How to tell if it's been in an accident? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
Mwags

My Ride: '98 328is
How to tell if it's been in an accident?

Besides misaligned panel gaps and mismatched paint, are there any other giveaways that an e46 has been in a wreck and had the body panels replaced, like something you could spot in pictures in the engine bay or door jambs? I've found some candidates on my search for a car but it sucks not being able to inspect the car in person.
Mwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
05SMG

My Ride: E90,F30,F80
Model: O5' 330ci (RIP)
Transmission: SMG
This may be a clue that a fender was removed or possibly had a different one installed.....

Fender attach bolts that have the factory seal broken.

Meaning, an obvious break in the original paint to the point where a re attachment took place. It would look as if small crescent shapes of unpainted metal showing around each fastener.

Years ago when I took off my front right fender to address a rust spot, I repainted the fastner attach points with touch up paint because although my fender went back on pefectly, I could still tell that the bolts didn't look like the paint was laying over them as it came from the factory.

One other thing, although you probably will not see this on a fender or body panel, but a whilte BMW part number sticker is a dead giveway that a part was purchased and installed after the fact. fender liners, front air dam pieces, underbody trays etc. will have stickers on them.

I hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 05SMG; 01-09-2020 at 11:17 PM.
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
Mwags

^ would somebody be willing to post a picture of what their original fender bolts look like so I have a reference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
05SMG

My Ride: E90,F30,F80
Model: O5' 330ci (RIP)
Transmission: SMG
Here is what they should look like. These are from my wrecked 330ci. The right fender was removed 6 months prior so I could fix a rust spot on the A pillar. When I re attached the fender I used matching BMW touch up paint around every bolt shown with a bit of clear coat to replicate the original look. I don't have pictures of the bolts prior to painting them, but it was definitely noticable with what I termed "broken seal". This was with a perfect re attachment with no gap issues during the re install.

Dropbox link issues... I'll try posting pics with a different format.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	791403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	791405  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 05SMG; 01-09-2020 at 11:16 PM.
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:15 AM   #5
Mwags

thanks for the pics and the info