DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 88 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #1741
timanrebel

My Ride: E83 X3
I updated my Mimic XS theme to the latest version of Kodi. (Actually I rebuild it)..

Easiest way to install the theme and keep it updated is via my repository on Github: (download zip). Thanks to harryberlin for the format of the repository (and all his other work).

The theme is not yet perfect and I will keep updating it to make it even better readable and usable on the small screen. Installing the repo should keep it updated automatically if you have an internet connection. (I connected an old iPhone with an extra SIM card to the Raspberry, but that is another story).

The included `Mimic.xs Skinbackup.zip` in the `skin.mimic.xs` folder is a great set of defaults for this skin. It is also used in the screenshot.

Install the Skin Helper Skinbackup addon via the theme and put the zip in `~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.skin.helper.skinbackup`. You might have to make a backup first and use that filename for the included backup.

I will also add any useful plugins that I adapted for use in my X3 to the repo. Feel free to install them as well or ask any questions. Either here or at Github.

Last edited by timanrebel; 02-13-2018 at 12:19 PM.
timanrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #1742
doublesupersteve

My Ride: E39, E36 w E46 seats
*doublepost oops*
doublesupersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #1743
doublesupersteve

Anyone else have pibus and low OBC ?

Really awesome bit of kit, I just need to work out the kinks with my setup. My car has low OBC which is not on the i-bus.

Sometimes it will get stuck on the reverse camera and all controls stop working. The radio works and can still be controlled but the Pi responds to nothing.The monitor is stuck on and cannot be turned off. This can happen when switching through reverse, or when you press the phone button.

I have the camera turned on by a relay, in reverse it switches the camera on and you see the reverse camera image. In drive I just see black.

Turning car off and on (or leaving car for 8-12 hours) doesnt reset it. If i put my hotspot on and it connects to it, I can get a shell by ssh and reboot it. comes up fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 04:25 AM   #1744
doublesupersteve

fixed that problem, I had wired it wrong... oops

Latest issue is that the pibus will not turn back on after the car is parked for 8 hours or so. There will be a red light on the PiBUS board, if I unplug then plug power back in, it works fine.

any ideas?
Old 02-26-2018, 04:43 AM   #1745
timanrebel

I seem to have some trouble with the Pi not shutting down correctly as well. However, I am running the latest OSMC and not OE/LE. When I get back in the car, the Pi does not boot and if I look in the trunk only the red light of the Pi is on. It is solved by removing and reconnecting the power to the Pibus board.
Anyone else experiencing this?

@PeteAU: If I create a symlink from the OSMC home directory to /storage and put sudo before any call in poweroff.sh, I believe it should work? Are the calls to the GPIO the same for OSMC?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #1746
Makpowa

My Ride: 330CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by timanrebel View Post
I seem to have some trouble with the Pi not shutting down correctly as well. However, I am running the latest OSMC and not OE/LE. When I get back in the car, the Pi does not boot and if I look in the trunk only the red light of the Pi is on. It is solved by removing and reconnecting the power to the Pibus board.

@PeteAU: If I create a symlink from the OSMC home directory to /storage and put sudo before any call in poweroff.sh, I believe it should work? Are the calls to the GPIO the same for OSMC?
Same problem here
Makpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:59 AM   #1747
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
This is from the web page:
Quote:
Note! Some versions of libreELEC (8.0.x) have a GPIO bug that causes PiBUS poweroff to fail and stay powered. It is not yet clear exactly which versions. This can cause battery drain and makes Kodi bootup fail when you next start the car. If you have this problem, here is the current suggested work around, which installs a custom poweroff script that works better:

cd /storage
wget http://pibus.info/sw/pibus-poweroff.sh
chmod +x pibus-poweroff.sh
sync
The alternative, if you're good with a soldering iron, is to place a 100K resistor in R4 (bottom side). Picture: http://pibus.info/IMG_20170927_194017s.jpg
This forces a GPIO down and overcomes any bug in elec/osmc.

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know about OSMC, the script contains *ELEC specific things that would need to be changed in ways I don't know.

Last edited by PeteAU; 02-28-2018 at 03:01 AM.
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #1748
Xollen

My Ride: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesupersteve View Post
fixed that problem, I had wired it wrong... oops

Latest issue is that the pibus will not turn back on after the car is parked for 8 hours or so. There will be a red light on the PiBUS board, if I unplug then plug power back in, it works fine.

any ideas?
got same problem whit osmc or libreelc
Xollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #1749
Xollen

Quote:
I updated my Mimic XS theme to the latest version of Kodi. (Actually I rebuild it)..

Easiest way to install the theme and keep it updated is via my repository on Github: (download zip). Thanks to harryberlin for the format of the repository (and all his other work).

The theme is not yet perfect and I will keep updating it to make it even better readable and usable on the small screen. Installing the repo should keep it updated automatically if you have an internet connection. (I connected an old iPhone with an extra SIM card to the Raspberry, but that is another story).

The included `Mimic.xs Skinbackup.zip` in the `skin.mimic.xs` folder is a great set of defaults for this skin. It is also used in the screenshot.

Install the Skin Helper Skinbackup addon via the theme and put the zip in `~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.skin.helper.skinbackup`. You might have to make a backup first and use that filename for the included backup.

I will also add any useful plugins that I adapted for use in my X3 to the repo. Feel free to install them as well or ask any questions. Either here or at Github.
its for libreelec or osmc?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #1750
timanrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xollen View Post
its for libreelec or osmc?
Don't think it makes a difference whether it is OSMC or LibreElec, it is just a skin.

I tested it with OSMC and with Kodi running on OSX. (Screenshots are from my Mac).
Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #1751
timanrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
I'm afraid I don't know about OSMC, the script contains *ELEC specific things that would need to be changed in ways I don't know.
Let me try this weekend and post an update if I get the code to work!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #1752
doublesupersteve

Quote:
Hi Pete,

Worked great for me, thanks for that. didn't consider doing that as I could have sworn it was working initially.. but all good now I should RTFM more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xollen View Post
got same problem whit osmc or libreelc
the steps pete posted work for me. I have libreelec and it fixed it for me.

Note! Some versions of libreELEC (8.0.x) have a GPIO bug that causes PiBUS poweroff to fail and stay powered. It is not yet clear exactly which versions. This can cause battery drain and makes Kodi bootup fail when you next start the car. If you have this problem, here is the current suggested work around, which installs a custom poweroff script that works better:

cd /storage
sync
Old 03-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #1753
Xollen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesupersteve View Post
Hi Pete,

Worked great for me, thanks for that. didn't consider doing that as I could have sworn it was working initially.. but all good now I should RTFM more often.

the steps pete posted work for me. I have libreelec and it fixed it for me.

cd /storage
sync
what version of libreelec u have?
Old 03-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #1754
doublesupersteve

is there a way to get it to resume its last state (e.g. the last playlist it was on) when you come back to the car?

might give this a go https://github.com/drax68/kodi-resume

Last edited by doublesupersteve; 03-05-2018 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #1755
doublesupersteve

Quote:
to your autostart.sh, for example, if you want 110 C warning:

But I didn't test it yet, so if you do, try 95, drive it and let me know if it works.
Works for me.

I have a steering wheel without the voice button on it, my left and right used to control cd player and controll AM/FM radio but they do not do anything in Kodi. I tested in the text field. let me know if you would like a photo/video
Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #1756
AndyNorwich3

My Ride: E46 M3 CS 09/2005
PeteAU, Are you still producing any PiBus?

Hi Pete,

I have tried sending email application to get on your waiting list for a PiBus (fantastic invention!) as per your website, but have not had any reply.

Could you please confirm if you are still taking pre-orders for the PiBus boards?

I am usually very patient, but don't want to wait unecessarily for something that is not going to come available any longer.

Thanks, Andy.
AndyNorwich3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #1757
AndyNorwich3

PeteAU, Are you still producing any PiBus?

[QUOTE=PeteAU;18196690]This is from the web page:

Hi Pete,

I have tried sending email application to get on your waiting list for a PiBus (fantastic invention!) as per your website, but have not had any reply.

Could you please confirm if you are still taking pre-orders for the PiBus boards?

I am usually very patient, but don't want to wait unecessarily for something that is not going to come available any longer.

Thanks, Andy.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #1758
AndyNorwich3

Quote:

The alternative, if you're good with a soldering iron, is to place a 100K resistor in R4 (bottom side). Picture: http://pibus.info/IMG_20170927_194017s.jpg
This forces a GPIO down and overcomes any bug in elec/osmc.

Sorrry guys for the repeated message.

Hi Pete,

Thanks, Andy.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #1759
knutuh

My Ride: 530D
Pibus software for Pibus 3.0?

Hi, the sound from my my Pibus 4.04 on a RPi 2 is getting worse (yes, my casette is way better ;-)

so I pulled out an old Rpi (1something) and my Pibus 3.0 to test. I installed the latest Libreelect (8.2.4) (yes it runs), the latest Pibus, removed the -v4 option, but Pibus just dumps core. Do I need to downgrade something? or?

KnutUH (E39 530D, in Oslo, Norway)
knutuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #1760
knutuh

My Ride: 530D
Nevermind, I looked backwards into pibus.info/sw/ and pibus-20170416.zip runs on my old Pi. Testing ahead!

KnutUH
knutuh is offline   Reply With Quote