Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software... - Page 379 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #7561
dargorbr

My Ride: Civic
Good afr on full load would be 0.9 to 0.88 lambda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dargorbr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:54 AM   #7562
sda2

My Ride: BMW E46 330i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezh View Post
What is best step by step tune? (ex. AFR-> Disa -> ignition -> Vanos)
And what about safe AFR on WOT? Im pretty sure its good gain, if make it leaner, but how much?
I also want tu swap intake cam on my m52b28tu from m54b30, and already have m54b30 intake manifold and catless china headers. Maybe someone have same setup and could help with changes in maps, related to cam upgrade?
Log the engine with wideband (preferably on both cylinder banks) or if budget is low disable the full load enrichment and log lambda trims in idle and partload. then adjust your injection tables accordingly. (Engine will run lambda 1.00, so be carefull and retard some ignition angle at high load.

Activate full load enrichment again and scale it to your needs. Increase timing where you need it and hear/log for knock.

Then do two WOT logs from low rpm to limiter with DISA fully opened and fully closed, plot them in your favourite tool (MLV or Excel) and see where the lines cross each other. (Propably around ~4000rpm)

Then do VANOS tuning or copy from B30, it's upto you.
sda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #7563
Nedim

Hi! Can I ask you few questions. I cant find the answears. I have Ms43 Mb54b25. I use chipster MSS5x Flasher. I made a partial read. Open the ecu with tunerpro rt. . I am loading MS430056 xdf but maps are still without names and I cant find the tables to changes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_434863293798269_1570911477617.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	785713  
Nedim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #7564
Barracuz

My Ride: 01' 525i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
Hi! Can I ask you few questions. I cant find the answears. I have Ms43 Mb54b25. I use chipster MSS5x Flasher. I made a partial read. Open the ecu with tunerpro rt. . I am loading MS430056 xdf but maps are still without names and I cant find the tables to changes...
You have to do a full read first. Save this in multiple locations and name it stock.bin. This is your stock bin that you can reflash incase you do something wrong. Then you have to flash the full 512kb bin file to 'unlock' the dme. Once thats flashed read the partial and load that in tuner pro
Barracuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #7565
andyz28

My Ride: bmw e46 320i
friends i need your help please

my car is a 320i 2003 ms43
today I made my first attempt to change the software for version 69, my original software was 56
I downloaded the version 69 file and wrote it with the ms4x tool, the car started without any problem

but if I open the file in tuner pro with the XDF Siemens_MS43_MS430069_Community_Patchlist.xdf
and made some modification, for example activate the patch for immobilizer bypass and check sum bypass patch and make full write again the engine only cranks but wont start
already try removing the immobilizer patch and only use the check sum bypass patch and it is the same result, engine only cranks but wont start

I want to use the immobilizer patch since my key stopped working to close the car and open the trunk, so I bought new keys which I could already configure to work with the alarm but obviously the engine does not start with them, I want to be able to use them to start the car

I would like to know what prevents my engine from starting when I apply any of the patches, I don't think it's a problem with the check sum since the temperature needle stays on the blue side

please help me
andyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #7566
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: goes choo choo
Year: 2004
Model: 330Cic ZHP
Transmission: AT->5MT->6MT
Dont see why you'd need either of those patches

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #7567
andyz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
Dont see why you'd need either of those patches
I want to use the immobilizer patch since my key stopped working to close the car and open the trunk, so I bought new keys which I could already configure to work with the alarm but obviously the engine does not start with them, I want to be able to use them to start the car
Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 AM   #7568
sda2

Then find someone with an AK90 key/ews programmer that aligns your keys to the immo module
Old 10-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #7569
andyz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda2 View Post
Then find someone with an AK90 key/ews programmer that aligns your keys to the immo module
ok, And why not make the damn thing work?
I prefer an answer that is willing to help solve this and that works as it should, so for the launch control I better buy a wotbox or a beeR?
even Better, I remove everything and use megasquirt

this was supposed to help other enthusiasts to be able to work with this software and the ms43, not be mocking
Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #7570
sda2

Wow, calm down. The EWS delete was initially created to make it possible to swap an M54 engine into other non-EWS chassis. Not to fix problems introduced by other non working peripherals that can be fixed up with very little effort.

I successfully tested 430069 on at least 15 cars with every displacement version of the M54, so guess what, "the damn thing" works. Simply flashed with MS4X flasher, no boot mode, no hassle.

Everything published on MS4X is meant to be understood before any tool is started, firmware is flashed or bit is changed.

You mentioned the word "enthusiast". A real enthusiast reads through as much information as possible before blaiming the hard work of others who do all of this in their free time.
This includes reflecting your own ability to understand how this stuff works and when it's time to start over with reading and learning.

I'm the last person that refuses to help, but it pisses me off when people make us responsible for their own mistakes and shouting it into the public. Especially thinking that we HAVE TO make something work. We don't.

If you want to take the MegaSquirt route, nobody will hold you back. It's your decision, but I don't think it will be less work in the end

Otherwise, what steps have you done yet?
Old 10-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #7571
andyz28

Quote:
Wow, calm down. The EWS delete was initially created to make it possible to swap an M54 engine into other non-EWS chassis. Not to fix problems introduced by other non working peripherals that can be fixed up with very little effort.

I successfully tested 430069 on at least 15 cars with every displacement version of the M54, so guess what, "the damn thing" works. Simply flashed with MS4X flasher, no boot mode, no hassle.

Everything published on MS4X is meant to be understood before any tool is started, firmware is flashed or bit is changed.

You mentioned the word "enthusiast". A real enthusiast reads through as much information as possible before blaiming the hard work of others who do all of this in their free time.
This includes reflecting your own ability to understand how this stuff works and when it's time to start over with reading and learning.

I'm the last person that refuses to help, but it pisses me off when people make us responsible for their own mistakes and shouting it into the public. Especially thinking that we HAVE TO make something work. We don't.

If you want to take the MegaSquirt route, nobody will hold you back. It's your decision, but I don't think it will be less work in the end

Otherwise, what steps have you done yet?

I am not blaming you for anything, I simply mean that all the answers I have received are: why do you want to do that? you better do this, in the other thread a guy answered me with an insult in Spanish

Of course I am a good enthusiast and it is not my first time relating to this type of thing, currently also tuning my DSM and my focus ST so I am not so lost

I have read every word on the ms4.x net at least 15 times, I have already read all the posts in this thread and the other

The steps I take are:
1- read my ecu in boot mode with jmgarage to have a full back up (just in case)

2-write the file 0069 of the wiki using the MS4x flasher in full write mode (engine starts)

3- activated check sum and launch control patches and write again in full mode with MS4x (engine does not start)

4- activate the EWS patch and the checksum patch, write again in full mode (engine does not start)

5-use only the check sum or EWS patch, write in full mode (engine does not start)

6- use only the launch control patch, write in full mode (engine starts but the launch control does not work)

I already tried also editing the check sum to 165 as mentioned in some posts but it makes no difference

also try sync ews with inpa or with the flasher when car dont start but it doesn't work either

I also tried to erase the adaptations and dont make any difference

None of that has worked, I don't know what I'm doing wrong since I do everything according to the steps that are mentioned in the wiki and in all the posts that I read

i always get dtc 115 TPS adation from inpa when engine dont start
Old 10-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #7572
sda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyz28 View Post
The steps I take are:
1- read my ecu in boot mode with jmgarage to have a full back up (just in case)

2-write the file 0069 of the wiki using the MS4x flasher in full write mode (engine starts)
So far so good, I like the fact that you did a backup.

Quote:
3- activated check sum and launch control patches and write again in full mode with MS4x (engine does not start)

4- activate the EWS patch and the checksum patch, write again in full mode (engine does not start)

5-use only the check sum or EWS patch, write in full mode (engine does not start)

6- use only the launch control patch, write in full mode (engine starts but the launch control does not work)
For the EWS delete to work, you don't need the checksum to be disabled, leave the CHK patch untouched please.

In the flasher options, do not tick the check box for "Disable checksum correction".

Please flash only the EWS delete and try to start the engine. If it still doesn't work, perform bootmode reading of the ECU and send it to me via PM.

Quote:
i always get dtc 115 TPS adation from inpa when engine dont start
In the very very beginning of this thread I remember I have had problems with the throttle as well. I could start the engine but it went into limp mode until I cleared all DTC. I fixed that with reflashing the partial back in the days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ms4x_flasher.png
Views:	36
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	785997  

Last edited by sda2; 10-17-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #7573
andyz28

Quote:

For the EWS delete to work, you don't need the checksum to be disabled, leave the CHK patch untouched please.

In the flasher options, do not tick the check box for "Disable checksum correction".

Please flash only the EWS delete and try to start the engine. If it still doesn't work, perform bootmode reading of the ECU and send it to me via PM.

In the very very beginning of this thread I remember I have had problems with the throttle as well. I could start the engine but it went into limp mode until I cleared all DTC. I fixed that with reflashing the partial back in the days.

I already tried that, just using the ews patch without touching anything else and the engine does not start, also try using only the checksum patch without touching anything else and the engine does not start either

I'm going to do it again and send you a fresh read in boot mode
Old 10-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #7574
sda2

Does the flasher look like the picture I attached in my last post?

Edit: Please also clear adaptions after you flashed and power cycled the ECU.

Last edited by sda2; 10-17-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #7575
andyz28

Quote:
Does the flasher look like the picture I attached in my last post?
dont worry i already make sure the ckech sum was enabled

every time I made a flash I checked that the check box was not marked

I even tried checking the box and performing the checksum with the checksum corrector that is on the wiki but it also not worked, it made no difference
Old 10-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #7576
svgar

My Ride: e53 b30 01, e91 318d
Year: 2008
Hello! Installed the dashboard on the e53 b30 from the e53 b46. I applied the patch M Cluster LED Control, changed the checksum, filled it back in the dme, but the lights did not work (Do I need to finalize something else?
svgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #7577
brisasfrias2

My Ride: BMW E46 330CI
Year: 2001
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5spd
Quote:

i am also interested in the solution to this because i am kind of facing the same situation as the other gentlemen.
will read through and pay attention to your guys replies
brisasfrias2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:08 AM   #7578
donBogi

My Ride: 325i
Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software...

... so I was fine tuning the vanos settings while I could notice no difference in partload pushing or fuel economy... I did a log test drive and noticed that the Vanos intake only delivers around 97 degrees (nominal at 118 for example) at 100-200 kg/h of maf reading and at around 2-4000 rpm...

Going with less load produces the values I typed in, going full load gives the output I desire.

Also tested it by turning FL Vanos intake completely to 126 to see if the DME somehow steals the FL values for PL and finally also totally turned off FL.

All exhaust values are around optimum!

Can I assume that the Vanos unit is faulty, did somebody else some part load logs around highway speeds?

By the way, the throttle response with FL off is nice, I will adapt the FL injection a tiny bit, atm its at around 12 afr.

Edit: I put in some crazy values and the Vanos system approaches them a lot more. Ill be working with them now

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited by donBogi; 10-22-2019 at 04:54 AM.
donBogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #7579
Kmart-Kid

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2001
Model: 325XI Wagon
Transmission: Manual
Thats strange. Usually if the vanos is not working properly it wont work at all and be stuck at its default position 126x-105 and give check engine. You said you adjusted FL im asuming thats full load. Maybe by adjusting your FL values dme does not go into full load vanos map and instead stays in partload and vice versa.
Kmart-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:43 AM   #7580
donBogi

My Ride: 325i
Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software...

I have to edit this:

Around some load values the DME gives wrong target values. The Vanos reaches the nominal settings more or less.

If I throw the partload around 118 in the DME accepts them. Now I have to gradually step down until the sweet point.

Nice to know: I set up the last three positions in the FL map at 126 (b30 intake cam), the power is nice and maf values are being reached from the second to fourth gear (560-580 kg/h). Car pulls quite strong ip there. Peak power seems to be around 6500 rpm while it drops a few bits at 7000 rpm

Last edited by donBogi; 10-23-2019 at 04:41 AM.
donBogi is offline   Reply With Quote