E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 Cluster was reading "PPPPP" now reads "999,999" - Recode advice required.

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bmbeast 
#1 ·
E46 Cluster was reading "PPPPP" now reads "999,999" - Recode advice required.

Hi guys! Firstly thanks for having me, I own few BMW's including this E46 I'm having issues with..

I've had this 52 plate (5 speed) 330Ci for almost a year now but it's been parked up a good few months as I've had an issue with the cluster. After the car was sat and went dead the cluster showed a “PPPPP” error upon charging and being started back up. The rev counter, speedo, fuel and water temp gauges all still worked however it seemed the speedo is also now over reading. Says I'm doing 60 when I'm actually doing about 45?

I purchased a cable and installed NCS Expert. I had a go at re-coding the cluster based on some advice I received but had no luck and kept getting errors.

On someone else's advice I tried to discharge the system by touching the positive and negative battery cable terminals together for 30s (obviously with the battery disconnected), since then the “PPPPP” error has gone and the mileage now displays 999,999. I haven't driven it since and ideally would like to return the mileage to the correct number as well as sort out the ABS light which was never lit before.

Can anyone advise on what to do before I contact BMW directly? I'm quite tech savvy and happy to buy cables / recode if instructed correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This basically means that the EEPROM or the solder connections to the Cluster are dead. You can try to open up the cluster and resolder the chip inside it. Its called M35080 and is in the middle of the cluster on front side.

Easiest fix would be to buy a used cluster and let someone recode it for your car

#7 · (Edited)
silverzx, It is likely you solved it, but still. What helped me is disconnecting the cluster for 24h (not 1h, not 2h, not 12h - that did not work).

BUT. Next time I disconnected the cluster and connected it again - ppppp showed up, and disconnecting for 24h does not solve the problem anymore. However what is interesting is that if I press the left button right after connecting the cluster, I see the correct millage. And if I turn the key to the second position - ppppp shows up. I can repeat this over and over again... Sometimes thought the cluster would show CODE or 9999999 - but most of the time ppppp.

Question to all: The fact that I can access the mileage before turning the key (supplying voltage to the 6th pin) means EEPROM is okay?! In other words, does anyone know if recoding would solve the problem or I should be looking for the problem in other elements of the circuit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.