DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 49 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 04:30 AM   #961
nealfromnz

My Ride: 2002 e46
The high drain devices such a bluray, SSD, additional optical Dac will be powered from the 7 port powered hub below the PI. The hub will get a 2 or 3 amp regulated 12volt to 5 volt supply.
I have an additional 12 volt power distribution block nearby which I use for switching on my additional audio equipment ( amps , DSP , old car pc) The power is controlled via the state of the bm53 aerial and amp out.

I may need to change the shutdown timers on the PI so it isn't left with trying to drive the hub in between. ( I haven't studied your power supply to see if I can tap in somewhere to control a relay for the power to the USB hub based on state)

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps5d21eb2c.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps3a38bbdc.jpg

Old system
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...psb082d509.jpg

Last edited by nealfromnz; 01-16-2016 at 04:36 AM.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:29 AM   #962
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealfromnz View Post
The high drain devices such a bluray, SSD, additional optical Dac will be powered from the 7 port powered hub below the PI. The hub will get a 2 or 3 amp regulated 12volt to 5 volt supply.
I have an additional 12 volt power distribution block nearby which I use for switching on my additional audio equipment ( amps , DSP , old car pc) The power is controlled via the state of the bm53 aerial and amp out.
The "Pwr Out" header on the pibus could almost supply 2A @ 5V. The regulator is rated at 3A, diodes at 3A and inductor at 2.5A. But it would get a little bit hot and the caps are probably a bit small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealfromnz View Post
I may need to change the shutdown timers on the PI so it isn't left with trying to drive the hub in between. ( I haven't studied your power supply to see if I can tap in somewhere to control a relay for the power to the USB hub based on state)
There's room on the board to add some parts to control anything in software through GPIO26 on the Pi.
Then you could connect a relay between "SG" and 5V/12V and control it from the Pi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pibus4-gpio26.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	622206  
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #963
nealfromnz

My Ride: 2002 e46
These ideas are sounding good. I'll need to learn the basics first of the Pi and the control of the Gpio . It's also been about 15 years since I last worked with UNIX based systems so will be a bit rusty.

Initially I'll run the setup without the ssd as there is a 128 GB micro thumb drive which should have low power consumption.

Have about 500 CDs but might see how practical this is in terms of navigating cd tittles. 128 Gb should give me a couple of hundred at least in lossless format.

Last edited by nealfromnz; 01-16-2016 at 02:13 PM.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #964
Ben1902

My Ride: E83
E83 TV retrofit

Hello,

I own a E83, it does not have the TV tuner installed, and I am starting on my pibus installation soon. I see others in the same situation, and I have found the BMW TV retrofit manual for E83 here:

http://bmwcarx.com/web/DocumentosBMW...X3_E83_eng.pdf

It describes the process and also the new harness in detail, so if you own a soldering iron, it shoud not be too complicated. I have bought just the plugs on ebay, and will solder the harness for myself. I will let you know how it goes.

Also, the manual states you need to run the retrofit command/option on GT1, or some else program I dont know what is, but I have the GT1, and I will also put a description in here on how i did it if I succeed

Edit: timanrebel & miikew is absolutely right. No programming needed!

/Ben

Last edited by Ben1902; 02-11-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Ben1902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #965
timanrebel

My Ride: E83 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben1902 View Post
Hello,

Also, the manual states you need to run the retrofit command/option on GT1, or some else program I dont know what is, but I have the GT1, and I will also put a description in here on how i did it if I succeed
/Ben
After installing the TV tuner with a harness I bought from Ebay, the TV tuner was recognised after a short while. I connected the car via the ODBII connector to my laptop, but when I did a read out of the ECU the radio already rebooted and displayed the tv option. Maybe coding is not even really necessary.

Still waiting for my Pibus to arrive, so have not been able to test it.
timanrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #966
miikew

My Ride: X3 E83
Quote:

i didn't need to do any program changes, after making correct cable and plug tvtuner into bmw network, TVTUNER menu appeard near DSP,PHONE,NAVI etc .
miikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 AM   #967
timanrebel

I received the pibus board and am trying to install it in my E83 X3. I have two questions. Is the connector as in the attached image the right one in my trunk? I can not get it in the pibus (clearly does not fit). I don't have a cd changer, but i do have the plugs i think (and a iPod unit in my glove compartment). I am also able to power the raspberry with the 3-pin cable in my trunk.

Second question: An orange light is blinking on top of the pibus card. Is that normal? I tried hooking it up to the AUX without the 6-pin connector.

Last edited by timanrebel; 01-29-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:13 AM   #968
timanrebel

Peter already answered my question via the email, so let me post it here as well for others to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by timanrebel View Post
I received the pibus board and am trying to install it in my E83 X3. I have two questions. Is the connector as in the attached image the right one in my trunk? I can not get it in the pibus (clearly does not fit). I don't have a cd changer, but i do have the plugs i think (and a iPod unit in my glove compartment). I am also able to power the raspberry with the 3-pin cable in my trunk.
Yes it's the right one. There should be a cover over the connector you can remove. Once you remove it, it will fit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timanrebel View Post
Second question: An orange light is blinking on top of the pibus card. Is that normal? I tried hooking it up to the AUX without the 6-pin connector.
Yes the blinking is good, it means the software is running.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #969
timanrebel

I can't get my Pibus+Raspberry pi to work. I think I plugged in all the cables correctly. Could not get a cover off the 6-pin plug, so removed 2 small parts with a knife and now it fits on the pibus. I tried with both the 6-pin CDC connector and the AUX input, changing the pibus command in autostart.sh.

My ibus.txt

This part bothers me: ibus/gpio busy - waiting
It might be that the iPod unit disabled the CDC cables?

The part with "serial port is broken - reopening" is when the Raspberry is connected to USB without the Pibus board I guess (Can I hook it up on USB power with the Pibus still on the Pi?)

Last edited by timanrebel; 01-29-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:30 AM   #970
Ben1902

Ipod interface

Hello,

I also have the e83, as stated earlier, and the original BMW iPod interface. I can confirm that this interface is using the cdc cables to interact with the factory system. On my install there is a button on the center cupholder that is used to switch between the cd-changer and the iPod interface. You could do the same, or you will have to somehow take it off the bus when you are using the pibus.

Hope that helps.

BR
Ben
Old 01-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #971
timanrebel

Quote:
Hello,
On my install there is a button on the center cupholder that is used to switch between the cd-changer and the iPod interface.
I don't have the CDC and no button (afaik, is it ON or under the central cupholder?). I'll ask someone to remove the iPod interface. With the interface connected, did your Pibus receive any IBUS commands?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #972
Ben1902

Ipod interface

I have not installed my pibus yet. On the cupholder was just a button that gives 12v to the ipod interface OR the cdc. On your car (since you have no CDC) they probably just connected it, and you have no way to turn it off. My ipod interface box itself is tucked away in the dashboard between the head unit and the glove compartment. (ca 10x5x3cm wild guess) To get to it I have to remove the head unit in the dash (CD player etc). The ipod interface is pluggable, so I assume its enough to disconnect the plug that goes into it to stop it from reporting its presence on the i-bus. But as far as I understand, nothing of this is supposed to stop you from RECEIVING the ibus signals, but I can see that the pibus AND the ipod interface is reporting itself as CDC is a problem, and maybe its wise to address this problem first, and see if this solves it.

Ben
Old 01-31-2016, 04:48 AM   #973
timanrebel

I removed the iPod interface yesterday with the help of my neighbour (in 15 mins, I am impressed), but that did not solve it. Via the mail Peter and I concluded that I probably blew up my Pibus board by connecting the Raspberry Pi to USB power. The IBUS communication chip looks fried. I ordered a new chip and will replace it on the board

Last edited by timanrebel; 01-31-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #974
BMW 740iL NL

My Ride: 1998 BMW 740iL
steering wheel buttons

Hi there, on my E38 steering wheel I find an air circulation button instead of a phone button. Is it possible to recode the PIBUS driver to recognize a double tap on the air circulation button (so there is no effect on the air circulation setting)?

Cheers!
BMW 740iL NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #975
Ben1902

Trying to understand rpi

Hello again,

I have worked out most of the things, but I am not able to understand what the pibus executable under /storage is. How do get the pibus program to use the rpi files? (https://github.com/PeteAU/pibus/tree/master/rpi) in Toms "current setup" I just have the "rpi" folder. How do I apply them?

Tnx
Ben
Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #976
bigTom

What kind of rpi files? Pibus executable is compiled from PeteAU sources files https://github.com/PeteAU/pibus/tree/master/rpi or from mine source files located in zip. My version of pibus is designed for E83 with CDC, a lot of things are excluded from PeteAU source files.

To compile these files you can use Raspberry Pi or QEMU software.
bigTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #977
Ben1902

Installed the PiBus today with bigTom`s setup (Thank you for your work and sharing!). Works like a charm. Looking forward to the ALSA equalizer for Kodi if that is ever coming out. A bit loud on the tweeters on my 677 sound option. It seems that the CDC sound is not processed on the DSP eq..

Edit: Of course the DSP EQ works, it was just me with a bad MP3 (I had to dig deep for a mp3 file on my old machine, since I plan using LTE and the spotlight addon), and the fact that I had to adjust twice as much as usual to hear the EQ changes properly. *Jippii*

/Ben

Last edited by Ben1902; 02-11-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: I was wrong
Old 02-11-2016, 03:50 AM   #978
Ben1902

v4 flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTom View Post
What kind of rpi files? Pibus executable is compiled from PeteAU sources files https://github.com/PeteAU/pibus/tree/master/rpi or from mine source files located in zip. My version of pibus is designed for E83 with CDC, a lot of things are excluded from PeteAU source files.

To compile these files you can use Raspberry Pi or QEMU software.
Ok. When I use your pibus file, it does not support my v4 pibus. Maybe you have an older pibus than v4? It works fine with petes pibus file, but then the OBC values is not fetched.. (of course). Is there a possibility that someone can compile bigToms options with the v4 card support? When I try to run your pibus it specifically tells it does not support the -v flag.

It would be really nice to have the OBC values

/Ben
Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #979
bigTom

Yep, I use an old version of pibus (v2). So I can't modify or adjust soft for newer board, sorry

Quote:
Ok. When I use your pibus file, it does not support my v4 pibus. Maybe you have an older pibus than v4? It works fine with petes pibus file, but then the OBC values is not fetched.. (of course). Is there a possibility that someone can compile bigToms options with the v4 card support? When I try to run your pibus it specifically tells it does not support the -v flag.

It would be really nice to have the OBC values

/Ben
bigTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 AM   #980
TheDeathSpirit

My Ride: 330d ph2 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudooli View Post
Summer disappeared here for the last 3 days with persistent rain, so I've spent the time working on an updated skin that fits my screen better.

It's here if you want some of it - https://github.com/spudooli/skin.mimic - hit the download zip button and put it into your add-ons directory. All kudos to bryanbrazil of course for a great original skin that was so easy to hack about with for a low res screen.

It's based on a much later version of Mimic (2.3) which is best for Kodi Isengard. I think it's best with the vertical menu and I've only updated the text sizes for Roboto so you'll need to set both on the Skin Settings page. Given I don't intend to ever watch movies in my car I've also only updated the music related screens.

I've removed a bunch of superfluous stuff (like star ratings, artist names in some places, album year, genre and artist bios etc) that don't fit in small resolution screens. Font sizes have been bumped to make reading it all easier. All the other screens I've left alone as it makes configuring everything easier in the house on the big screen easier if they still exist.

Right now I'm monkeying with a home screen now playing widget.

And if you don't own an E39, you can change the background image. It's called default_bg.jpg in the backgrounds directory/
Hi ! I've tried to use your skin (thanks for your job), but I have a lot (really, a LOT) of visual glitches, and kodi becomes unusable. I am currently using and old beta of the last kodi, maybe that's the reason. I'll let you know what happens with an up to date version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobocobra View Post
Hi TheDeathSpirit
I fix my problem as follows and it works now.

What I did wrong:
I created the pibus-event.sh file in windows and copied it to the raspberry with scp. During this process the LineFeed is replaced by "^M" at the end of each line and therefore the commands were not executed under Linux

To check if you have the same issue:
1) Login with SSH on raspi
2) vi /storage/pibus-event.sh
3) control if each linefeed is correct (if the script is exactly correct)
=> thus I can confirm that on reverse gear the sound is now lowered (the error was once again 30cm in front of the screen)
Hi !
Thanks for your help and answer.

I've checked the file with nano directly over SSH, and the file was correct. I've tried with and without the -r flag... and still nothing happens (except the black -because no camera connected yet- screen).

Maybe the reason is that I have a PiBus v3 and not v4 ? Pete should have the answer.
TheDeathSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote