***Recent Purchases*** - Page 896 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 232 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #17901
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
[Helmet]

Bell Bullitt Carbon
Vents you can't close? Granted, I can't say I've ever ridden with mine closed, so...

This is the helmet I'm currently sporting:

Bilt Raptor Shadow. Decent ventilation, great, snug padding, and my glasses slide on easily without having to fight said padding. My favorite feature is the built-in sun visor. No more swapping visors!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 10-22-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Picture size.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #17902
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Thinking about buying a Solo Stove Bonfire. Expensive for a fire pit, but should long outlast the cheap $100 ones from Home Depot. Anyone have one? I'm concerned about heat radius. I've seen one review where the reviewer said it didn't radiate much heat to the side. The near smokeless function is real though.

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove...EaAp0tEALw_wcB

WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #17903
Darkside213

My Ride: Daily Charger, 01 M3
Trail running shoes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #17904
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Thinking about buying a Solo Stove Bonfire. Expensive for a fire pit, but should long outlast the cheap $100 ones from Home Depot. Anyone have one? I'm concerned about heat radius. I've seen one review where the reviewer said it didn't radiate much heat to the side. The near smokeless function is real though.

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove...EaAp0tEALw_wcB
These look cool but I have also thought they seem like they may not put off a lot of heat, I have a regular old fire pit made from bricks in my yard which barely got any use this past summer/fall so while I have thought of grabbing one of these I have zero need for one.

bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #17905
MotorWerkz

My Ride: european
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Vents you can't close? Granted, I can't say I've ever ridden with mine closed, so...

This is the helmet I'm currently sporting:

Bilt Raptor Shadow. Decent ventilation, great, snug padding, and my glasses slide on easily without having to fight said padding. My favorite feature is the built-in sun visor. No more swapping visors!
that looks good.

MotorWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #17906
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
that looks good.
It's not too heavy, it breathes well, and the dual visor setup is very handy. It's also ECE certified, so that's a huge plus. For a $130 helmet, it's a bargain.

SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #17907
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I bought a small Honda generator to power our home fridge the next time PG&E shuts off our power for a few days. It should arrive today, hopefully before we lose service at our house (again).
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #17908
WDE46

Just move somewhere that actually has abundant resources.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #17909
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I bought a small Honda generator to power our home fridge the next time PG&E shuts off our power for a few days. It should arrive today, hopefully before we lose service at our house (again).
No solar panels at casa de Vader?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #17910
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Just move somewhere that actually has abundant resources.
What we need are better stewards of those resources, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
No solar panels at casa de Vader?
Nope. And even then, our friends who have solar were still sitting in the dark because although they had panels, they didn't have batteries to store the electricity those panels produced. There are a lot of people who are having a bit of a reality check about how prepared they are.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #17911
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:

Nope. And even then, our friends who have solar were still sitting in the dark because although they had panels, they didn't have batteries to store the electricity those panels produced. There are a lot of people who are having a bit of a reality check about how prepared they are.
Yeah, you get the kickbacks because the oanels put back into the grid. The batteries can affect the kickbacks and also cost a chunk. My sister got a deal on thenpanels because the company she works for installs them and uses their house as "showroom" of sorts. The batteries, OTH, cost more and weren't something they could gey a deal on.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #17912
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
Yeah, you get the kickbacks because the oanels put back into the grid. The batteries can affect the kickbacks and also cost a chunk. My sister got a deal on thenpanels because the company she works for installs them and uses their house as "showroom" of sorts. The batteries, OTH, cost more and weren't something they could gey a deal on.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yup. Most of the people I know who installed solar panels did so because it would reduce their monthly electric bill, not so that it would serve as a backup source of power during a grid outage.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #17913
Darkside213

My Ride: Daily Charger, 01 M3
Have you been hit hard with those shut offs? Here in Lincoln, most of our power is under ground so it doesn't really affect us thankfully

I had solar when I bought my house thankfully. I've never paid a dime for electricity. Battery is next.

Last edited by Darkside213; 10-23-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 AM   #17914
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside213 View Post
Have you been hit hard with those shut offs? Here in Lincoln, most of our power is under ground so it doesn't really affect us thankfully

I had solar when I bought my house thankfully. I've never paid a dime for electricity. Battery is next.

We got shut off for about 36 hours in the last one. This time we have not been affected. I picked up the generator at the FedEx store in town today (they required a signature so they couldn't just deliver to the house while we were at work) so now it's less of an issue.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #17915
WDE46

I smell Enron!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 10-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #17916
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
I smell Enron!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
PG&E is currently in bankruptcy and we're starting to hear cities (cities like San Jose) suggest that perhaps it's better to just dissolve PG&E and let someone else take over the power grid. I would be in favor of that--PG&E has demonstrated that they were extremely poor stewards of the public trust.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #17917
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Wait, they're actively shutting power down for 36hrs or it's just a routine power outage that happens with weather related stuff?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #17918
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Wait, they're actively shutting power down for 36hrs or it's just a routine power outage that happens with weather related stuff?
It's a preemptive shutdown to avoid having high winds/dry conditions spark additional wildfires like the ones that burned down the whole town of Paradise last year. That was determined to be PG&E's fault (and drove them into BK), so they are now turning the power off anytime they think we're going to have high winds that might blow down power lines.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #17919
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Quote:
It's a preemptive shutdown to avoid having high winds/dry conditions spark additional wildfires like the ones that burned down the whole town of Paradise last year. That was determined to be PG&E's fault (and drove them into BK), so they are now turning the power off anytime they think we're going to have high winds that might blow down power lines.
Jaysus. I had heard about the planned blackouts, but put so succinctly its pretty shocking.

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #17920
VaderDave
Invictus

It's pretty appalling. PG&E deserves to go out of business/existence.