**Kpeng's Home Theater Revamp Thread** - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #21
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Removed the screen tonight and patched up all the holes from the wall mount speakers and the screen mount.

And I bought these two speaker stands from Best Buy for $50. Hooked them up on each side of the couch.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #22
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
See ninja edit. As for paint ummmm, I don't know what over the counter colors you could get, it would need to be a thick paint though. A think white with a tint of gray might work.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

This stuff I have now seems to be pretty thick. We painted a little spot to test it out. You think if I go back and have them mix some gray in it'd be cool?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #23
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Get a ceiling mount for the projector.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #24
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

This stuff I have now seems to be pretty thick. We painted a little spot to test it out. You think if I go back and have them mix some gray in it'd be cool?
Try the little light test I posted. I would try both. You really want to make this part right. It will affect both your picture lights and darks and that is something that can make or break a movie's PQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Automation and A/V Programming

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #25
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
Read the original post Ray. I already did. Just haven't mounted it yet...and I need to figure out how I'm going to run the wires.

Quote:
Try the little light test I posted. I would try both. You really want to make this part right. It will affect both your picture lights and darks and that is something that can make or break a movie's PQ.
Will do!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #26
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
I would actually build a custom encolsure on top of that counter if I were him and on a budget. Would be fairly cheap and would look a little better.

P.S. I have a projector in my office I am dying to get rid of, but it is probably too big for you. It's a Runco 720p projector we took out of a client's house. I can get the model tomorrow when I get in if you are interested.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #27
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
I would actually build a custom encolsure on top of that counter if I were him and on a budget. Would be fairly cheap and would look a little better.

P.S. I have a projector in my office I am dying to get rid of, but it is probably too big for you. It's a Runco 720p projector we took out of a client's house. I can get the model tomorrow when I get in if you are interested.
What kind of enclosure do you mean? I just got a ceiling mount to clean it all up. But this enclosure you speak of intrigues me.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:38 AM   #28
blownE30M3

Quote:
What kind of enclosure do you mean? I just got a ceiling mount to clean it all up. But this enclosure you speak of intrigues me.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #29
kpeng
Banned User

Eh...that'd still look weird on there I think. Any design ideas? And wouldn't that cause the projector to overheat? It gets hot as it is.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #30
blownE30M3

Quote:
Eh...that'd still look weird on there I think. Any design ideas? And wouldn't that cause the projector to overheat? It gets hot as it is.
I don't know the dimensions of the room. There are a couple things to consider when purchasing projectors. Number 1 is throw distance. This is the range of distance the projector needs to be from the screen. It varies from projector to projector. Number two would be the keystone adjustment. When using a ceiling mounted projector you need to calculate your throw distance and offset the difference if any with the keystone adjustment. This basically angles the picture so it looks flat coming onto the screen.

There are a lot of variables I would need to know to calculate whether a ceiling projector would work for you or not. Hence the fixed enclosure idea. Using plywood, build a box but leave the front open. Using mesh and cloth, cover the front and build a port for the lens. This will let it breath, keep visual appeal, and of course let you see the picture.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #31
kpeng
Banned User

Hmm...I'll take some measurements this afternoon when I get off work, if you don't mind giving me some input. I'd really like to figure this out before I go ahead with the ceiling mount. What dimensions do you need?

BTW, just curious...what do you do for a living?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #32
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
couple of things...

is this a house or apt?

1 story or 2?

why a projector instead of plasma? cost?

take a picture of the back wall kitchen cabinets from the couch.

can you put the projector on top of the rear wall cabinets?
17 Time National Champs Including: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. We WILL Get Redemption In 2019!

Ranting about TVs, football, cameras, guns, diamonds, and HDMI since 2005.

16 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring (wife)
07 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD
68 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS
-------------------------------------------------------
07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #33
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
couple of things...

is this a house or apt?

1 story or 2?

why a projector instead of plasma? cost?

take a picture of the back wall kitchen cabinets from the couch.

can you put the projector on top of the rear wall cabinets?
Hey glockman. This is a house, 1 story. I went with the projector because of price and I wanted a big picture. I don't watch TV enough to justify a plasma, just the occassional movie and video games. It won't fit on top of the rear cabinets, they're not deep enough.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #34
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
to run the wires - cut holes in ceiling and wall and fish the wires from the ceiling mount over and down inside the walls to the audio/video units....then patch said holes and you are done

you can get plates at home depot or lowes that are used to cover the two final install holes and allow for clean install
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #35
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
to run the wires - cut holes in ceiling and wall and fish the wires from the ceiling mount over and down inside the walls to the audio/video units....then patch said holes and you are done

you can get plates at home depot or lowes that are used to cover the two final install holes and allow for clean install
Stu, I was going to do that until I looked in my attic. The space over that part of the house is very small, and there is insulation everywhere, so it's a bit difficult to get to. It's def. what I want to do though. I can tap the power to the ceiling fan right near it and even mount an oulet on the ceiling right next to the projector. But now that I'm getting some more advice, I don't even know if I should do the ceiling mount. I'll get some dimensions of the room tonight.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #36
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: Something
all that car and you couldn't afford a better couch????
Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #37
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
Uh...my couch is plenty comfortable. And it's not dirty, the microfiber just shows up weird in pictures.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #38
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
why would you say something like that to someone you dont even know?
17 Time National Champs Including: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. We WILL Get Redemption In 2019!

07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci
Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #39
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
Stu, I was going to do that until I looked in my attic. The space over that part of the house is very small, and there is insulation everywhere, so it's a bit difficult to get to. It's def. what I want to do though. I can tap the power to the ceiling fan right near it and even mount an oulet on the ceiling right next to the projector. But now that I'm getting some more advice, I don't even know if I should do the ceiling mount. I'll get some dimensions of the room tonight.
yea, with the size of the room your projector will be pointing at a pretty big angle and the image could/would be distorted and partially blurry...possibly

is that what you are hearing?

are there cabinets above the counter the unit is sitting on now?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #40
GlockMan

Quote:
You would really be suprised what a good installer can pull off.

I would suggest atleast getting a couple of estimates from CEDIA certified companies in your area.

I would def do in-ceiling rears and ceiling mount the projector. Just those two changes would change the cosmetics dramatically.

In this economy, you can get great installers for $75 per hour.

JMPO.

07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci