DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 41 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 02:37 AM   #801
crazyazz

My Ride: 2002 M3 2010 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmelb View Post
I must have the predecessor to that second one. No LEDs around the lens. Camera works very well but the guidelines are obviously out, but I don't trust them anyway as I can see my rear bumper with the camera. It lights up very well at night and with my LED reverse lights it works even better
Thanks for the reply bud, might just order the 4 LED version
crazyazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #802
FAShooter

My Ride: Z4M Roadster
Hi there.
I've been wandering the internet for some time now, searching for the most intelligent way of upgrading the audio features of my Z4M Roadster.
Unfortunately for me, i have a set of options which seem to be a bit awkward. I have the Hifi DSP 10 speakers option, BT phone option, 16/9 satnav, but not the CD Changer, and, bear with me on that, i do not have the CD Changer wiring in the car. Believe me, i searched. I do not have the 3-pin nor the 6-pin connectors in my car. They are NOT there.
Moreover, it would appear, after having torn half the car apart, that my BM54 audio module does not have the coaxial plug for the CD Changer. My car has been sold originally in Germany, production date is Jan/Feb 2006, if that helps.

I've tried to buy and install a cheap, chinese MP3 USB adapter, and i was able to plug it at the rear of the radio head unit. The car was indeed fooled to believe it was a CD Changer and i was able to play MP3 through it. Audio quality was acceptable (but not that great compared to an MP3 CD with the same files on it), but managing through the files was a PITA. And MP3 titles/artist and so on were not displayed on the satnav screen. Problem is, the adapter cannot be upgraded in any way, software is not publicly available so i cannot modify it.

So, i know that the Ibus on the car can be fooled, i know that the audio input at the rear of the radio head unit works,that they are somehow connected to the CD Changer outputs, and i know that the Ibus command from the MFSW works at least on the chinese MP3 thingie, so i guess that the Pibus should work.
Since i do not have the TV option, i would like to use the "basic" way of displaying titles and so on on the satnav screen, just like the CD player does for MP3 CD, and just like the CD changer is supposed to do. If the software running on the Pi has to be modified/upgraded to do that, i'm more than willing to do so (i'm a computer engineer, blah blah blah...), and to give the modifications back to the community.

So, before committing myself (and my money ) to the PiBus and a Pi, i'd just like to know if anyone has been on the same situation as me, if there are any blocking point that would prevent the system from working at all, or if it is just a case of spending some time on the software to make it work.

Thanks for your answers (and now i will read the entire thread, not just the last two pages...).

Last edited by FAShooter; 07-15-2015 at 03:28 PM.
FAShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #803
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAShooter View Post
Hi there.
I've been wandering the internet for some time now, searching for the most intelligent way of upgrading the audio features of my Z4M Roadster.
Unfortunately for me, i have a set of options which seem to be a bit awkward. I have the Hifi DSP 10 speakers option, BT phone option, 16/9 satnav, but not the CD Changer, and, bear with me on that, i do not have the CD Changer wiring in the car. Believe me, i searched. I do not have the 3-pin nor the 6-pin connectors in my car. They are NOT there.
Moreover, it would appear, after having torn half the car apart, that my BM54 audio module does not have the coaxial plug for the CD Changer. My car has been sold originally in Germany, production date is Jan/Feb 2006, if that helps.

I've tried to buy and install a cheap, chinese MP3 USB adapter, and i was able to plug it at the rear of the radio head unit. The car was indeed fooled to believe it was a CD Changer and i was able to play MP3 through it. Audio quality was acceptable (but not that great compared to an MP3 CD with the same files on it), but managing through the files was a PITA. And MP3 titles/artist and so on were not displayed on the satnav screen. Problem is, the adapter cannot be upgraded in any way, software is not publicly available so i cannot modify it.

So, i know that the Ibus on the car can be fooled, i know that the audio input at the rear of the radio head unit works,that they are somehow connected to the CD Changer outputs, and i know that the Ibus command from the MFSW works at least on the chinese MP3 thingie, so i guess that the Pibus should work.
Since i do not have the TV option, i would like to use the "basic" way of displaying titles and so on on the satnav screen, just like the CD player does for MP3 CD, and just like the CD changer is supposed to do. If the software running on the Pi has to be modified/upgraded to do that, i'm more than willing to do so (i'm a computer engineer, blah blah blah...), and to give the modifications back to the community.

So, before committing myself (and my money ) to the PiBus and a Pi, i'd just like to know if anyone has been on the same situation as me, if there are any blocking point that would prevent the system from working at all, or if it is just a case of spending some time on the software to make it work.

Thanks for your answers (and now i will read the entire thread, not just the last two pages...).
Do you have an analog (not SPDIF) CDC audio input? That would be mandatory.

Do you really think you can create a text-mode file browser using IBUS commands? It would be extremely difficult. You underestimate it. Why not just buy an intravee?
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #804
ghmelb

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Hey guys. Tried finding an answer to this. Apart from visually inspecting, Is there a way to find out if you have a BM53 radio?
ghmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:57 AM   #805
FAShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
Do you have an analog (not SPDIF) CDC audio input? That would be mandatory.
As far as i understand it, yes, i have an analog CDC input at the back of the head unit.

Quote:
Do you really think you can create a text-mode file browser using IBUS commands? It would be extremely difficult.
What i'm looking for is the exact replica of what the built-in MP3 CD player from the head unit does concerning MP3 : no browsing, just "next track/next folder" and displaying folder name, artist and title on the satnav screen. So not really a text-mode browser.
If i can get a folder listing (in the same manner as the phone directory for example), that would be awesome.

Quote:
You underestimate it.
On the contrary, i value your work and knowledge because the Pibus is kind of exactly what i want.

Quote:
Why not just buy an intravee?
Again, as far as i understand, the Intravee needs the CD changer wiring and the SPDIF connector, which i don't have, and it's more expensive.

Plus, i like the idea of tinkering with the Ibus stuff.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:07 AM   #806
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAShooter View Post
As far as i understand it, yes, i have an analog CDC input at the back of the head unit.

What i'm looking for is the exact replica of what the built-in MP3 CD player from the head unit does concerning MP3 : no browsing, just "next track/next folder" and displaying folder name, artist and title on the satnav screen. So not really a text-mode browser.
If i can get a folder listing (in the same manner as the phone directory for example), that would be awesome.

On the contrary, i value your work and knowledge because the Pibus is kind of exactly what i want.

Again, as far as i understand, the Intravee needs the CD changer wiring and the SPDIF connector, which i don't have, and it's more expensive.

Plus, i like the idea of tinkering with the Ibus stuff.
Well OK. I was just testing your resolve I do actually have a test program that allows browsing folders/files in text mode. It's full of bugs and short-comings, but I can dig up the source code if you get a pibus.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:11 AM   #807
FAShooter

Well, you should get a new purchase in the coming hours...
Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 AM   #808
Rexii

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci E46
I admire you DIY people. I went and bought a Navall 3 lolll

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Current Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci Metallic Mystic Blue 50,000Km
Rexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #809
jsquare

My Ride: E46 318i n46 Man
Year: 2004
Transmission: Manual
Hi guys,

trying to use my Pi Bus i seem to have everything working except for the video. i can hear the sound working when moving menu items but no video comes through, pressing the phone button changes the screen to be slightly darker, press it again and its still darker, then the 3rd press goes back to normal again, and will cycle this infinantly. hooking the video pins to the av in on the tuner module and the picture does come through if selecting ntsc but only in black and white and rolling (barely recognisable) i had though this was all due to a faulty video module but i have recently got another one and it does the same thing. im startring to thing (hope) there is a setting wrong with the software on the PI but could it be anything else?

thanks in advanced.

Jason
jsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #810
jsquare

Hi guys,

trying to use my Pi Bus i seem to have everything working except for the video. i can hear the sound working when moving menu items but no video comes through, pressing the phone button changes the screen to be slightly darker, press it again and its still darker, then the 3rd press goes back to normal again, and will cycle this infinantly. hooking the video pins to the av in on the tuner module and the picture does come through if selecting ntsc but only in black and white and rolling (barely recognisable) i had though this was all due to a faulty video module but i have recently got another one and it does the same thing. im startring to thing (hope) there is a setting wrong with the software on the PI but could it be anything else?

thanks in advanced.

Jason
Old 08-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #811
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquare View Post
Hi guys,

thanks in advanced.

Jason
Is the TRRS cable pushed in properly?

There was a case where someone's plastic Pi housing had a hole too small for the TRRS cable, so you couldn't properly push it in all the way.

The video signal travels through this cable.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #812
jsquare

Hi Pete.

the TRRS cable is in pretty secure, with no housing, but saying this i reapply the cable again and see if it makes any changes, thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 AM   #813
AuzzieE46

My Ride: 330CI Convertible
Also make sure the 3 wire video feed cable is correctly wired at both ends. Mine turned up with the plug on the PiBus end reversed. (Pete mentions this in his tutorial).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pibus-tvpins3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	608394  
1973 Mercedes Benz Custom Topless 2 Door
AuzzieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:02 AM   #814
jsquare

Quote:
Hi Pete.

the TRRS cable is in pretty secure, with no housing, but saying this i reapply the cable again and see if it makes any changes, thanks
Yea gave that a shot but no luck.
this still wouldn't explain why the video doesn't change to reverse camera.
im trying to find a way to see if the signal coming from the pi is working correctly but it is surprising ly hard to find something around the house that will take av input these days. (Hdmi works fine)
Old 08-02-2015, 02:47 AM   #815
jsquare

just checked, the video of the pibus is perfect on the tv.. even after 20 different attachments.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #816
jsquare

Tv module Behavour

Still no luck, but as the pi and pibus seem to be working correctly it must be something with the car.
the Pins on the pibus are going to the correct pins on the tv module. (colours are correct even). i thought it might be a faulty tv module but i have replaced in on the weekend and it does the same thing where it just dims the screen, pressing the telephone button does that same thing. i tried grounding pin 17 to the body of the car and it has the same behavior as what the pibus does.
does anybody know of another pin on the tv module that does the same thing as pin 17 as something seems to be off here.
other than having this working i might need to get an additional screen and run a cable to the front of the car. so excited to have this working as i think its a work of art. just a shame its not happening for me.

i did manage to get the the video working hooked up the the av input pins although its in black and white what makes me wonder if its possible that the pi might be putting out a PAL signal, if this is possible how would i change that?

thanks again for any input towards this.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:10 AM   #817
bigTom

My Ride: E83
Quote:
i did manage to get the the video working hooked up the the av input pins although its in black and white what makes me wonder if its possible that the pi might be putting out a PAL signal, if this is possible how would i change that?

To change PI settings:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com...onfig.txt/info

To change BMW VIDEO module settings (PAL/NTSC), you need some hardware (like Reslers interface) and software (ex. NavCoder).
bigTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #818
PeteAU

Quote:

That sounds right. The AV input (pin 6/15) will be PAL, but the camera input (pins 13/14) will be NTSC. The Pi runs NTSC by default, unless you modified it or are running different software.

Sounds like just the pin 13 wire or crimp pin is faulty?

If you touch pin 17 to ground (chassis) and feed NTSC video into 13/14 you will see a picture, it really should be that simple.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #819
jsquare

Cheers for the Response guys,
the Pi is stock as directions show, i have replaced the wires and tested it as best i can. i do believe the pi and the wiring is functioning as it is ment to be (forcing ntsc seemed to help, thanks bigTom).
i don't see how 2 different tv modules have could be malfuncting in the exact same way but they both do the same thing. i was wondering if anybody knows what the tv module does when there is no signal going to the reverse camera inputs and and pin 17 gets grounded? mostly what it does is the screen dimming a little but but occasionally it goes black. im thinking there might be something else going on here.

thanks again.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:36 AM   #820
PeteAU

Quote:
i was wondering if anybody knows what the tv module does when there is no signal going to the reverse camera inputs and and pin 17 gets grounded?
Black screen.

Quote:
mostly what it does is the screen dimming a little but but occasionally it goes black. im thinking there might be something else going on here.

thanks again.
Well, if you had pin17 from the Pibus connected to something else or wrong connection, I guess you could have fried the pin17 transistor on the pibus. But since you say forcing pin17 to GND doesn't help, I suppose not.

When you were testing it with the AV input, were you using the 3-pin pibus header to feed it in? Or straight from the TRRS cable?

Last edited by PeteAU; 08-05-2015 at 04:49 AM.