zhp TS2 project. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
jason89i

My Ride: 88m3
zhp TS2 project.

I picked up a zhp with an ESS TS2+ twin screw. (8.5 psi w/o cams.) The twin screw has been on there for 70k miles. This is my first time with a boosted car. It will see some track time when I am done with it. Need your guys help.

I knew the engine would come out and the lysholm unit / snout rebuilt. I also wanted to go over EVERY gasket and have a good baseline.

Lysholm snout has leak. I plan on having the snout / lysholm unit rebuilt. Who should I send it to? PSE, jon bond, ???

Replace or just rebuild injectors? who?

Would like a proper tune. Who?

Has a uuc lwf and Kevlar clutch. pedal is too heavy for my liking. options?

Lots more to come, but on to the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8064.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	757625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8082.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	757627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8078.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	757629  
jason89i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Welcome to the club!!

I wonder if Whipple (who owns Lysholm now) can rebuild it for you? Looks like the lysholm unit and the intake manifold could use a fresh powder coat job.

I'd suggest looking into the 42lb Bosch green giant injectors. According to some online calculators the 30lb injectors are at like 90%+ utilization, and I wanted more headroom. If you go that route you will want to upgrade the fuel pump too for good measure. I'm running the M3 pump, but you can use a walbro too.

And then if you have 42lb injectors, then I can help you with a proper tune. My tune would work fine for the normal red 30lb injectors but would need the global fuel correction and injector dead times (c_ti_as, c_ti_min, c_ti_add_dly) re-scaled/updated accordingly, which Frank Smith could handle for you.

I track my car too, its a ton of fun. The ATI damper is expensive but makes a real noticeable change in smoothness of the engine, I added it for a little more insurance/peace of mind since my car sees track duty. No doubt at 180k on your motor the stock damper is shot.

By the way, since you will be tracking the car, we definitely should talk tune. The ESS tune is terrible on the track. I've solved the throttle issue and now have smooth predictable control of the throttle again, essential on the track.

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheelwell:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fuelly:

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 10-08-2018 at 08:12 PM.
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
jason89i

we should keep in touch. sounds like were on the same page.

ATI is definitely on my radar.
i had a fresh (only 2000 breakin miles) s50b32 sheer the crank key at gingerman.
i had an s54 blow a harmonics balancer at road america.
harmonics from high rpms can kill these motors.

assessing condition now and working out a game plan.

cheers, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
Phillips0417

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
That’s a really big sc pulley..

Welcome to the TS family. You could upgrade to the Whipple 1.7 or even better the 2.3

I was going to suggest Ryan for the tuning talk.
Phillips0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
jason89i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips0417 View Post
That's a really big sc pulley..

Welcome to the TS family.
Thanks! I guess i am part of the club now. How is your zhp project coming?

Eh, 79.5mm, is not THAT huge. But your right, it wont give me 18lbs like yours.

This should be good for my goals. pump gas, dual duty, inexpensive, reliable track toy. I know, I know.... no such thing as a good dual duty or inexpensive. I just need to get back onto the race track. And if i ball it up, i need to be able to walk away. (Will always keep the silver zhp for a daily.)

Cheers, Jason

Cheers, Jason

Last edited by jason89i; 10-10-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #6
rkneeshaw

I was wondering what size that pulley is, it looks like one of the early 83mm pullies ESS used to include in the kits. If memory is right, they are measured based on the OD of the high part of the belt grooves (on top of the grooves, not in between the grooves).

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 10-11-2018, 03:44 AM   #7
jason89i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I was wondering what size that pulley is, it looks like one of the early 83mm pullies ESS used to include in the kits. If memory is right, they are measured based on the OD of the high part of the belt grooves (on top of the grooves, not in between the grooves).
Not the 83. It was part of the ts2+ 8.5 kit. It does measure 79.5mm with the micrometer from the high point of the ribs.

When I first got the car, it showed 11+ psi on the top end. (Tough to believe.). Pressure readings are post screws, but pre intercooler. As it turns out, the laminova cores look clogged. So, those are coming apart for a good cleaning too.

Which reminds me, add “catch can” to the list. Does anyone make a catch can that self drains back to the stock dipstick line? Had an ls2 e30m3 thatt needed a catch can. track side maintenance (constantly draining it) was a pain. Looking to simplify.

Thanks. J
Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
MadToha

My Ride: E46 330 ESS Touring
I'm using manual draining catch can (sorry, it's in Russian) but I get quite little liquid there (and mostly in cold weather), so I don't think that auto-drain catch can is really required with that setup.

| ESS TwinScrew2++ 15psi 77mm pulley + SS Headers + S38 Flywheel&Clutch + MFactory LSD 3.07 + Koni Sport + Eibach Pro + ///M3-Look
=============================

= BMW + iBus + .NET MF + .NET PCL & UWP + Bluetooth + Arduino + STM32 + music + handsfree + DIY + DBus DS2 DME Logging + etc...
MadToha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #9
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
Year: 1999
Model: e39
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
bienvenido/welcome to the TS world......
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
paraklas

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason89i View Post
Not the 83. It was part of the ts2+ 8.5 kit. It does measure 79.5mm with the micrometer from the high point of the ribs.

When I first got the car, it showed 11+ psi on the top end. (Tough to believe.). Pressure readings are post screws, but pre intercooler. As it turns out, the laminova cores look clogged. So, those are coming apart for a good cleaning too.

Which reminds me, add “catch can” to the list. Does anyone make a catch can that self drains back to the stock dipstick line? Had an ls2 e30m3 thatt needed a catch can. track side maintenance (constantly draining it) was a pain. Looking to simplify.

Thanks. J
Went with the Mann Provent 200.

paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
rkneeshaw

I went with the m56 valve cover to help with cleaner air through the pcv

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 04-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Phillips0417

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Any updates?
Phillips0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #13
jason89i

Sorry for the delay.

Yes. Engine is in. Need to do some plumbing. I found the ess hose rubbed through and the intercooler out of fluid. The pump was pushing air.

Now I’m rerouting to my liking ( think swirl pot) where you can easily check that there is fluid moving. Using the drug bin and running all new lines. It’s done except for the intake. ...and need to put bumper on.

Housing issues (and running a small business... and being a father) has taken priority. Will post update shortly. J
Old 06-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
rkneeshaw

You're getting there, keep us posted, this sounds fun. I'm excited for you to get it on the road! And I hope you'll join me at Gingerman or Gratton this year sometime! I just picked up a set of Schricks so I'll finally be TS2+ sometime this summer. I'll keep my same 79mm pulley so that means boost should drop a PSI or so while making more power, so I hope that translates to slightly lower temps at the track. Running 11psi (pre cores, with 79mm pulley) has me a little worried about heat. On a 92 degree day last summer the car did get a bit hot after 3-4 hard laps. If it drops to 10psi then maybe that helps keep things a little cooler on those super hot days.

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 06-16-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
jason89i

making progress. All buttoned up. Need to flash and get an alignment.

Thought i would share my intercooler swirl pot. After taking the engine out, i found a failure in the intercooler hose. The system had been run dry and there was no coolant remaining. My solution was to make a clear swirl pot. It gave me the benifit of always being purged and I could visually check the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9146-small.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	779107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9145-small.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	779109  

Last edited by jason89i; 07-08-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #16
MadToha

cool idea with clear tank but bad idea with a pump located so high. it should be in the lowest point.

| ESS TwinScrew2++ 15psi 77mm pulley + SS Headers + S38 Flywheel&Clutch + MFactory LSD 3.07 + Koni Sport + Eibach Pro + ///M3-Look

= BMW + iBus + .NET MF + .NET PCL & UWP + Bluetooth + Arduino + STM32 + music + handsfree + DIY + DBus DS2 DME Logging + etc...
Old 07-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #17
jason89i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToha View Post
cool idea with clear tank but bad idea with a pump located so high. it should be in the lowest point.
Thanks. But I respectfully disagree. Pump doesn’t need to be lowest in system. Pump is directly below the surge tank. That’s the whole idea behind a surge tank.... you eliminate potential of drawing air.

We are all going to have air pockets. I will have the air trapped in the surge tank in lieu of air in the cooling system lines. The stock ESS system will have air trapped somewhere in the cooling system, that’s why you should keep yours mounted low.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:23 AM   #18
MadToha

yep, I agree, it will work when you have some coolant in the tank, but in the lowest point it will work even when the tank is empty but you have some coolant in the hose. on the other side, when the pump is located low with long hose from the tank, it's harder to bleed the system, so anyways I love your setup. can't do the same since I already have methanol there, and also my ess coolant pump is much larger then yours so I located it in bumper and added a tank near the throttle body connected with T-connection. not as perfect as yours go-through tank but it works almost the same

Old 07-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
rkneeshaw

Very cool, nice work Jason!

Build thread:

Wheelwell:

Fuelly:
Old 07-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #20
jason89i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Very cool, nice work Jason!
Thanks. Took it around the block yesterday. Getting alignment Monday.

Here's something weird.....
I CANT DRIVE IT! Car will NOT allow heel toe!
One touch of the brake and the throttle cuts off.
How can anyone downshift?
Is this an ESS thing?

rkneeshaw, Your tune is going in this weekend!

J

Last edited by jason89i; 07-13-2019 at 02:45 PM.