***The Official Jeep Thread*** - Page 32 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #621
lexpression

My Ride: '06 Lexus GX470
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
What's the 911 beside it? Is that a project 964?
993 GT2 tribute build w/a bored out 4.0
Old 10-25-2019, 09:26 AM   #622
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Got those CCV elbows and grommets installed quite easily yesterday. You just have to be clever about how you pull the old ones out. I broke the front elbow to intake tube but I have one coming in next week. 3M electrical tape saved the day there.

Got a lot of work lined up for the weekend. I'm not sure if I'll get to all of it PLUS my GF's CVT fluid change on her car. In order of planned execution:

1. Rear Upper Control arm and ball joint
2. Oil change
3. ATF fluid and filter change
4. Transfer case fluid
5. Diff fluid

Also needs a rough alignment. I can do steering on center with no fixturing. Toe I think is OK but I'd like to check it. I guess I'll get toe plates since that's cheaper than one alignment at a shop (apparently a terrible value for solid axle cars).

Anyway that's it for the WJ for quite a while. I'm in maintenance about $1000 now so...yeah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-29-2019 at 08:43 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #623
WDE46

Only got to the oil change this weekened due to a massive hangover on Sunday from a Halloween party. Did the GF's brakes on Saturday.

I did the rear upper control arm, ball joint, and end links last night. It was a huge bitch only made possible by the Dewalt impact and 21 mm ratcheting box wrench. Really made me want a low profile air impact. It would've gone soooo much faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #624
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Are you raising the Jeep up to change the control arms? Do you know if you even need to do that to change control arms? I need to swap over to adjustables for my front side and I'm wavering over doing it myself vs getting it done.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #625
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Anyone want to come over and replace everything on my truck a la WDE's Jeep??? I don't trust myself to do anything as its my daily driver and I am really good at breaking things.

bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #626
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Are you raising the Jeep up to change the control arms? Do you know if you even need to do that to change control arms? I need to swap over to adjustables for my front side and I'm wavering over doing it myself vs getting it done.
Yeah I raised it a bit but not that much overall since the suspension travel is so much. Once I let the axle drop all the way, the wheels couldn't be put back on without raising it back up a bit.

The WJ rear upper control arm is one big piece that looks like a boomerang. The bushings were shot and the ball joint was pretty floppy though didn't have play. My endlinks were toast as well.

I'm not sure how the Wrangler suspension is designed. If it's two separate arms, then it should be pretty easy. If there is no serious rust it'll be easy too.

This is what I was dealing with (not my pic). The ball joint was so rusted that I stood no chance to get the top nut off by hand and I couldn't fit my impact. So what you see are three bolts in the top of the diff that are torqued to 100 ft*lbs and have blue loctite from the factory. So you have to double up on a ratcheting box end wrench and go at it. Takes forever and it's a workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Anyone want to come over and replace everything on my truck a la WDE's Jeep??? I don't trust myself to do anything as its my daily driver and I am really good at breaking things.
Shocks and such are easy. Go at it. Though I don't have the pressure of being required to complete a project in a day since I have two cars. I do not miss that pressure I had with my E46.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-29-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #627
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Nothing like starting a project with the peace of mind that comes with a backup car in the garage. My wife has a 60 mile per day commute, I used to start on her car on Friday night and pray to the car gods that I would be done by Monday morning. Missed the deadline more than once when issues popped up. With 5 cars in the garage now, it is no big deal.

aarondb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #628
SamDoe1

#firstworldproblems
Old 10-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #629
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Shocks and such are easy. Go at it. Though I don't have the pressure of being required to complete a project in a day since I have two cars. I do not miss that pressure I had with my E46.
My suspension is all relatively new, its everything else I want replaced, lots of squeaks and creaks coming from my truck, but then again it is 13+ years old.

bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #630
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
Nothing like starting a project with the peace of mind that comes with a backup car in the garage. My wife has a 60 mile per day commute, I used to start on her car on Friday night and pray to the car gods that I would be done by Monday morning. Missed the deadline more than once when issues popped up. With 5 cars in the garage now, it is no big deal.

I did almost get boned this week since my E82 battery crapped out on me and I was going to start work on the WJ after I got home. Of course I could’ve gone and gotten a battery with the GFs car or Uber but still...almost bad timing.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 10-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #631
SamDoe1

I was in a similar state when I had the S2000 in the winter. If anything ever went wrong, I'd be out a third car to drive in the event I had to since the S2k was stored. Now that I have the Jeep, which doesn't GAF about seasons, it's not a huge deal anymore. I took rental car coverage off of my insurance as a result.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #632
WDE46

Quote:
I was in a similar state when I had the S2000 in the winter. If anything ever went wrong, I'd be out a third car to drive in the event I had to since the S2k was stored. Now that I have the Jeep, which doesn't GAF about seasons, it's not a huge deal anymore. I took rental car coverage off of my insurance as a result.
I can't remember if I kept it. It's like $1/mo though. I think I kept it because I didn't want to end up dailying the E82 again in the event I lose the Jeep or Mazda. Did you know $0 comprehensive deductible is only a few dollars a month more than $250 or $500?

Last edited by WDE46; 10-30-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #633
SamDoe1

Quote:
I can't remember if I kept it. It's like $1/mo though. I think I kept it because I didn't want to end up dailying the E82 again in the event I lose the Jeep or Mazda. Did you know $0 comprehensive deductible is only a few dollars a month more than $250 or $500?
I roll with the $1k deductible which is a LOT cheaper than the low deductible plans. My guess is that I've more than made up the difference for the claims I've put in over time.

All this also depends on where you live and what you drive too so there's that. Also, top tip, some insurance companies don't discern that a Golf R is different from a Golf but they qualify the GTI as a different model.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #634
WDE46

Quote:
I roll with the $1k deductible which is a LOT cheaper than the low deductible plans. My guess is that I've more than made up the difference for the claims I've put in over time.

All this also depends on where you live and what you drive too so there's that. Also, top tip, some insurance companies don't discern that a Golf R is different from a Golf but they qualify the GTI as a different model.
I think I have $1K collision, but comprehensive at $1000 is almost useless. Even $250 you're only getting like $200 back from a glass replacement.

The Jeep gets liability only and I was somewhat close to regretting that on the way home for lunch. Rain and an open diff with zero traction control plus meh highway all seasons and a right hand turn out is not a good combo.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-30-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #635
SamDoe1

Quote:
I think I have $1K collision, but comprehensive at $1000 is almost useless. Even $250 you're only getting like $200 back from a glass replacement.

The Jeep gets liability only and I was somewhat close to regretting that on the way home for lunch. Rain and an open diff with zero traction control plus meh highway all seasons and a right hand turn out is not a good combo.
I do $1k comp with a $0 glass deductible.

I do full coverage on everything I have.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #636
WDE46

Oh see the glass isn't an option with StateFarm I think

Full coverage just isn't worth it for a car worth maybe $4000. If I wreck it, then that's that.

Oh and god damn Jeep forums are shitholes. Good information is REALLY hard to come by. I refuse to register on any because I'll just go crazy. Tons of complete bullshit reasoning for selecting parts and doing various things. I mean, that exists on the BMW forums, but not nearly as much and SOMEONE in a thread will know their ****. This is like reading an astrologist forum.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-30-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #637
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
^^ HAHA that's humorous.

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #638
lexpression

My Ride: '06 Lexus GX470
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
Quote:
Oh and god damn Jeep forums are shitholes. Good information is REALLY hard to come by. I refuse to register on any because I'll just go crazy. Tons of complete bullshit reasoning for selecting parts and doing various things. I mean, that exists on the BMW forums, but not nearly as much and SOMEONE in a thread will know their ****. This is like reading an astrologist forum.
That sucks. I absolutely despise FB, but there is a GXOR group on there that is a wealth of knowledge and extremely helpful, I imagine there's something similar for Jeeps but being that there's so many more Jeep owners, I can see how'd there also be a lot more BS to have to sort through.

Bit OT, but has anyone had any experience with those DIY headlight restoration kits? Upgraded my low/highs and fog lights over the weekend and now I really need to clean/polish my lenses. I know it's important to make sure the kit includes a UV wipe/headlight coating, but there are so many different kits out there (3M, Mothers, Meguiars, Sylvania, etc.) I'm not sure which one to go with.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #639
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpression View Post
That sucks. I absolutely despise FB, but there is a GXOR group on there that is a wealth of knowledge and extremely helpful, I imagine there's something similar for Jeeps but being that there's so many more Jeep owners, I can see how'd there also be a lot more BS to have to sort through.

Bit OT, but has anyone had any experience with those DIY headlight restoration kits? Upgraded my low/highs and fog lights over the weekend and now I really need to clean/polish my lenses. I know it's important to make sure the kit includes a UV wipe/headlight coating, but there are so many different kits out there (3M, Mothers, Meguiars, Sylvania, etc.) I'm not sure which one to go with.
Headlight restoration is really easy. The 3M one is known to be extremely good. I think it includes sandpaper and a polish compound which is needed for very dull lights. Sometimes you can just get away with compound. Unfortunately, the UV coating (really it's just a regular sealant) isn't nearly as good as a clear coat.

I do 1200 grit wet sandpaper and then Spraymax 2K Clearcoat. Sometimes you have to go down to lower grits to get everything but you must get back up to 1200 before you clear coat. This is the most permanent and best looking way. You must get a respirator rated for organic vapors to use the 2K clearcoat (it contains isocyanates). If you do it in your garage, I'd keep the door cracked with a fan blowing out. I'd also recommend you send the wife and kids out for the next few hours.

So basically your process is

1. Sand completely to 1200 grit (rinse and dry to see unsanded areas, sand different grits perpendicular to the last grit so you can see when you're done with that grit). Don't forget to protect your paint with tape or remove the headlight completely.

2. Rinse and Dry completely

3. Wipe with IPA and a lint free cloth

4. Masking tape appropriately

5. Spray first coat of 2K clear evenly. Wait the amount of time on the can before a second coat. If it sags you can sand it after a certain amount of time if needed (also on can).

6. spray at least a second coat if not a third as well.

7. Polish as needed

I thought I messed up on my E46 when the clear dried with a cracked appearance but I just sanded it out and did another light one. That one had slight orange peel so I sanded lightly with 1200 and polished that out with Meg's 105. Perfect.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-31-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #640
SamDoe1

Quote:
Oh see the glass isn't an option with StateFarm I think

Full coverage just isn't worth it for a car worth maybe $4000. If I wreck it, then that's that.

Which forum are you on? I've had good luck with Wranglerforum. Remember that most Jeep people are the same as the tacticool folks on gun forums. They want the most expensive bomb proof thing you can buy just to roll over a few curbs. The people who are doing some real sh1t aren't asking questions on forums lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpression View Post

I used the 3M one on my passat. I didn't bother with the UV coating beyond whatever came in the kit. For the amount of effort, I'll just sand the hazing off again in a few years.

For some reason, mid 00's Lexus headlights are notorious for hazing. Every GX/LS/LX/IS of that era I see has yellow headlights. It looks JDM AF.