I want Iphone Music - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
kbeaud

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Exclamation I want Iphone Music

Hi, I have an 02' 330Ci that was, unfortunately, manufactured prior to satellite being installed in the car. So, I still want to hook my phone up to play music. I've heard of the Bavarian sound, but I don't want to shell out upwards of $300 for the Bluetooth one and what not. Someone told me it might be possible to get a regular Bluetooth set-up (since the car has set-up for BMW Phone) and it could play music. Is this true or is my only way to shell out the money?
kbeaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Depending on the build date you can possibly add an Aux cord to the head unit.

If the head unit is too old, you can update your head unit with a newer model used unit from ebay or Craigslist.

Check my comments in this post - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...903&highlight=

Also consider this - http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-...AC+SNI-1%2F3.5

Often needed so there is not buzzing or hum when the phone is connected to a power source if you use an Aux cable directly to the phone.

Also consider this slightly more advanced Kinvo unit - http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC455-...0_SR127%2C160_

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
Sakebomb

My Ride: 330ci
www.gromaudio.com/
Sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
kbeaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Depending on the build date you can possibly add an Aux cord to the head unit.

If the head unit is too old, you can update your head unit with a newer model used unit from ebay or Craigslist.

Check my comments in this post - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...903&highlight=

Also consider this - http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-...AC+SNI-1%2F3.5

Often needed so there is not buzzing or hum when the phone is connected to a power source if you use an Aux cable directly to the phone.

Also consider this slightly more advanced Kinvo unit - http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC455-...0_SR127%2C160_
Have you used the Kinivo system of know of anyone who has? If it works well with the E46 it looks fairly cheap, simple, and effective.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
kgvickers

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I've got the Kinivo in three family BMWs. All three have worked great for nearly two years:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...=kinivo+btc450

But you need to determine whether your radio will accept the standard OEM aux-input. Read this:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...y-MP3-Data-CDs!

'03 330i ZHP, Mine
'04 330i, Wifeypoo
'98 328i, Son
kgvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
nallman

My Ride: 2004 330xi
I might get rid of my Bavsound Soundplicity III. Name a price if you're interested.

nallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
captkhaos

My Ride: '02 330Ci
I too have an '02 330Ci and use the DICE Media Bridge. I'm happy and the phone connection is great. Maybe I'm out of touch but it seems great to me. Send me a PM and we can talk about it. I'd buy it again.
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeaud View Post
Have you used the Kinivo system of know of anyone who has? If it works well with the E46 it looks fairly cheap, simple, and effective.
I run 2 of these in 2 different cars with Aux inputs. One a VW and one a Chevy.

One car I put the 1/8" female jack in the dash and had the 90 degree 1/8" plug from the Kinvo unit come out from a trim panel so anyone riding in the car that was not connected to BT could just pull the 90 degree plug out and use a cable directly to the Aux input. I also put the PAC Ground Loop Isolator in this configuration in case a direct cable connection is used while the phone is connected to power.

The Kinvo unit also has a microphone for hands free speaker phone with the caller audio being sent through the car speakers.

I also recall that Waze audio is routed to the BT connection, but I may need to confirm this 100%.

There may be other similar items like the Kinvo, but I like they way they operate and they typically auto connect which some other devices do not do.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Last edited by jfoj; 10-06-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
veektor

My Ride: '02 325xi, '01 525i
Someone suggested this not long ago: http://quidzel.com/aux/

For $50 you get a kit that fools your CD player into thinking there is a CD Changer, which just plays from your audio input. I haven't sprung up for it yet, but this is the solution I'm leaning toward.
veektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #10
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
I just installed the Quidzel solution last night. Sounds great, shows up as AUX 1 on the headunit. Easy install. You need the PAC 3.5mm noise filter to go along with it however. It's another $8 or so. Doesn't detract from the signal quality in any perceptible way, yet mitigates the hum one would experience if charging the source whilst also playing back from said source.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
jfoj
OEM ///Member

hitby,

So your profile shows you have a 2002 model. The Quidzel site is a bit unclear.

They indicate Pre-2002 product and a 2003+ cable.

Since your car as a 2002, did you use the Pre-2002 product that cost 49.99?

I think the Quidzel site description may be incorrect and should have stated a product for Pre-2003 and 2003+ models??

I have a friend that has a 2002 model that he wants to install an Aux input in.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 10-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #12
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkhaos View Post
I too have an '02 330Ci and use the DICE Media Bridge. I'm happy and the phone connection is great. Maybe I'm out of touch but it seems great to me. Send me a PM and we can talk about it. I'd buy it again.
I also have the Dice MediaBridge in both my E39 and E46. They work well, no problems.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
The headunit in my car is SW 41 HW 43, manuf date of May 2002. The car itself has a manuf date of 7/2002. The start date for HUs that can be jerrywired with scrap PC motherboard jumpers is Sept of 2002.

So if your car is a 2002 model, you need to be sure of the manuf date. Has to be at least Sept of '02. But then really, you need to pull the HU out and check the manuf date of the HU itself to make sure it is at least 9/02 or later. SW & HW #s are meaningless. If you have a HU with a manufacture date of 9/02, then you can use scrap wire and rig yourself an aux input without having to trick the HU into thinking you have a CD changer connected like I did. All model years subsequent to 02 are fine for jerrywiring.

I ordered the pre '02 kit.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #14
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
If you want bluetooth, then you can try what I did

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=961028

WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
I assume that cars made after 09/2002 are considered 2003 models. Go here for more info on the BT option.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...y_Information:

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #16
Leja145

My Ride: 2003 330i msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
hitby,

So your profile shows you have a 2002 model. The Quidzel site is a bit unclear.

They indicate Pre-2002 product and a 2003+ cable.

Since your car as a 2002, did you use the Pre-2002 product that cost 49.99?

I think the Quidzel site description may be incorrect and should have stated a product for Pre-2003 and 2003+ models??

I have a friend that has a 2002 model that he wants to install an Aux input in.

I have a 2003 330i and am using quidzel's bluetooth kit. It works great!
Leja145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
kbeaud

I've looked at a bunch of the options posted (Thanks btw!) and I'm trying to stay away from quidzel because I'm a bit ocd about wires not sticking out of my cd changer. So, the mediabridge looks like a good solution. However I want to make sure I'm looking at the right one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003IN...TsL&ref=plSrch

Also for those of you who have the mediabridge, how hard was it to install?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #18
lllRazorlll

My Ride: Accord Coupe
Get one of the Dice units. No need to make sure your headunit is updated, no wires sticking out of the front, etc. Route the wire from the CD changer in the trunk to the cigarette ash tray in the front and attach a bluetooth receiver onto it. Voila, anyone can play music now while the setup is clean and no one will ever know.

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #19
Leja145

My Ride: 2003 330i msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeaud View Post
I've looked at a bunch of the options posted (Thanks btw!) and I'm trying to stay away from quidzel because I'm a bit ocd about wires not sticking out of my cd changer. So, the mediabridge looks like a good solution. However I want to make sure I'm looking at the right one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003IN...TsL&ref=plSrch

Also for those of you who have the mediabridge, how hard was it to install?

Just email quidzel to see if your model is compatible with the bluetooth adapter.
Leja145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #20
rsyed07

My Ride: E92 335is, E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
I just installed the Quidzel solution last night. Sounds great, shows up as AUX 1 on the headunit. Easy install. You need the PAC 3.5mm noise filter to go along with it however. It's another $8 or so. Doesn't detract from the signal quality in any perceptible way, yet mitigates the hum one would experience if charging the source whilst also playing back from said source.

I noticed that one day when I was charging and playing at the same time. I just don't do both together. Sound quality is crystal clear.

330i ZSP | ZPP | ZCW

rsyed07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, audio upgrade, iphone, music