Engine whirring but not starting, new starter - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 02:41 AM   #1
Aventador_nb

My Ride: E46 323i
Hey guys, well I replaced my starter myself. I was quoted something like $960 to do it, figured I'd learn to do it my own way. I finished it up, needed to get a new battery, car turned on fine. I drove it about 15 miles total after (everything ran smooth, no issues whatsoever). My dad took it for a quick grocery run one day and when he came back out the store, the car wouldn't start. The engine or starter is making a whirring noise, quiet. Nothing mechanical, rough sounding. When I went to unplug the battery, I realized that one of my aftermarket amp wires had come loose, I believe on that same day that this happened. Do you guys think I shorted a fuse/relay maybe?

The fuel pump is new, maybe 6 months old. Starter is new. Battery turns on just fine. But when i turn the key, just hear the whirring. Engine oil is fine, tank is full. I'm stumped. Tried to find suggestions online and I can't find anything concrete. I want to try to attach a video to the post so you guys hear the sound I mention.

Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: I checked the fuses and replaced the 20A 3rd fuse, in the 5 fuse box under the hood just in case. Still the same behavior. Anything else I need to look at? I'm so tired of the car sitting around. I finally moved it after 4 months of it being dead, when I fixed the starter in spare time.

Last edited by Aventador_nb; 09-30-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Aventador_nb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
Aventador_nb

I'll make a YouTube video and post a link asap.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:01 AM   #3
Aventador_nb

Here's the link:

Last edited by Aventador_nb; 09-30-2019 at 03:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
What brand is the starter? Is it new or rebuilt?
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
What brand is the starter? Is it new or rebuilt?
It's new, Bosch.

EDIT: I don't remember where I bought it from, since it took me months to install.. but it was online.

Last edited by Aventador_nb; 09-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
Aventador_nb

Someone help me ***x1f629;***x1f629;***x1f629; I'm stumped. Completely lost about this.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
Aventador_nb

Quick update, it's not the fuel pump either. I double checked, the fuel pump is engaging as well.

?!?!??!! Mind blown.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
Aventador_nb

I unplugged the MAF, still no response from the engine. Constant whirring, still can't tell from what. It's as if something is slipping that's all I hear.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
mrkprsn

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Does the gear engage with the flywheel? If not, bench test the starter.
mrkprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:40 AM   #10
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkprsn View Post
Does the gear engage with the flywheel? If not, bench test the starter.
Hi, what do you mean by bench test? It's under the manifold, do you mean I should take everything out again to check the starter's condition?

I dont know if the gear is engaging with the flywheel? Because I just hear spinning, so I'm making the sad assumption that it might not be at this point.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #11
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 CiC, 330i
Is the crankshaft turning, ie is the pulley turning at the front of the car when you start?

It sounds like the starter is turning but is not engaging the flywheel. Strange as the starter gear needs to be pushed forward to engage when the solenoid activates to give the starter power. If the starter is turning but not the crankshaft, really the only options are to firstly check it hasn't come loose, and failing this, testing the unit.

Testing is done by removing the bolts and pulling it out but leaving the electrics connected. Touch the chassis of the starter on the engine and then get someone to turn the key. You should see the gear jump forward and the starter then turn.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote