getting into boot mode. and that you have your small and big dumps backed up. i would zip them in a folder and save it somewhere.
a word of caution. when you flash a file on to the DME, i turn it off, let it stay off for a bit, then turn it on and let it do its first boot without bothering it. then i go back into inpa and reset all adaptations, and power cycle it again without rushing it. thats what i like about working on the bench, i can leave it alone and take my time.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1097604

while im at it, another issue could be your powersource. i use a computer PSU and inside of inpa it says im getting 11.97v all the time. i know my PSU can also handle near 15A of draw so the thing is happy. Ive been coding a car before and having issues, coming to realize my car charger was off or extension wasnt plugged in etc. the car had not been running for a while and had no battery left and i was trying to program some modules... and wondering why it wasnt responding. so double check everything from ground up...

#167 ·
i have a crappy white cable from amazon, it works with JM Flasher. It came programmed looking like it wasnt flashed right. but it works

i have a blue vagcom that never ever worked with anything becase it didnt have a ft232 but instad a CH340 something or something. however from a couple forums I think the config below is what should be on the blue vagcoms

there is also the green board ebay/amazon one which is a knock off of the really good Onestopelectronics cable. its programming should be what i have below.

i also have a real onestop cable but didnt bother to update with its programming. didnt really go back and organize the thread either.

Crappy White Board
Flashes ft232rl just fine via ftprog
Works for K-line, but cannot connect with Dcan Utility to set to Dcan mode (not working on my e92)
Original Settings:
#C0 - TXDEN
#C1 - TXDEN
#C2 - TXDEN
#C3 - TXDEN
#C4 - TXDEN
Observations:
1) Datasheet says "TXDEN is the default settings the IO's are configured at" when they sell the chip. I thought the reason my cable wasn't working was due to it being misconfigured. But it works with INPA on e46. So this means the circuit (on the crappy white board) has to be different from the good white board (see IO settings of good white board)
1b) seeing all TXDEN makes me thing my chip wasnt programmed at all. however it came with most of the programming such as the cable name and serial.
2)What chip is DCAN utility sending comands to? (via UART? via ISP?) because INPA seems to be able to reach all the way to the CAN network, which is handled by the MCP2515 and MCP2551. who is/are the middle men?
2a)Can someone help me discover what are the comands in DCAN utility.exe? is there a source for its code? It requires .NET framework so im thinking its a couple simple serial commands like but cant be sure who its talking to or how that works.
3)Can somebody help me figure out where the the traces for the ft232 go to? is it the ATF or ATmega162??

VAGCOM 409.1 KKL (blue cable)
supposed to flash just fine with FTprog
Works for K-line, but isnt designed for Dcan mode.
There is a guide/thread on how to convert the blue "vagcom kkl" cable to work with inpa and they clearly state what the IO settings need to be for the cable to function on BMW's
Original Settings:
#C0 - RXLED
#C1 - TXLED
#C2 - POWERON
#C3 - POWERON
#C4 - SLEEP
Observations:
1) the tx and rx are different from the config of the non-onestop green board.
2)to be clear, the 409.1 KKL boards don't have dcan, so it sounds like a bad idea to flash the settings from the vagcom cable on to the dcan ones as it does seem they're different. however dcan is handled by the MCP chips so really the ft232 shouldnt be programmed too differently.. idk
3)I bought one, but it was so fake that it came with a stupid CH340 chip and tiny little circuit

non-OneStop Green Board
yes FTprog worked communicated with the FT232rl
Works for 100kbit K and 500kbit Dcan
I forgot to ask if it switches automatically or only with dcan utility within first 30secs.
Terraphantm has the non-onestop green board and so does mikeetastic. They both had the same settings and probably the same version of the cable.
Original Settings:
#C0 - TXLED
#C1 - RXLED
#C2 - TXDEN
#C3 - POWERON
#C4 - SLEEP
Observations:
1) the tx and rx are different from the config of the vacom mod thread. Im willing to bet money that the one stop cable has tx on C0 and rx on c1 just like this one.

#168 ·
Ok I am looking for some brain storming on why jmgarage flasher wont read an ecu for me. I am going to lay out the symptoms below and hopefully someone can at least point me toward something else to try.

The Behavior:
1) Connect bench harness
2) Apply ground to pin 104
3) Apply power
4) After 6 seconds remove ground from pin 104
5) Click connect in jm flasher
6) After the status reaches 100% and status windows shows connected click read
7) Wait a long time. The three buttons grey out but it never seems to read anything. I have waited over an hour with no joy.

8) Start over but use Galletto
9) Read 512K file without error in Galletto

Wiring:
I have a bench harness which I have tried wiring three different ways based on each of the common diagrams in this forum and the wiki.

My Cables:
I have tried 2 different FTDI cables both of which react the same.
-Cable one has white board identified as not functioning in cable thread
-Cable two has the green board identified as good in the cable thread

Drivers:
Currently running 2.12.16.0 but previously had 2.8.24.0 installed with the same behavior.

I have tried on Windows 7 laptop and a Windows XP VM with the same exact behavior.

ECU:
I have tested with 2 different ECUs same behavior, both work in the car after all the attempts so don't seem to be bricked.

#170 · (Edited)
It seems with latency set at 10 I can get jmg to connect every time now. However no matter how long I wait after clicking "read" I am never getting any action after that. No more prompts or anything. Just greyed out buttons and nothing else seemingly forever.
2 different cables with same results every time.

Any thoughts from anyone?

#171 ·
Well. I don't have any idea what I did different. When I got back from an errand I reconnected everything and got I to boot mode. When I clicked read it immediately said "reading file" In the status box and the blue progress bar began moving. I have since installed the ews delete file with success on a backup dme and cleared all the adaptations. Car is idling in garage now.

#175 ·
it comes out in 5 months :). Ive used all of these programs quite a few times before, but I dont have a bench setup, and its kind of hard to get people to let you use there car just to write yah know

but im tired of running rich, and missing a bunch of power thats left on the table after i got my headers, cams etc...

#176 ·
Ok, I seem to be having a little bit of a different problem. I got JMG to connect, read and write the 512 kb file no problem.

I read my serial number from the cable (which I have used for INPA / NCS Expert) and put that in place in Galletto.

But I can't read the 64 file with Galletto... I've read this thread front to back, have tried changing the latency, I'm running on port 1, using xp-

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.