AVIN Avant 4 - Installation & First review - Page 19 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #361
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Avin will give all sorts of excuses instead of admitting any defects or software bugs in their products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #362
skylink

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
I'll give that a shot! Avin thinks it might be my battery being old, so I have some possible solutions
Well if the battery can start the car im sure it can fire up a little head unit, my one E46 is a little like a garage queen with only 30,000 miles on the clock like brand new and sometimes I forget to change over the smart charger from the E30 back to the E46 and if the voltage is a little under the car will not turn over but the Avant 4 in that one will still work as normal.

So im not so sure about the battery story. and both my E46's have the PX6
skylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #363
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
Avin will give all sorts of excuses instead of admitting any defects or software bugs in their products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylink View Post
Quote:
I'll give that a shot! Avin thinks it might be my battery being old, so I have some possible solutions
Well if the battery can start the car im sure it can fire up a little head unit, my one E46 is a little like a garage queen with only 30,000 miles on the clock like brand new and sometimes I forget to change over the smart charger from the E30 back to the E46 and if the voltage is a little under the car will not turn over but the Avant 4 in that one will still work as normal.

So im not so sure about the battery story. and both my E46's have the PX6
Made sure the battery was fully charged since I always leave it on a trickle charger and had the same issue. Of course Avin didn't get back to me when I told them this. I'm going to try to reset the unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:06 AM   #364
skylink

Quote:
Made sure the battery was fully charged since I always leave it on a trickle charger and had the same issue. Of course Avin didn't get back to me when I told them this. I'm going to try to reset the unit.
You right mate they suck at getting back to you however I still believe its the best available at this point in time, give that a bash otherwise send it back for a new one, as I said I have 2 units and they are pretty much a pleasure to use.

And they not too far away from you via UPS or whoever. Just a little south of LA
Old 10-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #365
Emartin1984

My Ride: 2002 325Ci Convert
I am ready to pull the trigger on one. I just keep getting stuck on the options. After reading comments i hear the cameras are ****. Can I buy a better one from somewhere else? How is the mic? Better to buy one somewhere else? Any suggestions? Here is what I got on the order page.

AVANT 4
PX6 (Android 9.0) +$49.99
IBUS USB adapter $89.99
Advanced DSP Chipset with 15 EQ Band $29.99
Wireless CarPlay $99.99
Total price. $569.95
Emartin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:58 PM   #366
skylink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emartin1984 View Post
I am ready to pull the trigger on one. I just keep getting stuck on the options. After reading comments i hear the cameras are ****. Can I buy a better one from somewhere else? How is the mic? Better to buy one somewhere else? Any suggestions? Here is what I got on the order page.

AVANT 4
IBUS USB adapter $89.99
Wireless CarPlay $99.99
Total price. $569.95
The best I know for Camera will cost more than the Avin head unit Blackvue DR900S but this one may be better than the Avin one: https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Record...99PT4ZX34HFCYQ
Rear cam on the E46 maybe do what Overboost done in the earlier posts:
https://www.amazon.com/NATIKA-Backup...GPV8WWP3WE1XC4

Something along these lines without silly led's.

Then I would say you good to go.

Last edited by skylink; 10-20-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #367
VAMZ

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via Yahoo to VAMZ
Just to double check, how is audio quality? Saw some reports where people had issues.

I have the HK system in my car and am happy with it. Will Avin 4 w DSP help improve?
VAMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #368
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMZ View Post
Just to double check, how is audio quality? Saw some reports where people had issues.

I have the HK system in my car and am happy with it. Will Avin 4 w DSP help improve?
I have the Avin Avant-4 system in my X5 with factory DSP and the sound quality was vastly improved. Couldn't be happier with mine.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #369
Emartin1984

My Ride: 2002 325Ci Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylink View Post
The best I know for Camera will cost more than the Avin head unit Blackvue DR900S but this one may be better than the Avin one: https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Record...99PT4ZX34HFCYQ
Rear cam on the E46 maybe do what Overboost done in the earlier posts:
https://www.amazon.com/NATIKA-Backup...GPV8WWP3WE1XC4

Something along these lines without silly led's.

Then I would say you good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions! That Blackvue looks sick as f#%Q!
Emartin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #370
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2009 535x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emartin1984 View Post
I am ready to pull the trigger on one.

AVANT 4
IBUS USB adapter $89.99
Wireless CarPlay $99.99
Total price. $569.95
I just pulled the trigger on this one on the 18th. Still waiting for it to ship. Sure hope it works as advertised because this is a lot of money just so I can see Siri in my car... (amongst other features of course)
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #371
doukas007

My Ride: e46 320 coupe
Year: 2001
Model: 320ci
Transmission: manual
does anyone know where to buy the headunit in europe ?
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #372
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
One of our members also located in Greece had to go through AVINUSA here in the states. That's the only distributor I know of worldwide.

No Fear

Old 10-27-2019, 03:33 AM   #373
SLracer

My Ride: '06 330Ci ZHP
I've seen a few of the aftermarket reverse cam recommendations, any recs for the wireless transmitter? Anyone have issues with wireless reliability versus just running wires?
SLracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:55 AM   #374
skylink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLracer View Post
I've seen a few of the aftermarket reverse cam recommendations, any recs for the wireless transmitter? Anyone have issues with wireless reliability versus just running wires?
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1263799

He seems very happy now
Old 11-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #375
TR4G-

My Ride: E36/8 3.0i, E46 ZHP
Can someone explain to me how the DVR system works for the front and rear cameras? Is this a chipset within the unit you get if you opt for it or do all units come with this and you are just opting for the software to make it functional.

Seems like a neat feature. I'm looking to get this unit with all the bells and whistles but prefer to source my own parts in the areas I can (ex: the microphone, the cameras)

TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #376
nleeumd
OG Fanatic

My Ride: 2006 M3
Year: 2006
Model: M3
Transmission: Manual
Send a message via AIM to nleeumd
I believe its either the camera itself or the software you download from Adroid. Any microphone will work, any rear camera will work as long as it has an RCA connection. The front DVR camera needs to be USB connected for the ADAS warning to work; however, I was able to get the 70mai dashcam to work from the headhunt with the proripetary app
'12 Porsche 991.1S

Retired (2001 - 2019)
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera
nleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #377
TR4G-

My Ride: E36/8 3.0i, E46 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleeumd View Post
I believe its either the camera itself or the software you download from Adroid. Any microphone will work, any rear camera will work as long as it has an RCA connection. The front DVR camera needs to be USB connected for the ADAS warning to work; however, I was able to get the 70mai dashcam to work from the headhunt with the proripetary app

Can you elaborate on which camera you went with? And Iím assuming that means you did NOT check the add on box for DVR?

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics mobile app

TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #378
MrAdventure

My Ride: '99 Z3, '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Can you elaborate on which camera you went with? And Iím assuming that means you did NOT check the add on box for DVR?
I installed the Avant 4 in place of my previous Eonon. I got a forward USB camera, and a backup camera, which I never installed. The front one was only SD, but it worked. I plugged it into the USB port on the Avant4 and it works perfectly, so I guess the Avant is good at generic USB cameras.

I have two functional questions for you other Avant users.

About 1 minute or less from initially starting up the car, the playback volume drops for about 10-15 seconds, then resumes. This is NOT the backup volume reduction - that works when it's supposed to, and this will happen, regardless of me driving forward or being stopped, it's always within a minute of powering the unit up.

The second question is about the Brightness levels. In the settings, I see a regular brightness setting, and it works reasonably well. There's also a night brightness setting that has absolutely no effect on the brightness level, regardless of when I adjust it. 10 PM last night, sliding it to the top and back to 0 showed no change. I could not find any other setting that would say "use night brightness at these hours" or anything like that with a light sensor. Is this just a vestigial setting? I ask because the screen is too bright at night, and I can't dim it any lower. Anyone know how to change that, or is that a 'feature' for the system? It's running Droid 8 OS, not the latest version (9?).
MrAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #379
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post
I have two functional questions for you other Avant users.

About 1 minute or less from initially starting up the car, the playback volume drops for about 10-15 seconds, then resumes. This is NOT the backup volume reduction - that works when it's supposed to, and this will happen, regardless of me driving forward or being stopped, it's always within a minute of powering the unit up.
I would check your "default boot volume" in factory settings (password: 126), in the Others tab.

And you may set " Default Power Status" to " Memory the status of last".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post
The second question is about the Brightness levels. In the settings, I see a regular brightness setting, and it works reasonably well. There's also a night brightness setting that has absolutely no effect on the brightness level, regardless of when I adjust it. 10 PM last night, sliding it to the top and back to 0 showed no change. I could not find any other setting that would say "use night brightness at these hours" or anything like that with a light sensor. Is this just a vestigial setting? I ask because the screen is too bright at night, and I can't dim it any lower. Anyone know how to change that, or is that a 'feature' for the system? It's running Droid 8 OS, not the latest version (9?).
Some have complained about the brightness at night but I guess my eyes are horrible. It doesn't bother me at all

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 11-07-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 AM   #380
paraklas

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
You'll need to buy it from their website (US), item will be shipped from Hong Kong using DHL express. They do declare it as sample/low value, assuming for lower import tax.

paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote