E46 Fanatics Forum banner

***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

Tags
m56 sulev
235K views 503 replies 77 participants last post by  ripinitup 
#1 · (Edited)
In this first post, I am including any important information I find for SULEV owners, regarding warranty, part compatibility, etc. The Air Resource Board approvals indicate a service life of exhaust and evaporative emissions components as being 150,000 miles.

I'm just curious how many M56B25 SULEVs are floating around on here. Put your mileage, engine modifications, tuning, driveline modifications (e.g. transmission, diff ratio), etc., along with any problems you've had with it (and whether or not BMW warrantied the issue). :hi: I have also posted the info sheet that dealers received regarding the SULEV.

FYI for anyone who does not know, the SULEV has a unique sealed fuel system of mostly stainless steel, and a stainless steel fuel rail. The tank, pump, filter, filler, and vent hose are all one piece and has to be replaced as a single unit. The SULEV's entire emissions system and fuel tank assembly is covered under a 15 year/150k mile warranty.

I have an '04 with 72k miles, an Active Autowerke tune, K&N panel filter, I got rid of the hydrocarbon filter in the lid of the air box, and I haven't had any issues aside from OFHG and cooling system. No M56 specific issues.

Attachment 4: SULEV specific warranty handbook dated 2005

Attachments

See less See more
#171 ·
You can complain to BMWNA but it won't do anything. They've already had so many complaints and it fell on deaf ears. There were even threats of a class action lawsuit at one point. The two guys heading it up decided to push on, on their own account after getting blown off by BMW. They ended up starting that Beisan company, selling the improved VANOS piston/solenoid seals.

NHTSA won't do anything due to the age of the cars and the lack of a safety risk.

Interestingly enough, the official BMW fix for the VANOS problem is replacing the whole unit. The new unit will most likely end up having the same issues in time because the rubber and Teflon seals are the exact same and are the cause of the failure due to the seals shrinking and failing to properly seal. There is no actual "permanent" BMW fix. The guys at Beisan reengineered the seals and most guys with VANOS problems tend to buy the repair kit from them because BMW doesn't even offer the seals as a stand alone part. Only the whole unit.

#172 ·
It's nonsense on BMW's part if you ask me. There are a lot of issues they should've issued recalls or at least issued TIS fixes for.

#178 · (Edited)
They good willed the tail light, but they told me the camshaft timing was off so either way I'm paying for something lol. They said I can't keep the failed part since its warranty work they send it in. The guy blew off my sub frame inquiry saying there's no recall clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. Will print something out bring it in. Just want them to finish these things first before I start fighting with them.

They gave me a brand new 328i loaner. I must say besides exterior looks nice dash, and very fast acceleration it is such a shitty car. The steering is soft, engine makes noise, tranny shifts funny, leather seats look like they came from a Prius. My Toyota Camry rental had better headlights.

Losses stability at high speeds imagine doing 120 with a soft steering wheel it's scary lol.

Do you know if we can use a 330 MAF sensor?

#179 ·
Nice about the tail light!

The subframe recall/courtesy inspection ended a couple years ago. Anything here on in is our responsibility.

I kept getting e90 328s. They were meh.

#180 ·
Was told today the car still didn't run good. The guy told me they replaced the camshaft under warranty. I'm not sure if he meant sensor or the actual camshaft lol. If they replaced the whole camshaft that would be pretty crazy. Will find out later tonight or tomorrow when I get the car, and try to find out what the culprit was to the rough idle. It seems it might have not been the vanos.

#181 ·
That'd be rare for a camshaft to go bad. The sensor is a common problem across all e46s.

Have they checked your intake hoses for cracks?

#186 ·
Yikes, well if it wasn't like that before you brought it in they should be liable for sure.

Quick question, if a part under warranty say for example the vanos breaks and causes damage to another part of the engine like a piston would warranty cover that also?
I guess it would probably depend on the circumstances but in general, I'd say yes. But it all depends. Half the time we can't even get the stuff that's covered to get covered.

#189 ·
Also where is the abs module on this car is it under the intake? That's where I see those metal tube things going down too. I looked everywhere on top and I couldn't find it. Thanks
Yes the thing with the metal tubes is the ABS pump. Its easier and better to test it through INPA.

Back when I was going to a mechanic (he was an ex-BMW and Mercedes tech with a PhD in mechanical engineering and used to rebuild transmissions - one of those old guru types), I was told that anything past 75k is a gamble. If you don't change it, the seals will harden and start letting fluid through. If you're past 75k and change it, it can kill your transmission too because the resoftening of seals can also let fluid through and wreck the transmission.

If it were me, I'd change it but do it gradually.

#192 ·
Mine charges $150 and if you do the work with them which I don't they waive it or if it's covered under warranty. Go to dealer ratings and read reviews for good dealers. These guys around me have a very good reputation. A replacement key is only $150 cheaper then online websites.

#193 ·
California has a fairly extensive minimum emissions parts list that must be covered:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/offroad/proappb.pdf

I asked the dealer if the cylinder head was covered (as it's on the list). Their initial answer was no, but then they double checked and told me it was covered. I'm getting ignition coils, and the secondary air pump and hoses replaced under the warranty.

My car has about 110k and the fuel pump was working, but the dealer decided to replace the whole assembly since the tech found it was taking longer than normal for the car to start._nr_

#211 ·
Nothing. The car wasn't starting and overnight there was no compression, so I was figuring worst case scenario. I didn't want to tow the car to the dealer until they agreed it was covered. Much easier to get things done before they have your car. If they had it, I could potentially see them claiming it's not covered and attempting to get me to pay it.

#195 · (Edited)
I just found out about the warranty thanks to this thread. It turns out, I just replaced my mass air sensor, air intake boot, and post-cat O2 sensors. Do I have any recourse to recoup my costs since these items were covered under warranty? I've also got a leaky VANOS oil line that I'm trying to get covered. BTW, I got the attached SULEV parts list from the service dep't at the local dealership.

Attachments

#213 ·
I know in California the warranty states you have to present the car to the dealer for repairs, so it doesn't sound like you have a case. They then have 30 days to fix it. If you got it repaired at the dealer though and they charged you instead of BMW NA, that may be something.

I did contact the California Air Resources Board to clarify the list of parts, and the unhelpful rep said "An emissions related part is a part that affects emissions. You have to call the manufacturer to get the whole list." I asked her what if we disagreed on what was emissions related. She said I would have to take the car in, they would have to deny my claim with a letter, and then they would mediate. I personally think BMW NA and the dealers are afraid of CARB and don't want to give you a denial letter.

If you have a part that needs to be fixed, I would make an argument about the law.

California Code of Regulations, Title 13, Division 3, Chapter 1, Article 1, Section 1900 (b) (3) states:

"Emissions-related part" means any automotive part, which affects any regulated emissions from a motor vehicles which is subject to California or federal emissions standards. This includes, at a minimum, those parts specified in the “Emissions-Related Parts List,” adopted by the State Board on November 4, 1977, as last amended May 19, 1981.

I would just present that to them along with the list. Then I would let them tell me why it's not covered. If that happens, ask for a letter you can take to CARB, but I doubt you will get that far.

#206 ·
Does anyone know if East Bay BMW is an authorized dealer or if they're a corporate dealer? I've heard corporate (I.e. BMWNA owned dealerships) are easier to deal with when it comes to warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.