E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Backfire flames out exhaust

319K views 506 replies 76 participants last post by  kartul678 
#1 ·
So my car started to spit out flames ))) with the exhaust pop mod
I got ebay headers with no cats , mid resonator delete ( which is useless drones a little ) and stock muffler .
All i gotta do to make the car spit out flames is rev it out to max which is 6500-6700 rpm let go the gas and keep coasting down and when it reaches 4500 rpm THERE IS A HUUUUUUGE BANG and fire spits out of the exhaust about 1-2 feet , the bang is so loud its ear popping , checked the car in case of any damage , everything seems to be normal ( already got pulled over by the cops for the flame ( ez excuse car mechanic told me car misfires, didnt get a ticket )
The car is turning heads everytime i do that , people get scared as f*** , and 1 guy thought i shot him :rofl: i rolled out of the car laughing ) anyways im gonna post a video once i get my hands on go pro , right now video is on my friends instagram

P.S i was looking at those JDM cars where they have a 2 step thing maybe we can implement that too

#7 ·
So ive never fixed a problem with my LC , and i found out why i think , when i plug my 330 ecu to romraider it shows it as 325 dont know why maybe previous owner has swapped the ecu and stuff , anyways ive heard that you fixed that LC for 325 guys but my car basically is 330 with 325 ecu that has 330 parameters on it , im asking you if you could fix that for me so , I can start tweaking 2 step , here is the file its for 330ci has lots of changes , thats the one that pops flames http://www.filedropper.com/exhaustpopsflame1

#3 · (Edited)
From the MS43 development thread here are my experimentation on the subject: I still need to make a video...

I went to a track day last week for the first time this summer and my modification bellow is AWESOME!

On the track when the exhaust get hot (after few laps) it make a loud BANG with a nice fireball (a lot bigger than in my video) every time I shift and sometime also when I lift my foot in the braking zone. It's pretty loud and put a nice show since I tracked at night. The flame and sound are really noticeable for the spectator I got a few positive comments! :evil: Next event I will bring the GoPro to show you guys.

I will redo my print screen when I will be at home, I played with the value of the timing.

If someone want to try it on the street it's working but you need to make the exhaust become really hot. You need to recreate the condition of few lap on the track! Note that it probably won't work if you still have catalytic converter...

Adam

Since spark cut seem to be to much hassle (From Daniel_f expertise, I don't even know how to do that. BTW thank you for your response Daniel I appreciate!) I tought of an other way to spit flame with the E46.

For the first time I can contribute to this thread! :thumbsup:

I decided to use the old trick of more fuel and retarded timing on overrun to get my flame.

Keep in mind that it's my first try tonight with guessed value to have flame :lmao: I will improve this pretty soon. I will keep you guys posted.

I added more fuel in the low load high RPM range since from my logs it's where the ECU read when in overun at high rev. I also played with the negative throttle retard map so it has less retard than what we see on the wiki to be sure that the mixture is well ignited before getting out of the exhaust. It really need fine tuning but it's a great start. I've been messing at the same spot for 30minutes trying to make flame...kind of noisy I left before cops came!

Here the maps I played with:

Some videos:

Launch Control flames
https://youtu.be/esXM1oeNg5g

Exhaust Pop
https://youtu.be/EN3Dg6qH_FA

#50 · (Edited)
Yea im running the popcorn mod on stock cats, res and straight thru borla muffler. Audible gurgle, burps and pop but still quite subtle. Like a focus/fiesta st subtle. But ive noticed that the cats do get red hot lol. Time for headers i guess

Edit:
Went back to a stock tune. Seems like some of the sheet metal glows regardless. I guess I'm stickin with pops