P0140 and P0030 need help - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
pepega

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2005
Model: 330ci
Transmission: manual
P0140 and P0030 need help

Today I got a CEL with the codes

P0140 O2 sensor circuit no activity detected

and

P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit

I have searched for more info on these two codes but I have not found any threads with both the codes present.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? What are some things I should check first before going ahead and buying O2 sensors. All O2 sensors have been replaced a while ago.

Let me know if you need more information. I plugged my bluetooth OBD code reader and got the codes from OBD fusion app.
pepega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
Archbid

My Ride: Leaf
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0140

Either you have a bad sensor, a faulty wire, or something wrong with the ECM. I would hook up an app like OBDFusion and see whether bank 1 sensors are reporting. Once you find the bad one, switch to see if the reporting failure follows the sensor. If they are both bad, inspect the wiring.

Just remember to switch back.

And the maintenance interval on your O2 sensors is 125k, so if you are over that, I would replace them in any case to avoid other codes.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
pepega

What does the code P0030 mean? What is the heater control circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
Archbid

My Ride: Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
What does the code P0030 mean? What is the heater control circuit?
There is a heater inside the O2 sensor, and a circuit that provides power to it. A failure of that circuit could be the sensor is failed, the wires or connectors are compromised, or there is an ECM issue.

Replace the pre-cat O2 sensors. They are due.

The issue with many of these emissions-related codes is that a single cause, like failing O2 sensors, can lead to 10 different codes. Your O2 sensors are almost certainly failing, and when you replace them, these codes will likely go away.

Then I would strongly suggest that you get OBDFusion and look at your fuel trims, as cars at your age and mileage also tend to have vacuum leaks, old fuel filters, and MAF issues. If you can afford it, at 150k I would replace original pre-cats, MAF, fuel pump, fuel filter (really this is a 60k interval), and all rubber - CCV, DISA gasket, vacuum hoses if not replaced already. It runs $600-800, but then you can avoid chasing stuff for the next two years.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
pepega

Thanks! I am in the process of doing what you recommended.

Before I got those codes, I had a P2096 and that went away and got replaced by P0030 and P0140. So failing o2 sensors leading to different codes is probably true here.