Best way to cook a ribeye steak, in the city? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Agreed. A good steak never needs to be buried under flavor enhancements.
Ehh . . . I say eat it with whatever flavors taste good to you. We buy a half a beef every so often - grass fed, grain finished, dry aged local stuff. So we usually have a freezer full of different cuts of steaks and roasts.

Usually with a good steak I'll add salt and pepper and olive oil (mostly just to prevent sticking to a hot grill) and then grill over charcoal to 125 degrees and eat it straight up.

Other times I'll prepare dipping sauces - teriyaki, Jamaican jerk, chimchurri, bbq/sriracha, demi glace with garlic . . whatever I'm in the mood for.

I don't believe in marinating steaks . . so you're right to that extent. A good roast tastes better with a good marinade though. I prefer mustard, butter and pepper, left overnight in the fridge uncovered.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #22
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
I don't believe in marinating steaks . . so you're right to that extent. A good roast tastes better with a good marinade though. I prefer mustard, butter and pepper, left overnight in the fridge uncovered.
Same here, unless you are talking flank. I've done a lime/garlic/cilantro marinade before for a couple hours, and it came out really good. But its a very fibrous cut so the marinade is almost needed.

Strips, ribeyes, tenderloins, need nothing besides being brought up to room temp and liberal seasoning before cooking on very high heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #23
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Stirred not shaken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #24
GasKing
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 18 Tahoe RST
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Same here, unless you are talking flank. I've done a lime/garlic/cilantro marinade before for a couple hours, and it came out really good. But its a very fibrous cut so the marinade is almost needed.

Strips, ribeyes, tenderloins, need nothing besides being brought up to room temp and liberal seasoning before cooking on very high heat.
Flank is the only cut ill marinate. Im honestly stuck on Ribeyes, no other cut does it for me so whenever I eat steak its a rib eye with the family. Its my whole families fav cut. Occasionally ill pickup a skirt steak when I see one with nice marbling, thats the appetizer for everyone while the ribeye is cooking

Last edited by GasKing; 10-05-2016 at 01:51 PM.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:18 AM   #25
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: E46 Dinan 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Flank is the only cut ill marinate. Im honestly stuck on Ribeyes, no other cut does it for me so whenever I eat steak its a rib eye with the family. Its my whole families fav cut. Occasionally ill pickup a skirt steak when I see one with nice marbling, thats the appetizer for everyone while the ribeye is cooking
that snack steak is always needed

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #26
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
Use a diff oil too.... The olive oil has a lower smoke point so it will burn when you sear or put on a hot grill and could develope the burnt oil taste. I like grapeseed a lot. Its very neutral in flavor and can take a lot of heat

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #27
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
that snack steak is always needed
Thats what im saying my dude. You have to season your stomach with a little snack steak before the entree steak.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #28
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
Use a diff oil too.... The olive oil has a lower smoke point so it will burn when you sear or put on a hot grill and could develope the burnt oil taste. I like grapeseed a lot. Its very neutral in flavor and can take a lot of heat
I really need to brush up on cooking a steak in a pan, even in the winter I use my girl.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #29
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I really need to brush up on cooking a steak in a pan, even in the winter I use my girl.
The only drawback is that the house stinks like a steakhouse for a day or two. What helps is if you can pan sear/broil at the same time. I'll get the broiler on high and heat up a cast iron pan on high. Put the steak on, wait 3 or so minutes until its got some good color on that side, flip it then put it under the broiler. This helps a bit with the smoke from cooking it.

After a few minute i'll flip it again for a little, then again, then usually by then its good to rest. I'll make a ring out of aluminum foil and prop the steak on that (right in the pan) and call it a day. Season after a few min and you are good to go.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #30
iwannagofast

You could also put it on a rack in the oven at 140 for 45 to 60 min.... pull it out and let it rest 15 min then just brush a little ghee or clarified butter on it and sear it for a min or two in a cast iron. Will be mich less smoke and steakhouse smell that way

Old 11-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #31
JJR4884

ahhh the inside method reverse sear

Old 11-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #32
iwannagofast

Yea I figure it may help with the smoke and smell in a smaller cooking space and its kinda fool proof and still great tasting results you wont develope that thick crust and sear though

Old 04-09-2018, 03:35 AM   #33
fan

My Ride: BMW 218i
I typically marinade my steak with bicarbonate of soda, salt, pepper and a little olive oil for about an hour before throwing it into a hot skillet or cast iron pan, for about slightly over 2 minutes for each side (longer depending on your cut). Then I'll throw my butter, rosemary, and thyme in and bathe the steak in it, take it out and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before serving.

Last edited by fan; 04-09-2018 at 03:40 AM.
fan is offline   Reply With Quote