E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Instrument Cluster: M3 Shift Lights DIY

Tags
cluster
14K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  UniquE46 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I found out how to add shift lights to your normal E46 Instrument Cluster. Lets start with the requirements first:

First: There are at least two cluster versions which i know about: Bosch and Motortronic. You will need to have a Instrument Cluster from Bosch. You can easily find out if you have a Bosch Cluster by checking the backcover from your cluster:
Black -> Motoronic
Grey with Bosch Sign -> Bosch

Mototronic wont work, because it has a completely different design.

Second: You will still need an additional M3 Cluster, because of the cluster dial and some plastic parts which are different between the normal . However you can buy a broken one or try to buy an aftermarket dial.

Third: You will need to know how to solder SMD. Normal soldering skills should be sufficient. There is only one part which is really small(0815), others are medium size(1206) SMD parts.

So now the tutorial:
1. You will need following parts:

1x TPIC6C595DR(Shift register)
1x CML0805X7R104KT50V (CAP, X7R, 0805, 0.1UF, 10%, 50V )
10x RMCF1206JT160R ( RES 160 OHM 5% 1/4W 1206 )
3x RED LEDs 3528 PLCC2
7x Yellow LEDs 3528 PLCC2

I ordered mines at digikey, however feel free to order it where ever you want

2. Disassemble your cluster
3. Solder the Shift register(Green in Picture) first. It has same polarity as the shift register left to it. Just solder it like in the picture
4. Solder the Cap(Purpe) next. Polarity does not matter
5. Solder the Resistors(Blue) next. Polarity does not matter
6. Finally solder the LEDs next. Red means yellow led, yellow means red LED - sorry for the misleading colors. Polarity is important here and GND is marked with the Black color.
7. Assemble the cluster back

Now you should be able to see the LEDs shining, and if you apply a LED Patch to your MS43 DME, they will light up.

Greatings
Elias

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This sounds very interesting, thanks for posting.

As much as I'd like to fit an M3 cluster in my 330Ci it's an auto so the Gear Position indicator won't work. Non starter. I like this idea, but:

Can you just clarify, you've added LED shift lights to the stock E46 (NON M3) Cluster?

What PCB is this in the pic'?

And - other than M3 cluster face - why do I need M3 clocks (which 'plastic parts'?)

#3 ·
Can you just clarify, you've added LED shift lights to the stock E46 (NON M3) Cluster?
Yes, i can testify that i have added the LEDs to a Non-M3-Cluster.
What PCB is this in the pic'?
Its the PCB from my Non-M Cluster which i soldered the LEDs to.
And - other than M3 cluster face - why do I need M3 clocks (which 'plastic parts'?)
There are 2 plastic parts between the PCB and the cluster face. They are different between the normal E46 Cluster and the M-Model. The difference is, that the M-Model has some cut-outs for the LEDs, so they can shine. The non-m-Modele does not have this holes, so you wont be able to see the LEDs. I suppose you can make this holes via drilling

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, i can testify that i have added the LEDs to a Non-M3-Cluster.

Its the PCB from my Non-M Cluster which i soldered the LEDs to.

There are 2 plastic parts between the PCB and the cluster face. They are different between the normal E46 Cluster and the M-Model. The difference is, that the M-Model has some cut-outs for the LEDs, so they can shine. The non-m-Modele does not have this holes, so you wont be able to see the LEDs. I suppose you can make this holes via drilling
It's not just holes. They're prisms / diffusers to direct the light to the right place (you'll notice that the 6000RPM LED is positioned a little off on the board compared to where the lights should be).

I assume the fuel economy gauge still functions as a fuel economy gauge doing this mod? And did you have to make any eeprom edits? I remember messing with the KVA_OELTEMP value caused all my lights to shutoff.

#9 ·
What model of non-M E46 do you have?
I have a 316 with N42 motor. So basically the "smallest model" available. A little backstory behind this mod: I was able to buy a broken M3 cluster really cheap - unfortunately it was not working at all, and i teared down a normal cluster to "swap" some electric parts to make it work. It turned out, that its easier to install the LEDs into the "non-m" cluster to make it work. Also i have developed a device which allows it to run the leds with the small motor.

Because non-M only rev to 7k I think not so many LEDs are needed. Is this OK?
I suppose you need all of them.

And do you have a picture with the finished face?
What exactly do you mean by "finished" face?

It's not just holes. They're prisms / diffusers to direct the light to the right place
Your right, however i suppose its still possible, because you can make the holes bigger and /or other (brighter) LEDs

Code:
I assume the fuel economy gauge still functions as a fuel economy gauge doing this mod?
Yes sure.

Code:
And did you have to make any eeprom edits?[CODE]
No, however i have soldered the EEPROM of the M3 into my non-m3 cluster. I suppose it may contain some code/configuration which allows to run it.

[QUOTE]Sadly an M3 cluster won't work with my VF supercharged 330Ci as it's an Auto.[/QUOTE]
Why not? I dont see any reason why it should not work. 

[QUOTE]has anyone coded it do anything/something more useful?? [/QUOTE]
I really dont think its possible, because of the NEC chip which was programmed in a different way. I did some research on that, but it turns out that its really hard/impossible to read it out. The main problem is, that its a masked "chip", which cannot be reprogrammed.

#15 ·
hi, did you ever solved this issue?

#17 ·
Hi all. Made a dash mod. Everything works fine except for one aspect: in addition to the three LEDs near the red speed zone, another LED is always on. Marked in green in the picture. Engine control unit MS42, dash CI08, with NEC processor, oil temperature output does not work. Who can advise something?

#18 ·
Hi all. Made a dash mod. Everything works fine except for one aspect: in addition to the three LEDs near the red speed zone, another LED is always on. Marked in green in the picture. Engine control unit MS42, dash CI08, with NEC processor, oil temperature output does not work. Who can advise something?
View attachment 979769
Two resistors in top right corner soldered incorrectly. There is mistake in ms4x. They both should be soldered horizontally. I also faced same issue - and it was fixed when I rotated them.
Check my photo
Circuit component Light Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

#20 ·
So I got a hold of a used m3 cluster for $60, I have a 3d printer and I’m gonna 3d scan the plastic piece needed for this retrofit that way people don’t have to buy a m3 cluster. I’ll report back once I have successfully 3d printed the part. Just need to find a good 3d scanner to start with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.