Siemens Deka fuel injector info from Sean Nally at Continental (formerly Siemens VDO) - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
toddlemmon

My Ride: Two BMW's
Year: 2002
Model: Both 325i's
Siemens Deka fuel injector info from Sean Nally at Continental (formerly Siemens VDO)

Thought this might be helpful for anyone working on their E46's fuel system. I was finally able to get a response to my question about rehabbing the injectors on my 325i. I thought this might be of interest to others so I'm sharing Sean's response about maintenance. Todd

SEAN: "O-rings are a recommended replacement item when the injector is removed from the intake manifold (or cylinder head) and the fuel rail. They are available as a service kit from the dealer usually.

The filter is not usually a concern. The filter is sized at approximately 30 um while the fuel line filter that is a replaceable chassis item is normally in the range of 10 – 15 um (much smaller). Proper maintenance of the chassis fuel filter negates any reason to consider changing the injector inlet filter. The chassis filter should be capturing any contamination before it can reach the fuel injector. The injector inlet filter is there to catch any possible contamination in the fuel system downstream of the chassis filter upon 1st vehicle start or service repair on the fuel lines or rail.

If you would like further information, I would consult the internet. However, realize that much information out there can be mis-leading, including the need for expensive flushing and cleaning. A gasoline fuel injector is readily able to last 200,000 miles or more when used with decent gasolines (additive packages that prevent gum and varnish build-up) in an engine running without problems (ex bad rings that create high levels of soot). If an injector has debris in the inlet, it probably has contamination inside as well. If the tip of the injector is all covered with varnish or black soot, it may be to late to clean and restore original performance.

I will reference a site that is an authorized performance site selling Continental product for performance aftermarket. They list o-rings and also the filter that I believe would fit your injector. It is possible these are sourced from other suppliers than Continental. Again, I do not recommend the filter replacement. There are also sites that claim to match injector performance by flowing the injectors. For a street vehicle there is usually no need. I also looked quickly for known problems for your vehicle concerning fuel injectors and did not see much listed, which is good.

I hope this helps guide you in the proper direction.

That site is found at “siemensdeka.com”."
Old 05-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Except for a one specific injector that was used for a short time in these cars that (may have had the black body injector) would leak from the body during very cold temperatures, most of the fuel injectors on these cars are really trouble free, most push so much fuel through them they rarely have problems.

Also understand that almost every fuel dispenser pump at a gas station has at least a 30um (30 Micron) filter installed at the point of sale, some may use finer dispenser filter sizes as low as 10um or 10 Micron. The fuel filter is about 1/2 as fine as the filter at the pump and as mentioned so it should catch anything as fine as say 10-15um or 10-15 Microns. Overall the injector screens should be pretty much free from debris.

ALL rubber parts after about 7-8 years are in need of replacement. After the rubber has been compressed for years and run though many heat cycles and underhood heat soak cycles, the rubber is hard and not very elastic or pliable any more. So yes you want to and need to replace the injector O-rings. You should also be able to get these from your local auto parts store as well. Typically Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly's etc have these in stock.

Fuel pump failures - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
toddlemmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Except for a one specific injector that was used for a short time in these cars that (may have had the black body injector) would leak from the body during very cold temperatures, most of the fuel injectors on these cars are really trouble free, most push so much fuel through them they rarely have problems.

Also understand that almost every fuel dispenser pump at a gas station has at least a 30um (30 Micron) filter installed at the point of sale, some may use finer dispenser filter sizes as low as 10um or 10 Micron. The fuel filter is about 1/2 as fine as the filter at the pump and as mentioned so it should catch anything as fine as say 10-15um or 10-15 Microns. Overall the injector screens should be pretty much free from debris.

ALL rubber parts after about 7-8 years are in need of replacement. After the rubber has been compressed for years and run though many heat cycles and underhood heat soak cycles, the rubber is hard and not very elastic or pliable any more. So yes you want to and need to replace the injector O-rings. You should also be able to get these from your local auto parts store as well. Typically Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly's etc have these in stock.
Yep I got a full set of Viton rings for $15. Plus the little cups I won't use.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
What size are they?

podman
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlemmon View Post
Yep I got a full set of Viton rings for $15. Plus the little cups I won't use.
Thanks for posting this. Just curious, where did you source the o-rings with the screen cups from?

I got my o-rings from fcp euro, but I ordered the cheaper Elring ones, not genuine bmw. A total of $16 for large & smal injector, and air distribution piece o-rings (18 total).

When I do this, I think I'll leave the little screen cups alone and just replace o-rings. None of the online sources (ebay, Amazon, random websites) inspire much confidence as to proper fit and sizing of the screen cup replacements. I'd hate to take apart a functional injector and find the replacement screen cup doesn't fit or work just right. That it might not be necessary is even more reason to leave well enough alone.

For giggles, and depending on how pressed I am for time, I might do a flow test of the injectors into some shot glasses to see how close the flow rates are and to see how spray patterns are.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
toddlemmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
What size are they?

podman
The O-Rings? Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
toddlemmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Thanks for posting this. Just curious, where did you source the o-rings with the screen cups from?

I got my o-rings from fcp euro, but I ordered the cheaper Elring ones, not genuine bmw. A total of $16 for large & smal injector, and air distribution piece o-rings (18 total).

When I do this, I think I'll leave the little screen cups alone and just replace o-rings. None of the online sources (ebay, Amazon, random websites) inspire much confidence as to proper fit and sizing of the screen cup replacements. I'd hate to take apart a functional injector and find the replacement screen cup doesn't fit or work just right. That it might not be necessary is even more reason to leave well enough alone.

For giggles, and depending on how pressed I am for time, I might do a flow test of the injectors into some shot glasses to see how close the flow rates are and to see how spray patterns are.
I also spoke to one of the guys at FCP. he said the Elring are 100% totally great and there's no need to pay TEN TIMES more. Here's my link to what I bought

Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automatic
Quote:
I also spoke to one of the guys at FCP. he said the Elring are 100% totally great and there's no need to pay TEN TIMES more. Here's my link to what I bought

Nice, thanks. I've seen lots of advice online to not stress about the orings.

Btw, looks like you got one of the last oring/screen kits from that amazon vendor, the product is currently unavailable.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #9
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Currently unavailable.

podman
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote