Red light ticket advice - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
LeMansteve

My Ride: sold - '04 330i
Red light ticket advice

Need tips on how to fight or reduce a traffic ticket.

I was approaching a semi truck that was turning left at a traffic light. I saw the light turn yellow and tried to make it, but the light turned red just before I entered the intersection. A cop was sitting right there at the cross street and had the perfect view of it all.

It was daytime, traffic was moderate and roads were clear and dry. There was no oncoming traffic. 100% poor judgement on my part.

Ticket is ~$200. I haven't had a ticket of any kind in the last 10 years or more. What's the best strategy to fight, reduce, defer or have the ticket taken away?
Old 10-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Why not just pay the ticket and move on with your life?
If you did the crime, you can pay the fine.
Pick your battles.
ed17331 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Usually just making the effort to show up to court is enough to get a ticket reduced, pay the court fee and be done with it, either way the state/town gets their money, even better fir you if the cop doesn't show up which often happens.

I haven't had a ticket in a very long time myself (knock on wood) but good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
ed17331

Why should he miss work (or use up personal time) to go to court for something he admits he did when the ticket is only $200? How does he value his time?
I would just pay the ticket and thank the lord that no accident or injury resulted from my negligence.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
Why should he miss work (or use up personal time) to go to court for something he admits he did when the ticket is only $200? How does he value his time?
I would just pay the ticket and thank the lord that no accident or injury resulted from my negligence.
Because I am sure his insurance will go up with the ticket on his record and in the end it will cost way more than $200.

Ed serious question, are you like 14-15 years old???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
ed17331

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Because I am sure his insurance will go up with the ticket on his record and in the end it will cost way more than $200.

Why are you so sure?
When I got a ticket, my insurance rates did not change at all. Geico.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
bgsmith

Quote:
Why are you so sure?
When I got a ticket, my insurance rates did not change at all. Geico.
Most states a moving violation = points on your license = increase in insurance.

Have you ever been outside of East Bumble**** PA???

Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #8
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Most states a moving violation = points on your license = increase in insurance.

Have you ever been outside of East Bumble**** PA???

If you pay the full vig insurance rates, one ticket or claim will usually not affect you.

I don’t know what state OP is in but don’t they have Ticket Clinic or similar outfit there?

It will usually cost close to the price of the ticket but no points and no school.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
ed failed to develop the ability to look at things from multiple perspectives before forming an opinion. READY FIRE AIM!

Show up in court and ask if you can take traffic school or whatever it is if you're set on not paying it. Or just pay the $200. I got a 20+ over in a construction zone last summer and my rates didn't change at all. IDK why. It wasn't worth the time to drive a couple hours to go to court and then have to take another day off for a class.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-11-2019 at 04:05 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #10
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
ed failed to develop the ability to look at things from multiple perspectives before forming an opinion. READY FIRE AIM!

Show up in court and ask if you can take traffic school or whatever it is if you're set on not paying it. Or just pay the $200. I got a 20+ over in a construction zone last summer and my rates didn't change at all. IDK why. It wasn't worth the time to drive a couple hours to go to court and then have to take another day off for a class.
Yeah I guess it all depends on what it will do to his insurance, I have lived in NJ, MA and NH. Rates in NJ and MA are insane and in NH you don't even need insurance and if you do get it, it is dirt cheap.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
ed17331

Quote:

It’s funny how you insult me for not looking at all perspectives, then end up giving the same advice that I did.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #12
WDE46

Red light ticket advice

Quote:
It’s funny how you insult me for not looking at all perspectives, then end up giving the same advice that I did.

I gave multiple options that weren’t absolutes. You acted like anyone giving other advice was absolutely wrong.

I would’ve gone to court if the ticket was local.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by WDE46; 10-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
ed17331

Quote:
I gave multiple options that weren’t absolutes. You acted like anyone giving other advice was absolutely wrong.

I would’ve gone to court if the ticket was local.

I reject your characterization of my posts (#2 and #4).

In post #2, I asked a question, then I gave some simple advice.

In post #4, I asked two questions, and then I simply stated what I would do.

By saying that I “acted like anyone giving other advice was absolutely wrong” you are simply fabricating an attitude that was not there.

But I can understand why an arrogant prick like yourself sees everyone else as an arrogant prick.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:13 AM   #14
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
I reject your characterization of my posts (#2 and #4).

In post #2, I asked a question, then I gave some simple advice.

In post #4, I asked two questions, and then I simply stated what I would do.

By saying that I “acted like anyone giving other advice was absolutely wrong” you are simply fabricating an attitude that was not there.

But I can understand why an arrogant prick like yourself sees everyone else as an arrogant prick.

He is like walking, talking stucco and sandpaper.

M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
LeMansteve

My Ride: sold - '04 330i
The courthouse isn’t really out of my way. If I can spend 1 hour in court to cut the ticket down or throw it out, why not?

I’m salary so my time during the day is “fixed”.

I have no idea how/if my insurance will be affected.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #16
WDE46

It’s gonna be more than an hour. And it’ll probably involve traffic school. You’d need a lawyer to get it thrown out.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #17
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
trial by declaration you have nothing to lose and you can get lucky.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info:

S54 VANOS DIY Video:
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #18
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
https://thelawdictionary.org/article...camera-ticket/

SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
Quote:
Usually just making the effort to show up to court is enough to get a ticket reduced, pay the court fee and be done with it, either way the state/town gets their money, even better fir you if the cop doesn't show up which often happens.

I haven't had a ticket in a very long time myself (knock on wood) but good luck.
I have done this in the most interesting of circumstances for moving violations and just about every single one was totally tossed out, only had to pay a reduced fee for one of them. This has worked on maybe my last 3, now so much time has gone by, I would likely show up if the ticket was not that bad and show how clean my record has been for the past 10+ years and get it tossed out. It ALWAYS keeps money into your pocket to go in my experience.

Quote:
This is moronic talk from someone who sounds like they are 14 and has no idea how car insurance works.

Quote:

Yes, Apparently he is only 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
The courthouse isn't really out of my way. If I can spend 1 hour in court to cut the ticket down or throw it out, why not?

I'm salary so my time during the day is "fixed".

I have no idea how/if my insurance will be affected.
In an interesting twist of fate, it turns out Ed is PARTIALLY right. According to this Pennsylvania table, but let's not forget that he had no clue a table like this even existed in the first place. There's not much he can do in terms of a moving violation (AS LONG AS HE IS STARTING AT ZERO) that will increase his insurance in a one-time incident.

That being said Ed, make sure you don't tailgate somebody, make an illegal U turn, then speed off, exceeding the limit by a mere 6-10 mph, because then it will REALLY BITE YOU IN THE ASS.

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

Last edited by trizzuth; 10-15-2019 at 02:58 PM.
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #20
ed17331

^LOL
I’m just sharing my opinions bro - just like everyone else here.