Alpina Roadster S (soon to be) Supercharged by ESS - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #61
steelgrey330ci

My Ride: 2002 330ci
great stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19 x 8.5, 19 x 10 Hm2's/ASA CHARGER TM15 10.5 psi
Hamann Full Add-on kit/kw Varriant 2's coilovers
UUC Sway Bars/UUC M5 presure plate & 8.5lb flywheel
Sach II clutch/AA front and rear strut bars
Angle eyes/Technik Oil Cooler/Technik Headers
Technik FI cams 248/256/ 38lbs injecters
Supersprint Cat back/EVO 3 Short Shifter
Port & polish head, Ferra valves
Dyno 388RWHP & 325TQ To the wheels

CAR IS SOLD
steelgrey330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #62
Onurleft

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i View Post
WRITE-UP OF THE YEAR!!!

Such an absolutely gorgeous car! x 100.

You are a very fortunate individual to have a toy like that, I know many fanatics (myself included ) are very jealous.

I love every mod you've done to it- freakin flawless! ,
-Chris
x1000.

The car is amazing as it is. A 270whp all motor beast about to get one of the nicest F.I setups possible. I would dream to own this car
Your dyno sheets are incredible, 380who 411wt. Incredible power
Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #63
malina

My Ride: stock ZHP
This is a flawless roadster to start with. FI makes it even more enjoyable. Great dyno results @ 7 PSI. I guess, everyone is confusing H-M with ft-lb stating about craziness of the torque curve.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #64
FemmeT

My Ride: Alpina Roadster S
Thanks guys for all the comments.

I can't believe it's already almost a week ago I picked up the car in Norway. I decided to travel to Norway by car because I wanted to make a video and I wouldn't be possible to carry the gear back home in the small trunk of the Z4. I though about installing ESS' version of KITT but it was too expensive so I asked my friend Tom and fellow Z4 driver to travel to Norway so he could drive the car while I was handling the camera . We left on Thursday for the 1100km drive to a place called Uddevalla in Sweden, two hours away from Aremark where ESS is located. Everything went well although the speeds were a lot lower this time because most part of the Autobahn between Osnabruck and Hamburg is speed limited during the day. On the boat to Denmark I wanted to eat soup so badly I served myself something which later turned out to be a sauce (my understanding of the German language needs improvement). We arrived in Uddevalla at 21:30.

The next day we headed off to ESS' secret countryside HQ (which actually is not difficult to find if you have been there once). We arrived a bit earlier than expected by Hans. The car was parked outside with some test equipment still attached to it. We had a look at the engine bay, which looked very nice. Two Norwegian guys where there to have a 120d tuned to 215hp and we talked about the outrageous car prices and speeding tickets in Norway (one of the guys once got in jail for speeding). Cars in the Netherlands are expensive but in Norway it is pure theft. It's easily recognizable by the cars people drive that Germany and Sweden have a domestic car industry while countries like the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway don't, so the governments of these countries have no incentive to keep car taxes down to stimulate employment.

Asbjorn's 850i in pristine condition:

After a bit waiting Hans took the car for a final test of the lambda values and I took place in the passenger seat. The cold start was rough, like it has always been due to the aggressive camshafts in the Alpina engine and the need to comply with emission regulations. While Hans was warming up the engine it was obvious the car would run perfectly normal and very smooth at low speeds. The sound of the supercharger was barely noticeable. After the engine was warmed up, Hans launched the car uphill in second gear with very impressive acceleration.

After we returned to the shop we hang around there and talked about all kinds of things. Hans and Asbjorn are really cool guys and it's obvious they know a lot about these things. We hade a ride in a twinscrewed 520i automatic Asbjorn was working on. The performance of the car was very good 'considering there is no engine in it' (Asbjorn's words). Hans checked the fault codes of my Alpina B10 3.2 (there where vague German messages appearing on the display which I couldn't read because of pixel failures) and Asbjorn made use of this opportunity to read out the engine software of the B10. I had a look at the dyno graph for the first time and I was very impressed with the torque curve. I love the way it builds power all the way to the redline at 7200rpm. The torque improvement at lower revs is good but you still have to have to push it to extract maximum power.

It was already getting dark when I had my first test drive with Tom. I didn't push it very hard because of the wet conditions but I was already very impressed. The throttle response is very good and power delivery is just perfect. It's the closest you can get to a high revving engine without having one. We finally left ESS at 17:00 and drove to the hotel in the nearby city of Halden. We used the evening to shoot video at the parking of a shopping mall and the road nearby a very cool looking factory with lots of steam coming out of it. The next day we filmed on the road from Halden to ESS untill sun was set. We visited the Swedish customs where a smart guy pointed out my last name is an English verb and my first name means woman in French... I had some fun on the road to Goteborg, Sweden. The car is so fast, it's like a translocator in a shooting game. You shift down, push the throttle and the next moment you are in a different place. The engine feels powerful yet refined. If Alpina would still be making crazy fast cars like in the eighties this would be part of their lineup.

The next day we travelled home from Goteborg in Sweden. The roads in Sweden were just empty. No one was there, so it was difficult to obey the speed limits of only 110-120km/h. When we arrived in Germany we joined the millions of Germans who decided to drive from Hamburg to Osnabruck on a Sunday evening. I managed to do a few runs to 7000rpm (~280km/h). Tom was behind me pushing the B10. It's not the fastest car on the planet but it's certainly not slow with about 274HP. Everytime I pressed the throttle I opened a gap of several hundred meters in just no time. The car moves so easily between 120 and 180km/h in sixth gear it's just incredible. You need very little space to pass other cars who are driving at higher speeds.

Last edited by FemmeT; 11-20-2008 at 04:15 PM.
FemmeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #65
FemmeT

My Ride: Alpina Roadster S

I haven't driven it a lot since we arrived back home. There is a knocking noise coming from a diff when accelerating, which could be a broken hardy disk. I will have the car seviced next week.

I haven't made a lot of pictures this time. The photos in these posts are made by Tom. I'm still working on the video. It takes a lot of time to get in right. I wasn't able to make all the shots I wanted but still I think it's going to be nice. Here a some screen captures:

Last edited by FemmeT; 11-20-2008 at 04:23 PM.
FemmeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #66
AMG-ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
amazing pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #67
LABMW13

My Ride: M3, 330i, '89 325i
Wow beautiful pics and roadster

M3: SSR GT3 Wheels, H&R Coilovers, JL 12" W6, Eisenmann 83mm, SS Headers, 4.10's, CF CSL Trunk & Diffuser, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann CF front lip, 3000k Fogs, NX 125 Shot
UUC Parts: SSBC Brakes, Lines, Sway bars, 8LB Flywheel, twin disc clutch, Evo 3 Shifter, RK7A Shift Knob, CF E-brake, Rasp-X Mid Pipes
Coming Soon: VRS Vented Race Hood & VCSL CF Roof Panel
LABMW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #68
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
i just love the way your car looks. the spoiler the rims it's perfect compliments to the Z4 chassis, and now all the power lurking underneath

mcr_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #69
AntB

My Ride: MTA :(
Dammit I want one so bad now.

AntB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #70
[email protected]
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
Amazing car, amazing owner. Looking forward to the video!
Sales@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:43 AM   #71
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
amazing

BruceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 AM   #72
czechchamp

My Ride: IS 250

2001 330i Sport | Manual | ASA | DICE | H&R | StopTech | ZHP rack | SOLD
czechchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:53 AM   #73
whiplash

Thank you for this topic , the pictures are great too

There'is something strange in your picture of the front of the engine with the crankcase ventilation hose. It's not the same route on my TS2
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #74
Fluxe46

My Ride: is low and slow
Send a message via AIM to Fluxe46 Send a message via MSN to Fluxe46 Send a message via Yahoo to Fluxe46
god i love that car
and your photography is stunning

Fluxe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #75
EMPORIOO

My Ride: 330ci, 335i
amazing photos, what kind of lense are you using?

EMPORIOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #76
giving_birth

My Ride: 316i E46
Enjoy it good health mate!

Looking forward for the vid though!!!!!
giving_birth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #77
[email protected]
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Thank you for this topic , the pictures are great too

There'is something strange in your picture of the front of the engine with the crankcase ventilation hose. It's not the same route on my TS2
You are correct, there are several custom modifications done to the TS2 to bolt it to the S52 based Alpina engine.
Asbjorn@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:39 AM   #78
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You are correct, there are several custom modifications done to the TS2 to bolt it to the S52 based Alpina engine.
AJ, just curious, why was 7PSI the chosen boost for this engine and not the typical 8PSI?
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #79
[email protected]
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330 View Post
AJ, just curious, why was 7PSI the chosen boost for this engine and not the typical 8PSI?
We have never worked on the Alpina engine before and wanted to be very conservative to avoid the potential for problems.
Asbjorn@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #80
ebelizard

My Ride: has epic grills
Thats so sick. Ive been to Norway and Sweeden a number of years back, and this thread reminds me how beautiful it is. Might have to make a trip back

ebelizard is offline   Reply With Quote