DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 11 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #201
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
320 and above came standard with map pockets lol
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #202

My Ride: 525iA E39
Question Stop movie in motion

Hi,

I just bought the already assembled PIBUS via eBay and can't wait to try it out. I guess it will take some time for it to arrive in Germany though but in the meantime I can buy a Raspberry Pi and play around with it.

Just one simple question (hopefully): Does the car send an IBUS message when the handbrake is applied?
The reason is: in Germany you aren't allowed to watch movies while driving so my idea was: When the handbrake is applied: tell XBMC to pause the movie (if there's one running) or change to MP3s when in motion.

[edit]Since my car has an automatic transmission it would, perhaps, also be possible to only allow video playback when in "P" (and not in "R", "N" or "D").[/edit]

Also: is it better / faster to store data like MP3s / Videos on the same SD-Card as the operating system or should you use a USB drive for that?

And before I forget it: for the great work!

Last edited by Mopinsky; 02-10-2014 at 06:57 AM.
320247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #203
headlock

My Ride: E46 M3
^i went with a USB stick for media. It's cheaper to buy a large one and more easily removable.

also you want a faster SD card for the OS.
headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #204
headlock

edit: double

Last edited by headlock; 02-10-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #205
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopinsky View Post
Hi,

I just bought the already assembled PIBUS via eBay and can't wait to try it out. I guess it will take some time for it to arrive in Germany though but in the meantime I can buy a Raspberry Pi and play around with it.

Just one simple question (hopefully): Does the car send an IBUS message when the handbrake is applied?
The reason is: in Germany you aren't allowed to watch movies while driving so my idea was: When the handbrake is applied: tell XBMC to pause the movie (if there's one running) or change to MP3s when in motion.

[edit]Since my car has an automatic transmission it would, perhaps, also be possible to only allow video playback when in "P" (and not in "R", "N" or "D").[/edit]

Also: is it better / faster to store data like MP3s / Videos on the same SD-Card as the operating system or should you use a USB drive for that?

And before I forget it: for the great work!
There is a message that contains a handbrake ON/OFF bit, but there's no software to do anything with it. You'd be better off using the 'vehicle driving' bit, which is what the factory TV uses.

Code:
80 0A BF 13 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX CS

DB 1 xxxxxxxx
       || |||- Handbrake On
       || ||-- Oil Pressure Low
       || |--- Brake Pads Worn
       ||----- Transmission Emergency Program
       |-------Not In Park

DB 2 xxxxxxxx
          |||- Motor Running
          ||-- Vehicle Driving
          |--- Reverse Not Plausible

0001----- Reverse
0010----- 1
0100----- 2
0110----- Neutral
1000----- Drive
1011----- Park
1100----- 4
1101----- 3
1110----- 5

DB 3 xxxxxxxx
       | ||||- Alarm Siren On
       | |||-- Immobiliser On
       | ||--- Aux Heat On
       | |---- Aux Vent On
       |------- Temp F
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #206
ccfj1

My Ride: 2003 M3
Hi Pete,

Looking at this a bit more, it looks like you don't need the raspberry at all, it appears to be there just for the xbmc and sd/video/mp3 storage, is that correct? The MC is the clever (very clever) bmw interface?

Also is the attiny2313a-su programmable on the board as is?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #207
headlock

Hey Pete

Should the mode function switch the screen between the standard stereo and the Pi, or is the video output from the pi constant regardless of what channel its on?

mine stays if you switch it to radio / tape / etc.

Not a big deal but if it is supposed to come back out of the pi's video when you change from the CD input, then mine's misfiring somewhere.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #208
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Hi Pete,

Looking at this a bit more, it looks like you don't need the raspberry at all, it appears to be there just for the xbmc and sd/video/mp3 storage, is that correct? The MC is the clever (very clever) bmw interface?

Also is the attiny2313a-su programmable on the board as is?
What do you propose it do without xbmc and sd/video/mp3 storage? It'll be a pretty dumb unit. Yes it's programmable, there's a header on the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlock View Post
Hey Pete

Should the mode function switch the screen between the standard stereo and the Pi, or is the video output from the pi constant regardless of what channel its on?

mine stays if you switch it to radio / tape / etc.

Not a big deal but if it is supposed to come back out of the pi's video when you change from the CD input, then mine's misfiring somewhere.
You mean you can't see your normal BMW menu any more? It's not right.

It switches back if you press e.g. MENU, FM, MODE and some other keys. Check your Pin17 isn't shorted to ground and that Q4 is soldered on correctly.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #209
ccfj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
What do you propose it do without xbmc and sd/video/mp3 storage?
Use the pi to emulate new parts of the OEM menu system and add new modules as though they were OEM, instead of using the CD changer mode, I would use the AUX mode and build a menu for A2DP (with text and button control), DAB (again with menu and button control) and DVT (this would use the rev cam switch trigger which you have conveniently provided, coupled with a button overlay (to emulate the remote, for EPG, channel name and channel select).

I have been able to reconfigure the AUX menu and add menus and text as though the cars infotainment system had generated it, so it looks and feels OEM.

I have also been able to spoof the OEM phone menus too (from i-bus), in effect turn on the menus as though a OEM phone is connected when its not, so I'm hoping I can emulate the OEM phone with a USB BT dongle.

(I already have Gen13 BT module in the car, so grabbing i-bus decode/emulation codes should be ok).

The tricky part will be the translation database, but the more I read the more it does look doable.

Quote:
It'll be a pretty dumb unit.
Just how I want it, with a fast booting OS with no GIU, just the bmw i-bus interface and menu rendering.

Quote:
Yes it's programmable, there's a header on the board.
Perfect.

Can the Pibus board also provide an extra switched 12v/5v supply for an USB hub or port replicate (so that it can power the hub down at the same time as the RiPi?)

Last edited by ccfj1; 02-12-2014 at 05:54 AM.
ccfj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #210
PeteAU

Quote:
Use the pi to emulate new parts of the OEM menu system and add new modules as though they were OEM, instead of using the CD changer mode, I would use the AUX mode and build a menu for A2DP (with text and button control), DAB (again with menu and button control) and DVT (this would use the rev cam switch trigger which you have conveniently provided, coupled with a button overlay (to emulate the remote, for EPG, channel name and channel select).

I have been able to reconfigure the AUX menu and add menus and text as though the cars infotainment system had generated it, so it looks and feels OEM.

I have also been able to spoof the OEM phone menus too (from i-bus), in effect turn on the menus as though a OEM phone is connected when its not, so I'm hoping I can emulate the OEM phone with a USB BT dongle.

(I already have Gen13 BT module in the car, so grabbing i-bus decode/emulation codes should be ok).

The tricky part will be the translation database, but the more I read the more it does look doable.

Just how I want it, with a fast booting OS with no GIU, just the bmw i-bus interface and menu rendering.

Perfect.
You've lost me. You were talking about running the Pibus without the Pi and now you list all these features you want to implement with the Pi

BT phone support sounds interesting, is the protocol described somewhere?

Quote:
Can the Pibus board also provide an extra switched 12v/5v supply for an USB hub or port replicate (so that it can power the hub down at the same time as the RiPi?)
Just tap into the 5V on the board, it's got plenty of spare juice.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #211
Arthur530SE

My Ride: 2001 530iSE
Case design

Hi All,

I'm working on a case to house the Pi + PiBus interface, a hard disk and a USB hub. I'm currently looking for some suitable panel mounted connectors. It's taking a while though as I don't have much spare time at the moment.

The case is based on a Hammond Enclosure, part no. 1455ZT2201 from Farnell. It's a great looking case and not over priced at around 24 +vat. It's made from aluminium so should help with heat dissipation. I'm also going to design a simple temperature controlled fan that will be independent of the Pi.

All my designs are done using Google SketchUp, so when it's all done I'll try to post the design or email it out upon request.

Another development is to add some of the more useful XBMC plugins to control the phone and add OBC functions.

A question for Pete: Does the Pi have access to the iBus or is it just AT micro that controls it? If the Pi has this access then there should be no reason for the plugins not to work.

I have been asked by ccfj1 to build his PiBus board, if anyone else in the UK wants an assembly service I'd be happy to build the boards.
Arthur530SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #212
ccfj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
You've lost me. You were talking about running the Pibus without the Pi and now you list all these features you want to implement with the Pi
Sorry mate, What I meant was that running the Pibus but without having to have the xbmc and/or sd card av support, still use the RiPi but without xbmc.

Dont get me wrong mate, the Pibus looks superb, I just prefer OEM look and feel.

Quote:
BT phone support sounds interesting, is the protocol described somewhere?
For the OEM BT? AFAIK

1. Handsfree Profile (Note this is the same as the Headset Profile)
2. Object Push Profile (SMS Support). (OPP)
3. Generic Object Exchange (Phonebook synchronization). (Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP, PBA)), early ULF have no phonebook loading, middle have phonebook, later have also caller id.

For the BT dongle it should have all of them (I'm thinking of the ASUS USB-BT211), it has everything needed.

Assuming I can mate the dongle with what the i-bus is expecting then should be doable.

Quote:
Just tap into the 5V on the board, it's got plenty of spare juice.
Cool.

Last edited by ccfj1; 02-12-2014 at 10:06 AM.
ccfj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:00 AM   #213
anto

My Ride: M3 E46 SMG
Hi Pete, I've completely build my Pibus, but i'm encountering problems with video switch. When I select CDC I see the CDC Screen with CDC 1-04 Displayed, but it doesn't switch to AV Input.

I've double checked video connection output from pibus, which is OK because Display is OK when connected to AV input on TV Tuner.

I suspect that the Ibus message isn't sent to TV Module to switch input.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anto

PS : link to my ibus log http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil.../ibus-txt.html
anto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:12 AM   #214
E46 Coupe

Have you checked the reverse wire? That's the wire that switches the video to the Pibus.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 AM   #215
anto

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post
Have you checked the reverse wire? That's the wire that switches the video to the Pibus.
Fo now I've just checked continuity, I've not yet checked if an impulse is sent when switching to CDC.

I'll try to do that asap.

PS : Is it possible for you to send me a fully functional ibus.txt to compare and check if all is working good on this side ?

Last edited by anto; 02-18-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #216
E46 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Fo now I've just checked continuity, I've not yet checked if an impulse is sent when switching to CDC.

I'll try to do that asap.

PS : Is it possible for you to send me a fully functional ibus.txt to compare and check if all is working good on this side ?

As far as anything is concerned your ibus signals are working with cdc04 displayed. It's your video switching that isn't working.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #217
anto

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 Coupe View Post
As far as anything is concerned your ibus signals are working with cdc04 displayed. It's your video switching that isn't working.
Hi, I've checked reverse wire. I don't see anything on it. Voltage between PB0 and Q4 is null all the time. Do you know how this transistor works and how to test it.

I'm going to try to check gnd connection.

Edit : Gnd connection seems good, it has continuity with Attiny port 10.

If you have any ideas, tell me.

Edit : Pete, do you know if Attiny could fail on just one pin ? I don't know if I have to change Attiny or Q4 because I don't know how to diagnose which one is faulty.

Last edited by anto; 02-18-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #218
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
Hi, I've checked reverse wire. I don't see anything on it. Voltage between PB0 and Q4 is null all the time. Do you know how this transistor works and how to test it.

I'm going to try to check gnd connection.

Edit : Gnd connection seems good, it has continuity with Attiny port 10.

If you have any ideas, tell me.

Edit : Pete, do you know if Attiny could fail on just one pin ? I don't know if I have to change Attiny or Q4 because I don't know how to diagnose which one is faulty.
Does your LED blink at 1 Hz? Is it a single or double blink?

Try to run pibus without the "-b" flag in autostart.sh and then change video with the Phone button manually.

You should get 3V at PB0 when it switches. Are you 100% sure you didn't mix up Q4 with another part?

If you're really stuck, try removing Q4 and then measure PB0 to see if you get 3V (only when on CDC1-04). But it's quite difficult to remove parts without damaging the board.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #219
anto

Hi Pete,

My led is blinking at 1 Hz, It normally blink once but sometimes I can see it blinking twice. (approx. quarter of the time)

I've started pibus without -b option to test but the phone button doesn't either switch the video.

I've tested voltage PB0 and Pin 10 of attiny (given as GND in your schemas), and it's always 0.

I'm sure of Q4 is similar to Q2 and Q3 which seems to be good regarding your parts list.

Do you think removing Q4 will change something on PB0 voltage ?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #220

My Ride: 525iA E39
I got my pibus interface today, took only 8 days to travel across the planet.
But I couldn't get it to work.

The pibus interface seems to be working, my Screen says CD1-04 as it should. But there is no video from the Raspberry Pi.

I tested the RPi a couple of days ago with the latest OpenELEC and everything seems to be working fine. Also, the pibus-software is writing a logfile (which I attached to this post, just remove the ".pdf").

Everything should be wired correctly even though my video module looks slightly different than in your pictures. Mine looks like this:

The pin assignment should be the same though.

Aside from not getting a video signal on the car's screen / the screen not switching to the RPi, do you have to set a specific screen resolution in XBMC before wiring it up in your car?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ibus .txt.pdf (146.9 KB, 186 views)
320247 is offline   Reply With Quote