DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 98 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #1941
vitalic

My Ride: E38
Hi Pete,

yes already thought about that. The question is, how to realize it.

If the car has tv and nav, the tv generates the pic. If the car only has nav, the nav generates te pic. That can be read in bmw wds system.

So you first have to change the vehicle code to make clear there is no tv modul. Thats is not the problem. This can be coded with bmw scanner.

But after this, does the reversecam still work?

The nav sends other like tv, a RGB + sync signal instead of RGsB.

How do you want to switch between the 3 resources than?

Right now i just switch between pi and tv modul. After removing tv modul you'd also have to make reversecam as input possible.

The board is based on pibus. So right now i also use the pin 17 from tv modul to make the HDMI switch select the input.

Pibus acts like, when switching to cdc, make tv modul switch to reversecamview. But if you remove the tv modul, there is no more reversecamview?

Or does the nav also offer an input?
vitalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #1942
bigTom

My Ride: E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalic View Post
Hi Pete,

yes already thought about that. The question is, how to realize it.

If the car has tv and nav, the tv generates the pic. If the car only has nav, the nav generates te pic. That can be read in bmw wds system.
I don't know who is really generating the image on a screen, but in E83, if I plug only NAV module or NAV + TV, the menu/screen looks identical, only one more option is added (television). If I plug only TV module and unplug NAV, the screen and menu looks totally different. So it looks like on E83 NAV module is the main one. I had an idea of emulating the TV module on RPi and totally removing TV module, but I am not good at electronics so have no idea how to do hardware side the correct way
bigTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:21 AM   #1943
vitalic

My bad that was not exact enough. The pic is generated by nav, but is drawn by tv modul.

I also thought some time before to let the system be shown by the pi, but that requests massive programing. Also it takes some time for the pi to boot.

It would be great to have only the pi as module there. This way you would be able to build in a touchscreen only without the need of any physical button. So you could remove the complete bordmonitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 AM   #1944
vitalic

At Pete,

you are right. I have a solutuon in my mind to switch between Pi HDMI, nav to HDMI, and cam to HDMI.

This way i will be able to remove the tv modul completly and make things easier.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #1945
harryberlin

My Ride: E39 Touring
The landscape of RGsB is:
Nav from MK3 (MK2 i'm not sure)makes the Screen. If there is a tv-modul integrated, the tv modul forwards the nav signal. only when you turn to tv or rearcam, the tv modul generates/shows/overlays the screen.
you can check this, when you stay on nav screen in tv mode. the nav shows an empty screen.
When you replace the tv modul and use an usual tft incl. driverboard, you must handle the sources by yourself. most tft has a seperated av in, which can enabled by one wire for rearcam.
harryberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #1946
vitalic

So this is my idea:

Instead of using 1 HDMI switch i use 2.

Number one will switch between reversecam input and switch 2.
Switch 2 will switch between rasp pi input and oem input.

I can use the gpio outputs (controlled by pibus) to control the switches, like i do at the moment.

The rearcam signal will be converted via AVtoHDMI converter, the oem pic from nav module will be converted by module like GONBES8200 to HDMI.

So i'll make a new pcb layout that will fit into the tv module. Maybe i'll find the blue and the white connector to solder them on the new pcb.

Last edited by vitalic; 05-13-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #1947
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalic View Post
So this is my idea:

Instead of using 1 HDMI switch i use 2.

Number one will switch between reversecam input and switch 2.
Switch 2 will switch between rasp pi input and oem input.

I can use the gpio outputs (controlled by pibus) to control the switches, like i do at the moment.

The rearcam signal will be converted via AVtoHDMI converter, the oem pic from nav module will be converted by module like GONBES8200 to HDMI.

So i'll make a new pcb layout that will fit into the tv module. Maybe i'll find the blue and the white connector to solder them on the new pcb.
You shouldn't disrupt your current board/design! This TV motherboard idea is VERY big.

I think you would need to have a microcontroller, to emulate TV module (IBUS device 0xED). And CVBS->RGsB converter for reverse cam and socket for possible DVB-T2 module. It's very complex and maybe one year of development...
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote