It's BBQ season again! - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #81
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
LMAO!

Still bitter I see. If you're nice I'll mail you some of my leftovers after Thanksgiving.

... if there are any

... which there usually aren't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #82
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW

how about you make a cup of it for me, pack it up nice, and mail it to me and let me use it on something. you wanna stand by it that much, share the wealth, not the recipe... i'd love to try it

yes i'm being serious and if i need to send you $5-$10 for shipping and ingredients, i will.... its the least you could you, you selfish prick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #83
joeski3d

Hmm... considering logistics. I personally would have issues dining on some bird meat that someone made at home and then mailed to me. I salute your willingness to throw caution to the wind here. Perhaps if I ship it in a sealed styrofoam cooler packed in dry ice...?

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #84
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
He wants some of the rub not the turkey.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #85
joeski3d

There is no rub. There is brine and smoke and time.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #86
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
He mentioned rub and put in a cup so (that's what she said?)...yeah I don't know what he's talking about then.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #87
joeski3d

If not a cup of the smoked bird then I have no idea either. The brine is about 1/4 of the flavor contributor... an important part, for sure. But brine alone will not yield my masterpiece.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #88
JJR4884

Whoops i thought it was a rub that we were arguing about a few months ago when you decided to be a dick

You know I'm never going to let you live that down, right?

Which brings up another fun topic... if people make their own rubs and what not, lets share them. I am going to be perfecting one over the next couple months. I'll swap with someone at some point....

Old 05-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #89
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Whoops i thought it was a rub that we were arguing about a few months ago when you decided to be a dick

You know I'm never going to let you live that down, right?
A dick? Nah... I may be guarded about my smoked turkey process but (re-reads thread in question) ... ok... perhaps a tad dickish. But only because I was provoked.

Quote:
Which brings up another fun topic... if people make their own rubs and what not, lets share them. I am going to be perfecting one over the next couple months. I'll swap with someone at some point....
I have yet to attempt this. I probably should. I've got plenty of most core rub ingredients on hand. It's just so easy to buy good stuff off the shelf. It's almost like 'you can make your own pasta... but with a pound of the stuff going for <$2.00/box why bother'...

But a good, unique rub would make me proud.

This discussion inspired me to smoke a brisket this weekend. I will be picking it up tomorrow. Any rubs recommended?

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #90
JJR4884

Make your own rub... there are tons of recipes and ideas out there. I never buy "canned rubs"... i'll measure and mix my own spices. Correction, i usually just eyeball it lol.... I need to make a good rub, measured, in bulk... I even bought stainless steel shakers that can hold a cup of rub.

However for brisket... idk... last time i smoked a brisket i used salt, white pepper, paprika, brown sugar, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and idk a little something else. forgot. however... i used a good amount of brown sugar, not doing that again....

Old 05-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #91
joeski3d

Smoked my brisket on Sunday.
Rub: (basic)
2 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper (use fresh cracked pepper)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves (dried)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

Put the rub on Friday night and started the smoke Sunday morn.

Smoke: 6+ hours @ 280 deg F with mesquite and apple wood
Cooked until it reached 180 internal temp. Let rest for 20 mins before cutting.

Ballbusters Inc.

Last edited by joeski3d; 05-19-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #92
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
how original

try this

maple sugar, cocoa powder, ground chipotle peppers, vanilla, coffee, cinnamon
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #93
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
how original

try this

maple sugar, cocoa powder, ground chipotle peppers, vanilla, coffee, cinnamon
I'll experiment with that on a much more basic cut of meat before going all in on a brisket. They aren't cheap and the process takes a long time. If your concoction sucks it would have been a waste of weekend preparation and a total family-wide letdown.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #94
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I'll experiment with that on a much more basic cut of meat before going all in on a brisket. They aren't cheap and the process takes a long time. If your concoction sucks it would have been a waste of weekend preparation and a total family-wide letdown.
that's all?

how did the meat come out? as good as you wanted it to?
Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #95
joeski3d

I know for a fact that salt in the rub breaks down the proteins and helps tenderize the brisket which can come out rather tough if you don't know what you're doing.

Coffee can break it down a little, but it's best in liquid brine form if you really want to tenderize. I believe the mix you are suggesting (which lacks any real tenderizing agent) would work better on a hangar steak.

My brisket came out really quite good. It was still juicy but I think it needed just a little something extra. I'm going to make a mild sweet cream sauce to go with the leftovers.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #96
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I know for a fact that salt in the rub breaks down the proteins and helps tenderize the brisket which can come out rather tough if you don't know what you're doing.

Coffee can break it down a little, but it's best in liquid brine form if you really want to tenderize. I believe the mix you are suggesting (which lacks any real tenderizing agent) would work better on a hangar steak.

My brisket came out really quite good. It was still juicy but I think it needed just a little something extra. I'm going to make a mild sweet cream sauce to go with the leftovers.

I did one as well however I was unable to get the temp past 170... kinda pissed off about it but I did have it wrapped in foil for 30 min afterward and it was absolutely succulent...so juicy

The rub consisted of about 1/3 kosher salt, a little less brown sugar, then some white pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder, a little garlic and onion powder, and wrapped in aluminum foil overnight. Next time.... doing things a little differently. I am going to do a 24 hour brine, then do a dry rub overnight, then as i'm smoking, I am going to put it a bit closer to the offset box to get more heat into it. I really want to try to get the meat close to 195 without having to wrap it in foil and ruin that delicious bark

What are you using for charcoal? I've had good luck so far with royal oak lump charcoal, but I am thinking of trying briquettes just to see how much better the longevity of the heat is... i will always prefer lump but I am refilling my offset box about every 2 hours.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #97
217Bimmer

just grilled some elk stakes from my father in law. tenderized them with Worcestershire and then seasoned montreal style. came out pretty good. all the game we get from him is pretty lean, so it's not like a juicy steak. same with the venison. when i make burgers they aren't very juicy. deer loin comes out pretty good though and using ground venison in tacos, pasta sauce, etc is great!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #98
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
I only eat game meat rare like a steak. I find that they don't have enough fat to be a burger or anything like that, and if you add fat to them (like mixing in pork or something) then you kinda wasted the flavor of the meat. Having said that, I don't come across game meat often. The last time I had game meat I mead a skirt steak style taco out of em....olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, grilled on 800F coals for 1 minute per side, and it was game over.

NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #99
JJR4884

Speaking of game, i had elk and python jerky last week.... the elk was delicious, the python... good, different, could take or leave it... very salty, need to try it another way

Old 05-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #100
joeski3d

Quote:
What are you using for charcoal? I've had good luck so far with royal oak lump charcoal, but I am thinking of trying briquettes just to see how much better the longevity of the heat is... i will always prefer lump but I am refilling my offset box about every 2 hours.
My smoker is electric. I opted for that because regulating temps in one of those drum smokers can be a major pain in the ass. Steady heat is never an issue. No flair ups too.

For my grill I tend to favor lump because I find it adds flavor and the heat is comparable in duration to the briquettes. But, if there is a sale at Home Depot on Kingsoford briquettes... like they have on events like Memorial Weekend... they have 20 lbs of briquettes for >$10. SOLD!

Reminds me... I need to make a stop on the way home.

Ballbusters Inc.